The Pantry - P&O Australia

Royalty X

I just received further details of P&O's replacement for the buffet - The Pantry. It looks pretty impressive to me! Here's what they had to say...

Exclusive to P&O, The Pantry is a brand new, fun food experience unlike anything you’ve seen on a cruise before.

Say goodbye to the buffet and hello to freshly made food from every corner of the globe via a selection of individual outlets in a relaxed café setting, including Sugar Bar, Mexicana, Hook’s Fish N’ Chips, Fat Cow, Kettle & Bun, Curry House and Stix. Day or Night, there’s something for everyone in The Pantry, making it the perfect venue for a quick bite, a long lunch or dinner you won’t soon forget.

Coming to Pacific Jewel, Pacific Aria and Pacific Eden between June and November 2015.

SUGAR BAR - Discover a mouth-watering selection of cakes, pastries and individual desserts all freshly made onboard at Sugar Bar. If you’re in the mood for something sweet, bring the family for some handmade desserts to top off any meal.

KETTLE & BUN - Kettle & Bun offers freshly baked bread, expertly crafted sandwiches, great tasting salads and mouthwatering soups. It’s seems unfair to choose just one, so mix and match for your perfect combo! For dinner, visit our Salad Bar where we’ll toss us a bespoke creation that’ll prove that you DO make friends with salad.

MEXICANA - P&O does Mexican right at our very own Mexicana. Our soft or hard shell tacos filled with favourites like homemade salsas and pickles, chilli, guacamole, fresh lime and cheese will impress even the seasoned salsa connoisseur. It’s a fresh and spicy treat to enjoy any time.

STIX - China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar – they all have their own word for ‘chop sticks’, so onboard we just call them Stix! Indulge your passion for Asia’s finest cuisines including traditional rice dishes, the freshest stir-fries, sizzling noodles and heartwarming dumpling soups. And don’t miss our famous P&O Laksa!

CURRY HOUSE - Where does the best curry in the world come from? Right here at P&O! Curry House is a smorgasbord of classic curry flavours and authentic dishes. Whether you’re enjoying an old favourite or trying something new (like the renowned P&O Tandoori), you’ll love the incredible range, complemented by homemade breads, chutneys, raitas and pickles.

HOOK'S FISH & CHIPS - The catch of the day…every day! Surf & turf goes casual with P&O’s Fish & Chips. Serving up crispy battered fish and hot chips with the perfect amount of crunch, this onboard ‘fish & chip shop’ knows how to please. Get your hands on the freshest seafood and daily specials like salt & pepper squid, lemon & herb calamari rings or crumbed scallops. Yum!

FAT COW - VEGETARIANS BEWARE! at Fat Cow there’s more meat than you can imagine. We offer the finest cuts to send meat lovers into a flutter! Try tender carvings, roast chicken (using our own secret recipe), succulent legs of lamb, cured hams, roast pork racks and beef scotch fillets that melt in your mouth. It’s all sourced from local producers and served with a wide selection of rustic sides and condiments to create the perfect roast dinner!

THE GRILL - The Grill has had a makeover! Everybody loves a good burger! To celebrate our love of this humble dish, ‘The Grill’ serves up an amazing range including gourmet beef, pulled-pork and many more. You’ll also find plenty of old favourites like hot dogs, nachos, pizzas, meat pies and chips (nominal charges apply).

More details here...

http://au-content.em.sdlproducts.com/carnival_australia/images/6316/Pantry-Brochure.pdf

Edited by Royalty X

• 2 weeks later...

Further re the Grill, an extract from "what's included in the fare".....

"The Grill (charges apply to some menu items and at dinner)"

All other pantry options should be inclusive in your fare. It is interesting how the design of the new ships Aria and Eden may have nudged this change in dining styles to include the Pantry and getting rid of the Buffet. Aria and Eden having more dining venues (although some more boutique in style) than the current P&O ships, thus giving the options The Pantry will provide and making it a company wide change.

All Pantry options, except the Grill, will be included in your fare. After just disembarking Jewel this morning though, they really should include this food in the fare as well. It's silly to not have these sorts of things (burgers, hotdogs, nachos, pizzas, etc) included in the free menu because it would be a bit plus if they were.

Edited by Royalty X

I just received further details of P&O's replacement for the buffet - The Pantry. It looks pretty impressive to me! Here's what they had to say...

Exclusive to P&O, The Pantry is a brand new, fun food experience unlike anything you’ve seen on a cruise before.

Say goodbye to the buffet and hello to freshly made food from every corner of the globe via a selection of individual outlets in a relaxed café setting, including Sugar Bar, Mexicana, Hook’s Fish N’ Chips, Fat Cow, Kettle & Bun, Curry House and Stix. Day or Night, there’s something for everyone in The Pantry, making it the perfect venue for a quick bite, a long lunch or dinner you won’t soon forget.

Coming to Pacific Jewel, Pacific Aria and Pacific Eden between June and November 2015.

SUGAR BAR - Discover a mouth-watering selection of cakes, pastries and individual desserts all freshly made onboard at Sugar Bar. If you’re in the mood for something sweet, bring the family for some handmade desserts to top off any meal.

KETTLE & BUN - Kettle & Bun offers freshly baked bread, expertly crafted sandwiches, great tasting salads and mouthwatering soups. It’s seems unfair to choose just one, so mix and match for your perfect combo! For dinner, visit our Salad Bar where we’ll toss us a bespoke creation that’ll prove that you DO make friends with salad.

MEXICANA - P&O does Mexican right at our very own Mexicana. Our soft or hard shell tacos filled with favourites like homemade salsas and pickles, chilli, guacamole, fresh lime and cheese will impress even the seasoned salsa connoisseur. It’s a fresh and spicy treat to enjoy any time.

STIX - China, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Thailand, Myanmar – they all have their own word for ‘chop sticks’, so onboard we just call them Stix! Indulge your passion for Asia’s finest cuisines including traditional rice dishes, the freshest stir-fries, sizzling noodles and heartwarming dumpling soups. And don’t miss our famous P&O Laksa!

CURRY HOUSE - Where does the best curry in the world come from? Right here at P&O! Curry House is a smorgasbord of classic curry flavours and authentic dishes. Whether you’re enjoying an old favourite or trying something new (like the renowned P&O Tandoori), you’ll love the incredible range, complemented by homemade breads, chutneys, raitas and pickles.

HOOK'S FISH & CHIPS - The catch of the day…every day! Surf & turf goes casual with P&O’s Fish & Chips. Serving up crispy battered fish and hot chips with the perfect amount of crunch, this onboard ‘fish & chip shop’ knows how to please. Get your hands on the freshest seafood and daily specials like salt & pepper squid, lemon & herb calamari rings or crumbed scallops. Yum!

FAT COW - VEGETARIANS BEWARE! at Fat Cow there’s more meat than you can imagine. We offer the finest cuts to send meat lovers into a flutter! Try tender carvings, roast chicken (using our own secret recipe), succulent legs of lamb, cured hams, roast pork racks and beef scotch fillets that melt in your mouth. It’s all sourced from local producers and served with a wide selection of rustic sides and condiments to create the perfect roast dinner!

THE GRILL - The Grill has had a makeover! Everybody loves a good burger! To celebrate our love of this humble dish, ‘The Grill’ serves up an amazing range including gourmet beef, pulled-pork and many more. You’ll also find plenty of old favourites like hot dogs, nachos, pizzas, meat pies and chips (nominal charges apply).

More details here...

http://au-content.em.sdlproducts.com/carnival_australia/images/6316/Pantry-Brochure.pdf

I have no more interest in P&O Australia now, I hope P&O out of the UK won't follow suit. It is nice, once in a while to eat in the buffet. I don't go cruseing to eat healthy.

I have no more interest in P&O Australia now, I hope P&O out of the UK won't follow suit. It is nice, once in a while to eat in the buffet. I don't go cruseing to eat healthy.

I think its the other way around. Its a case of P&O Australia following P&O UK's lead.Their buffet has islands and you dont have to line up like an industrial cafeteria.

• 1 month later...

I might be able to tell you all about 'the pantry' - my wife & I fly to Singapore this June (4 days at our son's place) then cruising back to Australia, via semerang, Komodo, Bali, East Timor, then png Islands alotau & doini, then finishing in Brisbane.

• 3 weeks later...

They ran this story on a TV interview here in Australia a week or 2 ago. Not that I have cruised P&O before, but I think it is a wonderful idea. My first thought was perhaps it was to try to limit Norovirus outbreaks? The less people handle food and utensils the safer it is going to be for all.

I'm on Eden next year, my concern is trying to feed my fussy 4 year old without having to line up in several different lines to get a selection of food he'll eat. Then I'll have to line up again for myself. Looking forward to trying it though, might just have to figure out our personal logistics. The pics I've seen don't seem to have much seating - is it hard to get a table?

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone experienced the pantry yet and able to tell me what it's like? We're off on Jewel in August and were expecting a buffet.

Hi Kerry,

Yes I have done it - its fine. The food is good and it is served for you (so less chance of catching a bug). The best way to make it work is go to one food 'shop' at a time, eat that food and if you want to try something else go to another food 'shop'. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi Kerry,

Yes I have done it - its fine. The food is good and it is served for you (so less chance of catching a bug). The best way to make it work is go to one food 'shop' at a time, eat that food and if you want to try something else go to another food 'shop'. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for that.

just finished my first cruise with p&o pacific jewel from Singapore to Brisbane, which we enjoyed, great ports etc.

The pantry was fine, except for the following observations. 1. A lot of people Criss crossing from one outlet to another, 2. Not enough seating available or stools. 3. The staff at each outlet serves the food on a plate to you, hence it prevents people leaning over & filling their plate with too much food. (Some people we saw were obese & definitely had too much food stacked on their plate.

Our favourite afternoon cocktail & beer was at the oasis. Sometimes we had it to ourselves, a real gem, but don't tell anyone

just finished my first cruise with p&o pacific jewel from Singapore to Brisbane, which we enjoyed, great ports etc.

The pantry was fine, except for the following observations. 1. A lot of people Criss crossing from one outlet to another, 2. Not enough seating available or stools. 3. The staff at each outlet serves the food on a plate to you, hence it prevents people leaning over & filling their plate with too much food. (Some people we saw were obese & definitely had too much food stacked on their plate.

Our favourite afternoon cocktail & beer was at the oasis. Sometimes we had it to ourselves, a real gem, but don't tell anyone

Thanks for that it is the criss crossing and the stools that really bother me.

Hi there, I'm not sure I fully like the idea of the pantry yet and have a few questions...

1. I read somewhere that it is like the old buffet for breakfast or still the same few outlets.

2. In the grill, does a cheeseburger or hamburger cost money now?

3. Again, I read somewhere the Pearl was going into dry dock in August but I asked P&O and they couldn't say anything. Has anyone else heard about dry dock for the Pearl as I am going on a New Zealand cruise on her in November.

Thanks to those who have come to report back. It sounds like it is quite good. One question I had is, is there food available all afternoon? On Carnival there was pizza, icecream and sandwiches available right up to dinner time and we found this was great for the kids, especially on port days as they were usually starving by around 4.00pm after hours of snorkelling. I can't find anywhere that says if there is anything free available at these times. Don't really want to shell out extra $$$ for food when there is free food available at other times.

Someone mentioned norovirus - well I couldn't help notice how little number of passengers on p&o pacific jewell, actually, put the hands under the hand sanitiser, before actually entering the dining areas, oh well, some people have little personal hygiene. When we first sailed on pride of America around the hawiian Islands some years ago, a member of the staff was at each dining room entrance & squirted your hands, saying ' washy, washy' - hence we never had one incident of norovirus on that cruise.

Someone mentioned norovirus - well I couldn't help notice how little number of passengers on p&o pacific jewell, actually, put the hands under the hand sanitiser, before actually entering the dining areas, oh well, some people have little personal hygiene. When we first sailed on pride of America around the hawiian Islands some years ago, a member of the staff was at each dining room entrance & squirted your hands, saying ' washy, washy' - hence we never had one incident of norovirus on that cruise.

There's some research to support the idea that use of hand sanitizer can actually increase the spread of norovirus. Washing your hand with the soap and warm water is still the best thing. Sometimes I think if the hand sanitizer is there people think that it replaces washing their hands. Yuk!

• 2 weeks later...

It's a nice bit of publicity for P & O but as one person has pointed out, there are still people getting a bit from one depot and a bit from another and that more or less means it is still a buffet. The whole idea was to get rid of trays wizzing around in every direction. It will really only work if people decide to only have one cuisine at a time, and I can't see that happening. Plus it has some seating that looks more like coffee tables they are so low and others that are communal, and I, for one, do not eat communal. Plus, why have half a dozen free depots but one (Grill) that isn't? Who is going to pay when all the other options in the same area are free? Still some fine tuning needed.

• 1 month later...

I never use the hand sanitizer. I have sensitive skin and found most brands dry out my skin and even cause dermatitis. So if you see me on a cruise walk past the sanitizer I'm not being a grott. ;) The pantry sounds interesting. As someone with food allergies buffets are a bit like playing Russian roulette with my life. Seen to many people cross contaminant food by using same utensils. And at least if there is someone there dishing out the food I can ask what's in it. Is this going to be on all ships. Saw a news program Wednesday that did a thing on po kinda implied that it would be wondering when. Dawn next Feb has made it in my top 3 will be making final decision Monday. So hoping it will be on there ;).

I was on the Jewel in April and Just did a 2 night in August.

I really liked the Pantry, there was more variety per food style, and it looked so much more appealing when no-one has scooped the middle of the bread and butter pudding out and left the crusty edges.

for example the Indian had 2 varieties of rice and 3 variety's of topping. then there was also Nann Bread, and Papa dams, and also 4 different dressings to complete the order.

At breakfast time the Mexican area was turned into a pancake place, they had plan and sultana pancakes, then a variety of toppings, maple syrup, jams and fruit.

It was a nice change to not have a heard of people milling around with Trays, that was an improvement, and they never ran out of hot tea / coffee. Back in April the coffee machines had kept stopping because they could not heat up fast enough.

There is also a nice area where you can order a paid for cuppa chino, and alcoholic drinks. so if you want a real coffee with breakfast you don't need to go to the cafe first.

The main negative I had was the tables, I did not like all the high stool's and strange heights that some tables have. as the "normal" tables filled up very fast at peak times.