Afternoon Tea at the Fairmont Hamilton

Sag13

Has anyone been to this tea while in Bermuda? We are on a cruise ship and will be docked at Hamilton. We are considering doing this one of the afternoons. Is it worth the $34.00? Is it really special? Any info. will be appreciated.

Has anyone been to this tea while in Bermuda? We are on a cruise ship and will be docked at Hamilton. We are considering doing this one of the afternoons. Is it worth the $34.00? Is it really special? Any info. will be appreciated.

My husband and I are taking our fifth Bermuda cruise in May, and we plan on attending that tea service one afternoon while we are there. A gentleman who will be on our cruise posted an excellent review of the tea at the Fairmont, he said they have delicious home made pastries and little sandwiches, and that it is worth every penny. He said it can make for a filling late lunch so make sure you are hungry if you go don't fill up on lunch prior to tea. We will be going in May as it is something we have yet to do, we are looking forward to trying it. Sorry this is a bit vague and second hand, but I thought I would share. He also said as long as you look presentable you are good to go. No need to dress formally or anything. Hope you like it if you try it, and I hope we like it too. :)

Lorie

ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!

Tea at the Princess is one of the best tea services I have ever had and is well worth the price. All of the pastries are made in-house and each one is more delicious than the next. The atmosphere is lovely as well. In fact, $34 is not too bad a price considering it is basically a full meal and food in general is quite expensive in Bermuda; you will be quite full after.

I will be back in Bermuda in May and plan to return for tea.

Here are some pics from Sept 2013 [this was for 4 people and more than enough food]:

P1000793_zpskgkz4cpc.jpg

P1000794_zpsglfwf91m.jpg

P1000795_zpsy53tpwyv.jpg

P1000796_zpslagsjmkl.jpg

Some disappointing news--I e-mailed the Fairmont Hamilton to ask if we needed reservations for the afternoon tea. They responded and said they no longer have this tea for now. Perhaps at some future time, they will re-instate it.

Some disappointing news--I e-mailed the Fairmont Hamilton to ask if we needed reservations for the afternoon tea. They responded and said they no longer have this tea for now. Perhaps at some future time, they will re-instate it.

They are doing a renovation, so no tea until after June 1, 2015.

They are doing a renovation, so no tea until after June 1, 2015.

:eek::eek:

Very disappointing!! The website has been recently change to state:

"Please note that due to an exciting renovation project at the hotel, Afternoon Tea will not be available from September 1, 2014 through June 1, 2015. "

A couple of weeks ago it said the renovations would be done April 1, 2015. They must be behind schedule :(

I think their sister property Fairmont Southampton also offers afternoon tea but their website does not show the cost of it or any info. As others have mentioned the perfumery also offers it on select days so maybe we'll have to try that.

I am sailing on HAL, who I have heard does a wonderful daily afternoon tea service so maybe I'll just have to be content with that. Anyone sailing with NCL will not have this luxury though.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to post on update on this. I emailed the Fairmont Princess Hamilton yesterday about making afternoon tea reservations for mid-October 2015, and was told "At this time our hotel is not serving Afternoon Tea. We will be bringing back our afternoon tea experience, but the date has not been confirmed as to when we will be offering this. Please check back with us prior to your journey to Bermuda. We can recommend our sister property, the Fairmont Southampton for an Afternoon Tea experience." So I guess their construction project is running dramatically behind schedule.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to follow-up on this. As the Fairmont Hotel in Hamilton was not serving tea during my trip, and I didn't want to pay for taxi to Southampton, I had my afternoon tea at the Dockyard Pastry Shop. It was fantastic! Basically we picked a tea (I like english breakfast), and then they brought out a three-tier silver tower of goodies. On the top were scones. Now, I'm not a fan of the scones we serve in the USA, finding them dry as dirt 99% of the time, but these were moist and delicious. They even came with strawberry preserves and little pitchers of clotted cream! The middle tier held the finger sandwiches, the standard flavors were cream cheese & cucumber, and smoked salmon, but since neither of like smoked salmon we swapped it for tuna. We could have also picked ham or turkey. The bottom tier had two small slices of cheesecake, and two halves of a giant pastry that was like a puffy eclair, but filled with a caramel creme filling. The whole thing came to just under $30pp including tip, so it was a great deal as well. I'd highly recommend it as an alternative!

Is it close to where the ships dock? I assume so because of the name, but there are probably a lot of docks. Sorry if it is a really dumb question, but I don't know Bermuda at all. I'm onboard the Eclipse now heading to Bermuda in a few days and don't have enough internet to waste really investigating, so just want to confirm.

Is it close to where the ships dock? I assume so because of the name, but there are probably a lot of docks. Sorry if it is a really dumb question, but I don't know Bermuda at all. I'm onboard the Eclipse now heading to Bermuda in a few days and don't have enough internet to waste really investigating, so just want to confirm.

Which of the afternoon tea locations mentioned in this thread are you asking about?

Your ship will be berthed at the Royal Naval Dockyard, and one of the places...Dockyard Pastry Shop...is right in the Dockyard a short walk from where your ship will be docked.

The Hamilton Princess is a 20 minute ferry ride, followed by a 10 minute walk, from your ship's berth. It appears as though they have not resumed serving afternoon. The hotel has been undergoing renovations.

The Fairmont Southampton Princess can be reached by bus or taxi from your ship's dock.

Edited by njhorseman

Which of the afternoon tea locations mentioned in this thread are you asking about?

Your ship will be berthed at the Royal Naval Dockyard, and one of the places...Dockyard Pastry Shop...is right in the Dockyard a short walk from where your ship will be docked.

The Hamilton Princess is a 20 minute ferry ride, followed by a 10 minute walk, from your ship's berth. It appears as though they have not resumed serving afternoon. The hotel has been undergoing renovations.

The Fairmont Southampton Princess can be reached by bus or taxi from your ship's dock.

I am referring to the dockyard pastry shop. Thank you for the info.

calmpets- thank you so much. You had me at clotted cream. We will be in Bermuda in May and we will be there,

Kathue

You're very welcome! Here is a link to their website - http://www.thedockyardpastryshop.com/new-page/. One thing worth mentioning, they are firm on the hours they offer afternoon tea. We were about fifteen minutes early and they actually made us wait till 2pm to place our order.

• 3 weeks later...

I would assume, which we all know is foolish, that they are starting with weekend service for the winter, and when the season starts up they will go to every day.. But yes it is pricey. The Princess has been renovating like crazy, and the Crown and Anchor looks like a lovely spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I traveled to Bermuda in May 2014 and had tea at Sweet Pea's at the Bermuda Perfumery in St George. Very nice tea with sandwiches, pastries, scones with jam and cream, and for an extra fee, champagne if desired. Pretty little garden location and a lovely interval in the company of friends and pleasant staff. Thought it was worth the cost (sorry don't recall price) and we enjoyed the perfumery, although none of us purchased scent. I was disappointed by the perfumery based on web site description because I thought there was a real tour of perfume making and I imagined the garden as much larger, but despite these differences it was a lovely afternoon. Laurie

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I traveled to Bermuda in May 2014 and had tea at Sweet Pea's at the Bermuda Perfumery in St George. Very nice tea with sandwiches, pastries, scones with jam and cream, and for an extra fee, champagne if desired. Pretty little garden location and a lovely interval in the company of friends and pleasant staff. Thought it was worth the cost (sorry don't recall price) and we enjoyed the perfumery, although none of us purchased scent. I was disappointed by the perfumery based on web site description because I thought there was a real tour of perfume making and I imagined the garden as much larger, but despite these differences it was a lovely afternoon. Laurie

I have been doing research on afternoon tea and having a hard time finding a place open while we are in port Mon-Tues. Sweet P only has afternoon tea Saturdays and Wednesdays. (http://www.lilibermuda.com/pages/afternoon-high-tea)

The Dockyard Pastry Shop might be our only option since it looks like they are open daily for afternoon tea

http://www.thedockyardpastryshop.com/new-page/