Karib Golf Cart/We had good experience

luvtovaca

Just wanted to come back on here and say we had a positive experience with Karib on Christmas Day. I know there have been mixed reports. We had pre-reserved 2 golf carts and they were very responsive to all correspondence. They were waiting exactly where they said they would be and our carts were ready to go. Gave us a map, some instructions and collected our balance (of course!) and the $6 for gas. Boogie was a hoot giving us his take on the island! Carts were in OK shape. One was slower than the other. If we didn't have 2 we probably wouldn't have noticed. I would definitely recommend them.

• 3 weeks later...
Once we come out of the port in T & C, where do we find Kairb to rent their golf carts?

Once you go through the gates at port, you will see them. All of the vendors are set up right there. You cannot miss them. They will be on the right.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi would you suggest renting carts ahead of time or once we get there. Two couples, no kids. Leaving on our cruise February 12th. Thanks!

I would personally recommend renting ahead of time so you know you get them. There may be a ship in port when you get there, depending on what time you're set to arrive. That way you know you have one.

I would love to book the golf cart ahead of time, but I don't know if it will just be the two of us, or more of our party, until we get there.

It's a regular golf cart, which holds 4 people. You will PROBABLY be okay to secure one now and get 1 more when you get there. I just always like to have things taken care of up front.

• 3 weeks later...
$90 is the better price?

Yes, because with others you have to fill them up with gas. ($5.75+ gallon). Karib is a flat $6 gas charge. When we went with our friends to the light house, they had Nathan's and had to put gas in theirs. It cost them around $18 to top it off with gas.

Do not rent golf carts from Karib. The golf carts are junk. We noticed our cart went very slow and but we got all the way to the lighthouse. There the golf cart would not start. When they called Boogie, he came out on a four wheeler. Said he knew that this cart had a problem with holding charge and it was a piece of junk. Had to wait two hours for some hateful women to deliver another golf cart. By this time we only had around 1-1/2 hours to get back to ship and we still had to come to back from lighthouse. We turned in as soon as we got back out of fear of breaking down again. Told them that we should get some of our money back since one they knew there was a problem with the cart and we spent most of the time waiting on them to replace. Said we were lucking that he delivered another one. Never again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do not rent golf carts from Karib. The golf carts are junk. We noticed our cart went very slow and but we got all the way to the lighthouse. There the golf cart would not start. When they called Boogie, he came out on a four wheeler. Said he knew that this cart had a problem with holding charge and it was a piece of junk. Had to wait two hours for some hateful women to deliver another golf cart. By this time we only had around 1-1/2 hours to get back to ship and we still had to come to back from lighthouse. We turned in as soon as we got back out of fear of breaking down again. Told them that we should get some of our money back since one they knew there was a problem with the cart and we spent most of the time waiting on them to replace. Said we were lucking that he delivered another one. Never again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ouch, sorry you had bad luck with them. They come highly recommended with lots of good reviews though. I think the problem is so many people rent golf carts and if you aren't there to get the 'pick of the litter' early you may get stuck with a bad one. Hope you have better luck next time on the island.

I tried to book with them for next Tuesday and was told they didn't have anything available. He said that two of their carts are out of service and suggested checking with MaxKart and Nathans. I knew that Nathans had some bad reviews (also cart breakdowns) and no online booking and was able to book online with MaxKart, so I'm trying them.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I rented from MaxKart last week and have a mixed review. The good news, he was waiting outside the gate and had the cart for me, and he only charged me $5 for the gas (I paid $90, same as Karib). The bad news, my cart went slower than the others I started out following, the rear-view mirror didn't stay in place, and we didn't have seat belts that at least one of the other carts had. It also backfired a few times. However, we got all around the island, even out to the lighthouse, it worked the whole time, and no one got hurt :). Also, you can book online thru their website, which Karib doesn't have (you have to email them and then they send you a link once they verify that they have a cart for you).

It seemed like Max used to be part of Karib and they parted ways. Amusingly, when I returned the cart, Max wasn't there and the guy from Karib told me to use them the next time. I told him I wanted to this time but was told they did not have one. He told me that the person who handles the email is someone different and he implied that they actually had a cart available.

http://www.maxkartautorentals.com/

Misterbill99, thanks for reporting back. To tell you the truth, I am still puzzled, with your comments, which were really fine. I have been in touch with Max karts, but after what you said, makes me wonder if I should go with Karib???? I'm sure you cannot answer my question, so time will tell when we get there next week.:confused:

Misterbill99, thanks for reporting back. To tell you the truth, I am still puzzled, with your comments, which were really fine. I have been in touch with Max karts, but after what you said, makes me wonder if I should go with Karib???? I'm sure you cannot answer my question, so time will tell when we get there next week.:confused:

The good news is that Max is really good about responding to emails. And he didn't make me fill up the gas and only charged me $5 as opposed to having to buy gas on my own, which made them as good as Karib in that respect.

The bad news is that I did not like the cart I was given. I probably should have turned around and gone back when I saw how slow it was going, but I was following other carts. And we did make it everywhere, with plenty of time to spare.

I think that each company has their own horror stories. I read one where a cart died out at the lighthouse and they had to get someone to come pick them up. At least that did not happen to me.