Roll Call: Uniworld River Antoinette "Castles Along the Rhine" Aug 7, 2011

JD in Cal

JD, this is a very scenic cruise; you will enjoy it. I would suggest that you purchase the map of the Rhine which shows all the castles along the hillside. Uniworld sells one in their small onboard gift shop, but you can purchase it much cheaper in the gift shops in the towns that you visit. It is around 5 to 6 Euros; great souvenir.

Sharon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We are sailing on the new Antoinette on Aug 7. This is our first river cruise. Would like to hear from any who have sailed on the Antoinette.

Anyone who has sailed from Basel on this cruise: we are arriving on train from Baden Baden. What's the best way to get to the dock from the train station? How far? Also, any advice for disembarkation in Amsterdam and getting into the city? We will be there two days.

• 5 weeks later...

We are leaving next Wednesday and flying into Frankfurt. Doing a little touring and a convention before boarding in Basel on Aug 7. The latest news is that our boarding platform has changed to Platform Klybeck in Basel. Hope to see a few more souls post here. Any idea the best way to get from the train station to the platform?

Hi John,

And other future Antoinette passengers, also. Just got a return e-mail from Scott Mueller, Dir of Cust Rel, with specifics of the Embarkation Point. If you had trouble googling etc, you need to put "Klybeck Kai" in Google or Google Maps. Seems Kai means Platform!!!!

Here is the Google Map link from Scott:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Uferstrasse+90,+Basel,+Schweiz&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.957999,56.25&z=16

Looks like it's a bit out of the way, but a quick cab ride from old town, train station, etc.

I'll put this on FB also.

See you soon...

Take Bus # 50 from Airport to Basel SBB (Train Station). Transfer to Tram # 8 to Kleinhuningen Stop. Then a 6 minute walk over to the Boat. Seems rather simple.

We are staying at the Hotel Merian at the Bridge to the old town and are right next to the #8 Rheingasse Stop. Then 10 minutes to Kleinhuningen Stop. May beat a Cab ride since the Cabs have to go across the River and then back due to one-way streets and pedestrian streets. Trams seem to be exempt and go straight there.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our Antoinette cruise! We had an amazing time. We took the tram from Basel train station. We received directions and map from the tourist office located inside train station. Very easy ride and walk.

The staff, ship, food and tours were the best on the Antoinette. I cannot wait to take another Uniworld. We were so spoiled!

If you have any questions, let me know.

I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise. We are booked in April 2012. I noticed that in some places there are choices of activities. For example, one day you have a choice of a Speyer walking tour or a Gemmersheim village stroll. On another day, there is a choice of Koblenz walking tour or an aerial tram to a Fortress. Which did you select, and what were they like? Also, were there any optional tours?

We are repeat Uniworld cruisers booked in August on the Antionette. We can't wait. Just a question - Do the men need a jacket for the captain's dinner. We are trying to pack as light as possible.

Thanks!

We just returned from our Antoinette cruise!

If you have any questions, let me know.

We're going in September. What things do you wish that you would have known prior to boarding or early on in the cruise? In other words, any tips?

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
We're going in September. What things do you wish that you would have known prior to boarding or early on in the cruise? In other words, any tips?

Thanks.

We're also going in September (September 1, from Basel to Amsterdam) and this will be our first river cruise. My most burning question at the moment is whether, once the Antoinette docks in Amsterdam, we'll have time to make a 11:00 flight back to the US. I guess a subsidiary question is whether the Global Entry card saves any time or trouble with EU customs and immigration.

If there isn't enough time on the 8th, or if it will be a close question, I wonder if we can disembark the night before, or VERY early on the 8th, and then make our way to someplace near Schipol to ensure making the flight.

Archived