Don Q Rum question

mom2NnB

I like to buy Rums from different ports. I do not want Bacardi since that is avail here. I wanted to sample the Don Q rums before deciding which ones to buy, however, Don Q is closed on Thursdays and that is the day we port there. Is there anywhere else in PR where we can taste the rums before buying them? Additionally, where else can we buy Don Q besides the Casa? Is it readily available in Puerto Rico?

TIA

I would suggest the Puerto Rico Tourism Company Visitor Center in Old San Juan (they have a small Rums of Puerto Rico sampling bar), but their bar is closed on Thursdays, too.

Don Q is readily available throughout Puerto Rico. We don't have "liquor stores" per se, so any supermarket will do.

Bacardi does offer Bacardi Reserva Limitada which can only be purchased at the the Bacardi gift shop in Catano.

There is a rum tasting and dinner tour on which you'll sample 12 different Puerto Rican rums, but of course they're not free samples.

You can also go to the Cana Rum Bar at El Convento to sample rums, again for a price.

Edited by RayInPR
typo

for many years. They have a tasting shop and sales room close to the pier. The prices are better in St. Thomas.

So I would be better picking it up in St. Thomas?

The tasting shop in PR do you mean? That's the one I planned on going to, but they are not open on Thursday.

So I would be better picking it up in St. Thomas?

The tasting shop in PR do you mean? That's the one I planned on going to, but they are not open on Thursday.

I disagree, since Don Q is produced in Puerto Rico, it is here were it is less expensive to buy. A bottle about 8 dollars in all supermarkets

When you walk along the water towards osj right when you "Enter the main area" you will see a yellow house labeled "Visitors Information" in that house they have free tastings of "The Rums of Puerto Rico" you can not only taste multiple PR rums there but they will be able to tell you where to get all the rum you need. :p

When you walk along the water towards osj right when you "Enter the main area" you will see a yellow house labeled "Visitors Information" in that house they have free tastings of "The Rums of Puerto Rico" you can not only taste multiple PR rums there but they will be able to tell you where to get all the rum you need. :p

The "little yellow house" referred to here is La Casita. Until this past October, this was the main Puerto Rico Tourism Company "visitor center".

They've since closed La Casita and relocated the visitor center across the street, a little closer to the cruise ship piers.

The new visitor center still offers rum tasting on Saturday through Wednesday, from 1pm - 5pm.

You can find a map showing the new location at http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/prtc-visitor-center/

We bought some Don Q rum on our last cruise and it was great. We are just about out and thinking we will restock when we take land-based trip to PR this Feb. However, my husband was at our local liquor store before Christmas and found the same Don Q Anejo we got in PR! He was very surprised because they told us it was only in very limited places in the US.

Why oh why is everything closed on Thursday? I just want to sample the rums...:(:(

Now I'm hoping for some reason they switch our ports around so we make it to PR before Thursday. :rolleyes:

No need to despair! As other posters stated, you can find it at Pueblo Supermarket, which is not too far from the piers. Just ask anyone to direct you there.

• 3 years later...

Going in Feb 2012 to via NCL Sun. How close is casa Don Q to the cruise ship dock?

I've heard this brand isn't sold in the US, if we decide to make a purchase, what's the tax/duty deal while bringing it back onto the ship?

Help me out, please.

Thanks!:eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Casa Don Q (and the PR visitors' center with the Rums of PR tasting bar) are about 2 blocks from the OSJ pier - off the ship and hang a left, just past Senior Frogs and the CVS pharmacy. However, don't despair, Don Q rum IS available in the US (even in an ABC state like North Carolina)!

• 2 years later...

We always buy Don Q when in port at the store by the pier. We love the Mojito flavor which we cannot get at our local liquor store. I read it is closed on Monday which is when we are in port. Can we find it anywhere else or can anyone confirm that the store is closed? I also saw it was closed Thursday and that seemed like a lot to be closed but who knows. We are leaving soon so appreciate any response as that is the main reason we get off the ship having been there many times. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
We always buy Don Q when in port at the store by the pier. We love the Mojito flavor which we cannot get at our local liquor store. I read it is closed on Monday which is when we are in port. Can we find it anywhere else or can anyone confirm that the store is closed? I also saw it was closed Thursday and that seemed like a lot to be closed but who knows. We are leaving soon so appreciate any response as that is the main reason we get off the ship having been there many times. Thanks.

I cannot confirm when the Don Q store is open or closed but unless you're looking for signature or special bottles of their rum you can get it at almost any place that sells alcohol. Right across the street from the pier and almost next door to the Don Q shop there's a CVS that sells liquor. I'm quite sure you can find Don Q there. A few blocks north there's a supermarket called Supermax right next to Plaza De Armas (one of OSJ plazas) where you will also be able to find Don Q (and maybe some of it's flavor varieties). As far as tasting, you might try any of the bars around San Juan. Punto de Vista (across the street and to the right of the pier) I think is the closest one and it should be opened around the time you are in port.