Car Rental at Toulon

seaofwonder

Hi all,

We will be on the NCL Spirit. Looks like the bigger ships dock at La Seyne Sur Mur. There appears to be a Europcar outlet. However, it is unclear how far it is from the dock.

Anyone have any advice/personal experience? Are there taxis waiting when you get off the ship in case it isn't within walking distance?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

We will be on the NCL Spirit. Looks like the bigger ships dock at La Seyne Sur Mur. There appears to be a Europcar outlet. However, it is unclear how far it is from the dock.

Anyone have any advice/personal experience? Are there taxis waiting when you get off the ship in case it isn't within walking distance?

We rented from Europcar 2 years ago and then Avis this past November. Both are within a block or two from each other. The problem is getting from the ship to the rental agency. It's a hike on foot. Taxis were not readily available at the pier. We walked out to the main road to try to flag one down, but there weren't any traveling in our vicinity.

I visited the cruise terminals in Toulon and La Seyne last October. La Seyne has Europcar and Avis offices and there's a taxi rank (whether there will be any taxis there is another matter!) Local cab company is Taxis Seynois. Tel (+33) 4 94 10 10 20 -- though you'll probably need to speak to them in French! There's also a bike hire stand if you're feeling energetic and various other onward travel options. More info here: http://www.marvellous-provence.com/travel/water/toulon-cruise-ship-ports

Edited by AngloinProvence
typo

• 4 months later...
We rented from Europcar 2 years ago and then Avis this past November. Both are within a block or two from each other. The problem is getting from the ship to the rental agency. It's a hike on foot. Taxis were not readily available at the pier. We walked out to the main road to try to flag one down, but there weren't any traveling in our vicinity.

Which company would you rent from again - Europcar or Avis? Did both companies have someone who spoke English?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Which company would you rent from again - Europcar or Avis? Did both companies have someone who spoke English?

Thanks!

I would probably go with Europcar because there is a gas station right at the rental office so you can fill up there when you return.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, will be visiting Toulon on NCL Spirit as well. Really appreciate if someone can provide the locations of car rental agencies relative to the cruise port. Realistic to walk to one of the agencies from port? TIA

There's an Avis and Europcar near the port, but not within walking distance. You have to take a taxi, but they are not really plentiful in the area that the ship docks. We walked out to the main road from the port -- just a short distance, and it took about 15 minutes to flag down a taxi.

Wine-O, thanks for the info. Did you actually rent a car while in Toulon? I am ondering about driving condition there (hoping to make it to Cassis).

Yes, twice. We rented from both agencies. Went to Cassis, Le Castellet, Bandol, and Sanary-sur-Mer. Driving was easy, especially with my own GPS. Allow plenty of time to return the car and get back to the ship. There was a lot of traffic, but it was moving.

I would suggest going to Sanary-sur-Mer first for the morning market.

For restaurant for lunch in Cassis, I would recommend Le Boneparte. Stop by and make a reservation when you get there, then take the boat ride out to the Calanques. When you return, head to lunch. They are closed on Mondays.

• 2 months later...
Yes, twice. We rented from both agencies. Went to Cassis, Le Castellet, Bandol, and Sanary-sur-Mer. Driving was easy, especially with my own GPS. Allow plenty of time to return the car and get back to the ship. There was a lot of traffic, but it was moving.

I would suggest going to Sanary-sur-Mer first for the morning market.

For restaurant for lunch in Cassis, I would recommend Le Boneparte. Stop by and make a reservation when you get there, then take the boat ride out to the Calanques. When you return, head to lunch. They are closed on Mondays.

Hello:

We are going to be in Toulon on a port day from 9-5. If we rent a car and do the stops you mention above, will we be able to fit it in including the calanques boat ride and the market? We are there on a Monday. Also, is it necessary to rent a vehicle in advance or is it possible to get one spontaneously when we arrive?

Thank you.