Freedom Review - March 2017 - Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

kc58ab

Hello everyone! I just got off the Carnival Freedom Saturday cruising from Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. I took this cruise last minute with my daughter (20) and my best friend and her daughter (20).

I've been to Cozumel several times, but it was my first to Jamaica and Grand Cayman.

First off the boarding was a nightmare! Heard they were late into port, which would make sense bc my 12 to 12:30 check in time took 3 hours to get through the lines alone! Last year from New Orleans this process was quick on a bigger boat (Dream).

Although it took awhile to get on board, my room was ready when we finally got on which was nice.

Food : We ate every night in the MDR and it was as expected, good. Same for Sea Day Brunch which we did several times. Guys Burgers were still a big hit for me (and I'm not a huge burger fan). Blue Iguana I only made it to once for breakfast, but the bfast burritos are yummy as well. Fish and chips was gone :( Replaced in the same area with Barbque place. It was okay...not the best. Ate there once, for lunch on 1st day as expected it has short lines bc people don't seem to realize it is there right away. Mac and cheese has no flavor at all and not cheesy either. The beans were editable, nothing to write about. I had the pulled pork sandwich and it was decent, I did like the brown sugar barbque sauce.

Shows: I caught the Island Getaway which was really corny. I wouldn't watch it again. All the other shows were ones I saw 2 years ago on the Freedom. I was bit bummed they don't mix it up more than that. The Marriage shows is always good entertainment though.

Comedy: was excellent. Carolin Pickard was the best I've seen on any of the cruises I've been on. If you are offended by cursing she need to catch PG show bc she is quite colorful. Also saw Billy Washington and he was very funny as well. Unfortunately I thought I kept the paper with the names from the boat but I guess I didn't. We saw another guy, his last show was called Stupid People. He wasn't that great in my opinion.

Excursion:

Jamaica - We did Pearly Beach. It was a close ride from the port. The beach was private so no hassling from locals. They had a life guard and security there. Don't bother with lunch, bc you can buy the same lunch for $10 so that will be cheaper than paying $20 more. Bottle of soda is $3. You get small cup of rum punch when you arrive even without the lunch inclusive. The beach was pretty and had soft sand. The best part was it was NOT crowded at all. I think it is a newer made beach bc there weren't may reviews on it. There was a small waterfall just off the secured area that I wish I could have gotten closer look at. The main negative is the water area gets deep fast. I'm 5'5 and it was over my head just floating very quickly. Be careful with younger kids or non swimmers.

Grand Cayman - This place is BEAUTIFUL, I have got to go back! We did the turtle farm, stingray, Hell excursion. I was nervous about the 30 min ride to the sandbar, but it was calm and relaxing ride. The stingrays were amazing. The water is so clear you can see them swimming all around. I've never seen such gorgeous water. Everyone should do this at least once. They take pics of you with the stringrays. You can purchase for $25, glad I bought them. They email the pics to you. Wasn't too bad of a price for 5 pics and they stand in the way so you cannot really have someone else to take a good one for you on your own camera.

The turtle farm was a great time as well. You get to see several difference sizes. You can hold the smaller ones and take your own pics so skip posing for theirs. Note: I didn't realize at the time I ordered that there are 2 excursions with the same description with slight price difference. Go for the more expensive one bc otherwise there are several areas you cannot go into.

Hell was a quick stop thankfully. It seemed pointless to me. I thought maybe there would be a funny postcard I could send from "Hell" but no funny ones. And the postage is stamp to say from hell is small and costs.

You also stop at shopping area. You are rushed, no real time to shop around. Also the only took exact change or cards so almost no one bought anything. The rum cake sample was tasty. I would have bought some if could got change....

Cozumel - We did the inclusive beach day with sea lion show at Chankanaab. I would do this again. I had been once 13 years ago when my daughter was little to swim with the dolphins and it is so different now. They have a good size beach area, you can snorkel with equipment use included. It wasn't the best snorkeling I've done, but worth the time for sure. We saw quite a few different types a fish. They have a nice pool with a swim up bar that I spent a lot of time in. Small buffet lunch and drinks including alcohol was included. The sea lion show was cute. You could see some of the dolphins but have to pay to interact with them.

Last 24 hours on the boat was ROUGH! There were 8-10 foot waves and I was in bed most of the day. The rest of the cruise was great. Perfect weather and minimum boat movement. The room wasn't as cold as I like, but it was cool which was a big improvement from the Dream last year.

Sad note my daughter left $200 cash in the safe and her debit card. I called Carnival to see if someone could check and they said they would and get back to me. Over 24 hours later still haven't heard anything. I would like to think people would be honest and turn it in but if not I guess I know Troy my steward wasn't.

I really had a pleasant time and no real complaints. The MDR staff was excellent. Emy, Oxana, and Arfin made each night dining great.

If you have any questions...feel free to ask. Thanks for the read. :D

Sounds like you had a great cruise, overall.

I don't know that I would automatically blame your steward. Nobody knows if they check the safes after you leave.

Clearly YOU didn't check it. Was it still locked? If so, how would HE check it?

Give them time. There are honest people out there.:D

Question:

We scheduled an excursion at the Sea Turtle Farm. I got the one that included lunch and that's all the excursion is, is the turtle farm and lunch. Hoping we get to do all areas of the farm? I didn't realize there were different portions.......

Sounds like you had a great cruise, overall.

I don't know that I would automatically blame your steward. Nobody knows if they check the safes after you leave.

Clearly YOU didn't check it. Was it still locked? If so, how would HE check it?

Give them time. There are honest people out there.:D

Yes, it was locked. I would figure at some point they have to have a master key to unlock them when ppl leave them locked and get off board. I would think it would make sense it would be the room steward to do that. I'm sure there are plenty of honest people, but I'm not banking on it.

No, I didn't check it. I had no reason to personally because I didn't have anything in it. Habit myself I clean mine out the last evening before bed and put in my carryon. I wish my daughter would have taken my suggestion, but she is young.... Someday she will see I'm always right, right :p lol.

Question:

We scheduled an excursion at the Sea Turtle Farm. I got the one that included lunch and that's all the excursion is, is the turtle farm and lunch. Hoping we get to do all areas of the farm? I didn't realize there were different portions.......

I bet yours will be the whole place then. I was meaning two choices with the stingray, turtle farm, hell excursion. It was a neat place. You will have a great time. I would go back so I could see the whole place. When you got in there we just got to go to the right to see the turtles, but there was a lot on the path to the left we didn't get to do.

OP, we were on this cruise with you, I'm actually thinking about doing a picture review! Was that boat ROCKIN' that last night, or what!? Lol I never get sea-sick, because I take Bonine every day on a cruise, but even I was feeling a little green! But a few extra drinks cleared that up. Lol ;p

is it the Guy Fieri BBQ place or something else? we go out on the freedom on 11/18 so i was looking at the carnival website and it doesn't' list a bbq place on the freedom

I think I found my own answer. Looks like it isn't Guy's BBQ place according to some other posts. Anyone have pics of the place of pics of the menu?

Thank you for sharing your overview! Do you happen to have the Fun Times and, if so, be willing to upload pics? We are traveling this same itinerary in 18 days (eeeek!) and the only Freedom Fun Times I've been able to find are the Belize/Roatan/Cozumel route.

Hope you are able to resolve the safe issue!

I was on this cruise, there was no fog. We were told it was late because the previous cruise had stopped in Belize, which equals extra time for coast guard to clear it. We were told the same thing last year.

I agree, we got to Galveston around 8 am and didn't see any fog.

Thank you for sharing your overview! Do you happen to have the Fun Times and, if so, be willing to upload pics? We are traveling this same itinerary in 18 days (eeeek!) and the only Freedom Fun Times I've been able to find are the Belize/Roatan/Cozumel route.

Hope you are able to resolve the safe issue!

Sorry I didn't keep them.

I think I found my own answer. Looks like it isn't Guy's BBQ place according to some other posts. Anyone have pics of the place of pics of the menu?

I don't think was Guys ...not that I saw anywhere. The menu was on board there. ..not many choices. Pulled pork, ribs, and there was another meat option. Sides were mac ncheese, beans, coleslaw.

How were the musicians? Any good country singers? Thanks!

I'm not country fan so not sure. But I caught band that was good and did variety of music. Run for cover. They weren't always on the flyers. Watched them a couple times. Young redhaired singer had good vocals for her age. Guitarist David was great too and really nice guy.

OP, we were on this cruise with you, I'm actually thinking about doing a picture review! Was that boat ROCKIN' that last night, or what!? Lol I never get sea-sick, because I take Bonine every day on a cruise, but even I was feeling a little green! But a few extra drinks cleared that up. Lol ;p

Rockin it was! ! I was thankful I wasn't violently vomiting like my neighbor.

Comedy: was excellent. Carolin Pickard was the best I've seen on any of the cruises I've been on. If you are offended by cursing she need to catch PG show bc she is quite colorful. Also saw Billy Washington and he was very funny as well. Unfortunately I thought I kept the paper with the names from the boat but I guess I didn't. We saw another guy, his last show was called Stupid People. He wasn't that great in my opinion.

I believe Tony Esposito and Al Katz would've been your other comedians.

This is the menu...except I don't remember sausage and greens being on it. I liked the beef with kansas city sauce and mac n cheese. The beef was so tender it would fall apart on your fork.

guys2.png