Any area's in Aruba that are considered "bad" and must avoid? Transportation?

mitsugirly

Since we have only been to Aruba once, I'm not very familiar with the areas.

Are there any "bad" area's that you would want to avoid (not trying to "stereotype" but something that would be considered a high crime area/ghetto area/not safe to walk alone in area).

As also, whether at home or on vacation, always be aware of your surroundings, walk with someone and so on. I know this...I'm not looking for this type of lecture. I want to know if there is an area that should be avoided.

When we were there last, we took a bus that ran all the way from Arashi beach at one end, to the cruise port. Do the buses also run in the other direction? How far? Do they go to Baby Beach?

Is the best means of transportation to rent a car? How long would you say that it would take to drive all the way around the outskirts of Aruba?

Thanks in advance

I haven't heard of "bad areas"...doesn't mean there aren't any! The places that would be of interest to a cruiser, or vacationer, in general, wouldn't be in "neighborhoods"...so I don't think you have much to worry about. A guidebook will detail safety in each port they cover....worth a read!!

I haven't heard of "bad areas"...doesn't mean there aren't any! The places that would be of interest to a cruiser, or vacationer, in general, wouldn't be in "neighborhoods"...so I don't think you have much to worry about. A guidebook will detail safety in each port they cover....worth a read!!

We are considering a land vacation here (since our last cruise to Aruba we loved it so much we decided that we'd like to vacation here as well and experience more of Aruba) and have been looking at places to stay with airbnb....so those places are in neighborhoods. That's why I'm asking if there's any that should be avoided.

What guidebook are you referring to? Where do you find this book?

Hi Kim! I'm glad that you enjoyed your cruise stop in Aruba so much that you are now considering a land vacation. Also, look at timeshare rentals. That's what we always do, and we save a ton of money that way. We like to eat breakfast and lunch in our timeshare condo, and go out to dinner. Most also have grills, and sometimes we grill for dinner. Take a look at redweek.com. They have great selections. Also, look at each resort's website, as. many have an owner's board, where they list weeks for rent.

As far as bad sections, San Nicholas is pretty rough. We stop at Charlies Bar in San Nicholas when we drive through there on our way to Baby Beach, but that is during the day. Savanetta is a very pretty town, but it is very far from the resort area, with not much to do. Also, most of the private homes do not have hot water, which is a must for us. Also, that would include most of the apartment listings that are not along the resort strip. I wish that this site had a way to send private messages. I could give you a lot more info that way. Since you are so tech savvy, you might know a way to do this.

I think that I've read almost all of your trip reports. I'm reading Bermuda right now.

One more thing - about transportation, I believe that there is a bus that goes to Baby Beach. You have to change buses in San Nicholas. I have no idea how long it would take to get there by bus, but probably a long time. I don't know how the buses work if you stay in a neighborhood. Most people who stay outside of the resort area rent cars. We are going for our 10th trip in Feb. We don't do much of the touristy things any more because we've done them so many times. We usually just spend our days on the beach. If we rent a car, we just rent one for a couple of days, and drive to a few spots and restaurants. Other than that, we walk, take a taxi, or take a bus, although we didn't use the bus at all the last time that we were there.

Hi Kim! I'm glad that you enjoyed your cruise stop in Aruba so much that you are now considering a land vacation. Also, look at timeshare rentals. That's what we always do, and we save a ton of money that way. We like to eat breakfast and lunch in our timeshare condo, and go out to dinner. Most also have grills, and sometimes we grill for dinner. Take a look at redweek.com. They have great selections. Also, look at each resort's website, as. many have an owner's board, where they list weeks for rent.

As far as bad sections, San Nicholas is pretty rough. We stop at Charlies Bar in San Nicholas when we drive through there on our way to Baby Beach, but that is during the day. Savanetta is a very pretty town, but it is very far from the resort area, with not much to do. Also, most of the private homes do not have hot water, which is a must for us. Also, that would include most of the apartment listings that are not along the resort strip. I wish that this site had a way to send private messages. I could give you a lot more info that way. Since you are so tech savvy, you might know a way to do this.

I think that I've read almost all of your trip reports. I'm reading Bermuda right now.

Thanks so much for the info on redweek.com. I'll check into it. Is that a timeshare place?

I have been trying to do a search on the "not so nice" places in Aruba and found a forum that said to avoid San Nicolas because there are a lot of car break-in's and also prostitution is legal there. Another that I read was Pos chikito, but I don't remember the reason why. Then Moomba Beach was mentioned beside the Marriott. Lastly they said avoid the Senior Frogs alley downtown due to it being dark and secluded and a lot of fights break out there.

I'll take note about the "no hot water" houses and inquire about that. I was able to put "a/c" in my search to make sure the homes had air, but didn't realize no hot water.

Glad you are enjoying my reviews. I appreciate the comments. The only way to get in touch with someone is e mail. mitsubishigirl19 and I'm at hotmail. :D

One more thing - about transportation, I believe that there is a bus that goes to Baby Beach. You have to change buses in San Nicholas. I have no idea how long it would take to get there by bus, but probably a long time. I don't know how the buses work if you stay in a neighborhood. Most people who stay outside of the resort area rent cars. We are going for our 10th trip in Feb. We don't do much of the touristy things any more because we've done them so many times. We usually just spend our days on the beach. If we rent a car, we just rent one for a couple of days, and drive to a few spots and restaurants. Other than that, we walk, take a taxi, or take a bus, although we didn't use the bus at all the last time that we were there.

Thanks so much for the info. I think we would probably have to rent a car. I would like to just take a day and start driving the entire island and checking out each beach and scenery along the way. Any places you would suggest as a "do-no-miss" place? I seen on google earth that they have some caves (although I'm torn about this because I feel like I have seen caves so much during my life that if you've seen one, you've seen them all type of thing). Other than beaches and just checking out the towns...is there anything else I should look to do?

Where do you suggest would be a good place to stay (as in what area)? If we have a car, then driving shouldn't be an issues going anywhere. I had even considered staying maybe on one side of the island for a few days and exploring that side and then heading to the other side and staying a few days and exploring. (I'm talking along the same coast... i.e. over by Baby Bay and then over toward Arashi).

Thanks so much for the info on redweek.com. I'll check into it. Is that a timeshare place?

I have been trying to do a search on the "not so nice" places in Aruba and found a forum that said to avoid San Nicolas because there are a lot of car break-in's and also prostitution is legal there. Another that I read was Pos chikito, but I don't remember the reason why. Then Moomba Beach was mentioned beside the Marriott. Lastly they said avoid the Senior Frogs alley downtown due to it being dark and secluded and a lot of fights break out there.

I'll take note about the "no hot water" houses and inquire about that. I was able to put "a/c" in my search to make sure the homes had air, but didn't realize no hot water.

Glad you are enjoying my reviews. I appreciate the comments. The only way to get in touch with someone is e mail. mitsubishigirl19 and I'm at hotmail. :D

redweek.com is for timeshare rentals and resales. We've used it many times. I just mentioned to someone else on this board that San Nicholas is rough, and that we only go there during the day. I'll email you soon so that you can ask me questions directly.