Taxi From The Brooklyn Cruise Terminal To Manhattan

jonbo300

Hi All,

I was looking through the threads to work out the best way to transfer from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan. My party of 4 adults are arriving in QM2 at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal on November 19th and looking for a transfer to a Midtown hotel.

Are there numerous waiting cabs available at the terminal for the journey into Manhattan?

Are yellow cabs allowed to pick up at Pier 12 since they have originated from Manhattan, and would the boro lime cabs take a party into Midtown Manhatten? And what would a typical fare be?

Would one cab be sufficient for 4 adults and 4 pices of luggage and 3 pieces of small carry on luggage?

Alternatively, would the experts recommend the car service transfer by Arecibo, rather than that of carmellimo.

I apologise if the topic has been covered previously.

Thanks

Both yellow taxis and the boro taxis can take you from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to Manhattan. The fare depends on exactly where you're going, route taken and traffic conditions, but about $30 plus tolls (a bit over $5 for the Hugh Carey Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel and tip (15-20% is customary) is a reasonable estimate. While 4 adults can in theory ride in a taxi, 4 adults plus that much luggage probably can't and you'd need a mini van or SUV taxi...which may not be available at the pier when you need it.

Because of your luggage I think it would make sense to book a mini van in advance from a car service such as Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com or Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com . Expect to pay a flat rate fare of somewhere between $50 and $75 dollars (Carmel tends to be less expensive than Dial 7) plus tolls and tip (as above). If you wait until disembarkation and call Arecibo they may not have the larger vehicle you need immediately available, which is why I recommend an advance booking.

Hi njhorseman,

Thanks so much for your quick reply with all the information, I really appreciate your time spent answering my query. You have made me think, and I think I should take your advice and pre-book a transfer from the Cruise Terminal. I had been thinking of getting a yellow cab at the exit gate, but, as you suggest, we would probably require a larger vehicle to carry all our luggage. It makes sense to pre-order with Dial7 or Carmello and avoid any complications at the dock side.

Depart for New York one month to the day now!! Can't wait to see the Big Apple!!

Best Wishes,

jonbo

• 5 months later...
Hi njhorseman,

Thanks so much for your quick reply with all the information, I really appreciate your time spent answering my query. You have made me think, and I think I should take your advice and pre-book a transfer from the Cruise Terminal. I had been thinking of getting a yellow cab at the exit gate, but, as you suggest, we would probably require a larger vehicle to carry all our luggage. It makes sense to pre-order with Dial7 or Carmello and avoid any complications at the dock side.

Depart for New York one month to the day now!! Can't wait to see the Big Apple!!

Best Wishes,

jonbo

So, what finally happened on your venture to get into NY

Did it work out well, who did you use , cost and what hotel did you stay at pls

We will be on the QM2 for July 2015 and first time in NY for us, will stay a few days

Thank you

Edited by Robbar

Hi Robbar.

We had a excellent crossing on QM2 from Southampton into New York. The ship approaches Manhattan from about 5.00am and docks about 07.00am. Many passengers were on deck from that time to witness the approach into New York. Our sailing was in November. It was still dark and and it was rather cold and windy, but the entrance into New York Bay was memorable. Manhattan looming, all lit up, and the sun eventually rising. And the approach under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Shouldn't be missed.

The Cunard procedure is to allocate a disembarkation time for each deck, and for each passenger to leave their luggage outside the cabin for collection on the previous evening. However, I would strongly suggest that you self-disembark and carry your own luggage off the ship as soon as possible. That way you will clear immigration quickly and avoid any long queues which can build up. The added bonus is that you are amongst the first in the taxi rank outside the cruise terminal building in Red Hook in Brooklyn. There was a continuous taxi stream which was marshalled by the Port Authority. So no worries or problems in getting a taxi. The fare to Midtown Manhattan was about $34 if I remember correctly.

We stayed in Pod39 which was a wonderful trendy pod type hotel near Grand Central Station and paid about £95 per room per night. Brilliant location and only a few minutes walk to Rockefeller Center and to the Empire State Building. I booked the hotel through the American website www.cheaptickets.com ( part of the Orbitz travel group) which always seems to have a discount code of between 10 and 18% off the price of many hotel rooms advertised on the website. Incidently, I just booked the Hard Rock Hotel in Orlando this evening with cheaptickets.com and the coupon code on the website was for an 18% discount.

We had just one night in New York before flying back to the UK with Norwegian Airlines to Gatwick. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the flight was in the new Boeing B787 Dreamliner. The flight departed on time, very comfortable and arrived 20 minutes early into Gatwick.

I would love to go back to New York on QM2 but nothing planned. I'm being dragged to see the Mouse in Orlando in June by my daughters! However, I've booked my £10 ticket for the half hour cruise on the Mersey Ferry to sail around the 3 Queens during their visit to Liverpool on May 26th!! But not quite the same!! Anyway, have a brilliant time, and send me a pm if you wish any further info

Best Wishes,

jonbo

Edited by jonbo300

• 1 year later...

Our party of 4 adults plus luggage will be disembarking the QM2 on 26 Nov 2016 and will require a transfer to our hotel in midtown NY. Can anyone advise if we will require 2 taxis or whether we could fit into 1 or would we be better pre-booking a SUV before we sail from the UK on the 19th Nov. Many thanks.

Our party of 4 adults plus luggage will be disembarking the QM2 on 26 Nov 2016 and will require a transfer to our hotel in midtown NY. Can anyone advise if we will require 2 taxis or whether we could fit into 1 or would we be better pre-booking a SUV before we sail from the UK on the 19th Nov. Many thanks.

I'd recommend booking a minivan or small SUV with Carmel Limo or Dial 7.