Carrier to Far East

zorrosuncle

Hi --

Am considering taking a cruise out of Japan and terminating in Shanghai. All three major American carriers fly there and back. Was wondering if they have the same crazy seating classifications on these international flights as I have been reading about here for the U.S. -- the less than basic economy fare, which I am sure the cruise lines will use. I need close access to restrooms as well as the need for a certain amount of standing time to bar against CVT. On a long flight to Argentina two years back -- 12.5 hours --I got stuck in a middle seat, and the young woman who took the aisle seat, wouldn't let me out for the entire trip!

Do foreign carriers have the same kind of seating craziness? When will the U.S get rid of this oligopoly structure for our airline industry?

ZU

Why didn't you press the call button for the flight attendant, if someone wouldn't let you out? It's very odd you would just sit there and suffer.

Not sure what you are asking. If you are worried you can't choose a seat in advance, that's typical with a lot of carriers now. However, many will allow you to do so, you just have to pay for it.

Solution: choose an airline that allows advance seat selection and be prepared to pay for it. Consider skipping cruise air and booking it yourself. That gives you total control over airlines and flight choices.

If your concern is about the big 3 US airlines you don't have to fly them.

Other options include Air Canada (connecting in Toronto or Vancouver) as well as a host of airlines based out of Asia such as JAL, Cathy Pacific, Asiana, EVA, etc....

As was said, you are not limited to US carriers -- book your flight yourself (don't let the cruise line arrange your flight), and make sure you can choose your flight yourself.

And if you need to get out of your seat, do so. It's your right, and enlist the help of the flight attendants if you need to.

Where are you flying from? I would pick a Asian airline over a US any day of the week. Service will be better and usually extra seat pitch. Try seatguru.com to compare seat pitch and seating arrangements. You should choose an aisle seat so you can get up anytime you want. ANA, JAL, Cathay Pacific are good choices

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As was said, you are not limited to US carriers -- book your flight yourself (don't let the cruise line arrange your flight), and make sure you can choose your flight yourself.

And if you need to get out of your seat, do so. It's your right, and enlist the help of the flight attendants if you need to.

Ugh.....I should have said "....choose your seat yourself."