Pre cruise: Denali and Seward

teamflames

Hi everyone,

Starting a new thread at the suggestion of the other helpful posters. My wife and I (42yo Australians) are taking the NCL Sun cruise from Seward to Vancouver on the 26th June. This is our first time in Alaska and part of a much larger North America trip. We will fly from Orlando to Anchorage landing just before midnight on the 20th June.

We are thinking of hiring a car and attempting the following:

Drive from Anchorage to Talkeetna in the afternoon of the 21st (after presumably a late start with the late arrival). On the 22nd a tour (perhaps a flight over Denali) around the area and then drive to Healy. The 23rd and 24th in Denali. The 25th drive the car all the way to Seward spending the afternoon stopping at some of the interesting places between Anchorage and Seward (glaciers, wildlife park etc). Either drop car that night or next morning (after visiting Exit Glacier). Rest of the day doing a Kenai fjords tour and embarking the ship.

Do others think this is feasible? Any changes?

Looks like Hertz allow hires one way to Seward but have an email into them double checking.

A further question if we were only going to do one "flight" tour in our trip would it be in this land based part such as Talkeetna or better as an excursion off the ship such as helicopter and dogs from Juneau?

many thanks

James

Sounds like you are doing some good planning !! The drive from Denali to Seward might be pretty long.

Flight question is a good one. Talkeetna is a pretty small town. However, the views from our lodge hotel near Talkeetna back towards Denali were really special. And if you want a flight tour of Denali, Talkeetna is the place I presume.

We too only budgeted one flight excursion for our trip. We did the Misty Fjords flight which we really enjoyed. I would guess they are all great in Alaska!

On our cruise tour we spent a night in Alyeska. It is a nice ski property if you just are looking for an overnight rest it is very relaxing there.

I never recommend driving Denali to Seward in a single day. You have to allow at least 9 hours for the drive, and perhaps more, if you get extended delays with construction- I've seen pilot cars pulling away that I missed and then had an hour wait. You will NOT be doing any "stopping along the way", to any degree and it will be a marathon road trip only. You WILL run into construction in June. Frankly, you need another day in my opinion. If at all possible add it.

Hertzi is the ONLY major vendor, there was a report last year, that someone got a one way rental from ABC RV's ?? Perhaps check and see?

It depends on YOU with your flight touring. Me, I fly all over Alaska and it's a top priority attraction for me. Usually 3/4 times.trip. I even greatly like the commercial flight between Anc and Fai. :) :) Both of your possibilities have rave reviews - each. But, if your time is limited, you'd better be advised to skip Talkeetna and get to Denali a day earlier and back up your itinerary. Denali flights are also available out this this area as well.

We are flying into Anchorage for a week on the Kenai Peninsula before our cruise. We are renting from Enterprise in Anchorage, then on the day we are moving to Seward we are returning the Enterprise rental in Anchorage and taking the bus to Seward where we will rent from Hertz for 2 days. The one way drop off price for Hertz is insane!

We are flying into Anchorage for a week on the Kenai Peninsula before our cruise. We are renting from Enterprise in Anchorage, then on the day we are moving to Seward we are returning the Enterprise rental in Anchorage and taking the bus to Seward where we will rent from Hertz for 2 days. The one way drop off price for Hertz is insane!

As a suggestion, I'd make sure you are going need the rental car round trip in Seward. Unless you are staying out at Lowell Point or out of town, you don't. :) You also may be able to do a 24 hour rental with some scheduling.

As a suggestion, I'd make sure you are going need the rental car round trip in Seward. Unless you are staying out at Lowell Point or out of town, you don't. :) You also may be able to do a 24 hour rental with some scheduling.

Sorry, I'm not following...

Maybe I didn't explain well...

We'll be in Kasilof for 5 nights with a rental from Enterprise. We are then returning that car the Saturday before the cruise and taking the bus to Seward for 2 nights before the cruise where we'll use a Hertz rental for 2 days. I know Seward is small but we like to get out and explore.

I never recommend driving Denali to Seward in a single day. You have to allow at least 9 hours for the drive, and perhaps more, if you get extended delays with construction- I've seen pilot cars pulling away that I missed and then had an hour wait. You will NOT be doing any "stopping along the way", to any degree and it will be a marathon road trip only. You WILL run into construction in June. Frankly, you need another day in my opinion. If at all possible add it.

Hertzi is the ONLY major vendor, there was a report last year, that someone got a one way rental from ABC RV's ?? Perhaps check and see?

It depends on YOU with your flight touring. Me, I fly all over Alaska and it's a top priority attraction for me. Usually 3/4 times.trip. I even greatly like the commercial flight between Anc and Fai. :) :) Both of your possibilities have rave reviews - each. But, if your time is limited, you'd better be advised to skip Talkeetna and get to Denali a day earlier and back up your itinerary. Denali flights are also available out this this area as well.

Hi BQ - I wasn't suggesting that you had recommended that drive only that I start a new thread. Most advice is for us to get to Denali on our first day, the problem is we will be completing a 3 week drive around south USA, dropping off our rental boarding a 6pm flight from Orlando and flying 11 hours landing at midnight (add in the time difference and its 4am). Hard to picture being up and ready to drive 6 hours. So think we will get to Talkeetna on the 21st. Next day do some local tours and then maybe a hike near the entrance to DP. 23rd and 24th full days in DP.

As you suggest I don't think we will try and do Seward in one day. Might try for Girdwood and spend the afternoon visiting local attractions and then on 26th complete drive to Seward via the Exit Glacier and then a fjords tour and onto the cruise.

We booked our car on the Hertz UK website there was no mention of a one way fee on the receipt or in the T&C, we paid about 60 a day for a compact. So hopefully that is all ok!

Ideally we would like the flexibility to drive where we like on any given day but it seems to me that everything needs to be reserved in advance - do you agree? So we need to be quite organised.

Sorry, I'm not following...

Maybe I didn't explain well...

We'll be in Kasilof for 5 nights with a rental from Enterprise. We are then returning that car the Saturday before the cruise and taking the bus to Seward for 2 nights before the cruise where we'll use a Hertz rental for 2 days. I know Seward is small but we like to get out and explore.

My point was maybe only a 24 hour rental is needed? Especially if you happen to be doing any extended touring, like an all day Kenai Fjords boat tour.- and staying in Seward, then you really wouldn't need a car that day. Just my style of traveling with maximizing schedules and savings. :) Only a suggestion.

As you suggest I don't think we will try and do Seward in one day. Might try for Girdwood and spend the afternoon visiting local attractions and then on 26th complete drive to Seward via the Exit Glacier and then a fjords tour and onto the cruise.

We booked our car on the Hertz UK website there was no mention of a one way fee on the receipt or in the T&C, we paid about 60 a day for a compact. So hopefully that is all ok!

Ideally we would like the flexibility to drive where we like on any given day but it seems to me that everything needs to be reserved in advance - do you agree? So we need to be quite organised.

You are planning to drive from Girdwood, day of your cruise embarking? IF you are taking a Kenai Fjords cruise, you are not going to have time for Exit Glacier, gassing up your car, turning it in etc, unless you get a very early start. You should think of having the car turned in - before your boat tour, then going direct from the boat tour to the cruise ship. The Kenai Fjords boat tours, usually have bag drop service to the ship, and do offer shuttle buses after their tours to the cruise ship. You need at least an hour to detour to Exit Glacier and at least 2 hours to drive to Seward. More is a better plan being conservative and heavy traffic during cruise ship days.

Your rate is unheard of. :) So, since you have a confirmation- you have an excellent glitch deal. Pick up Anc, drop off at Seward.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again all,

we are in the process of booking our tours and accommodation and need to make a decision. Do we have 2 full days in Denali and then have a day and a half to get to Seward or have only one full day in Denali and 2.5 days to get to Seward so use the other day to spend in the Alyeska or Matanuska area?

I'm following along as this is our basic DIY plan however ending in Whittier.

I'm planning on the helicopter to the glacier & dog sledding before the cruise & float plane to Misty Fjords while in port. These were two of my " must do" tours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi everyone,

Starting a new thread at the suggestion of the other helpful posters. My wife and I (42yo Australians) are taking the NCL Sun cruise from Seward to Vancouver on the 26th June. This is our first time in Alaska and part of a much larger North America trip. We will fly from Orlando to Anchorage landing just before midnight on the 20th June.

We are thinking of hiring a car and attempting the following:

Drive from Anchorage to Talkeetna in the afternoon of the 21st (after presumably a late start with the late arrival). On the 22nd a tour (perhaps a flight over Denali) around the area and then drive to Healy. The 23rd and 24th in Denali. The 25th drive the car all the way to Seward spending the afternoon stopping at some of the interesting places between Anchorage and Seward (glaciers, wildlife park etc). Either drop car that night or next morning (after visiting Exit Glacier). Rest of the day doing a Kenai fjords tour and embarking the ship.

Do others think this is feasible? Any changes?

Looks like Hertz allow hires one way to Seward but have an email into them double checking.

A further question if we were only going to do one "flight" tour in our trip would it be in this land based part such as Talkeetna or better as an excursion off the ship such as helicopter and dogs from Juneau?

many thanks

James

What you guys are planning is extremely similar to our trip last year (like spooky similar)... I attached my detailed review of our trip for you to reference. It truly was the trip of a lifetime. We did Denali to Seward, no problem at all and had a wonderful day with the sights! Now we did leave at 4:30 am to enjoy our trip. Anyway, I hope this helps!

Also in the review is a link to the photo album my husband shot... totally amazing

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2383752

Edited by bulldogmommy
additional info

Hi again all,

we are in the process of booking our tours and accommodation and need to make a decision. Do we have 2 full days in Denali and then have a day and a half to get to Seward or have only one full day in Denali and 2.5 days to get to Seward so use the other day to spend in the Alyeska or Matanuska area?

Matanuksa was amazing, we did the Glacier Hiking, see my attached review which also has links to the photo album my husband put together... It's an amazing trip, you will not be disappointed

What you guys are planning is extremely similar to our trip last year (like spooky similar)... I attached my detailed review of our trip for you to reference. It truly was the trip of a lifetime. We did Denali to Seward, no problem at all and had a wonderful day with the sights! Now we did leave at 4:30 am to enjoy our trip. Anyway, I hope this helps!

Also in the review is a link to the photo album my husband shot... totally amazing

Thanks Bdmom!

What a great trip report, sounds like you had an amazing trip (and amazing weather).

I think we are too late but I am going to look into Anna creek (my wife dream is dog sledding and mine is bears so will just blow the cash haha).

Eerily, we too recently downgraded from balconies to ov and didn't miss it (extra cash for other things).

Also eerily similar, we cruised Millie a couple of months ago and had same issues getting drinks at the bars (even if there was one bar tender they were so poorly stocked you were very limited on choice) which was complete polar opposite to sister ship Connie.

Glad to hear you can drive Denali to Seward , had another source who I trust for USA road trip advice also say easy to do with all the daylight!

I think we will stick with 2 full days in Denali and just try and fit as much as possible into 1.5 days getting to Seward.

You chose not to do the kenai fjords cruise??

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Did you book anan creek thru alaskawaters.com?

We used Islands Wings Charters... I would check with Shona and Michelle as they will post what days they still have availability and how many seats, you may be surprised when spots open up.

Tell them their Cajun Buddies sent them your way!

Thanks Bdmom!

What a great trip report, sounds like you had an amazing trip (and amazing weather).

I think we are too late but I am going to look into Anna creek (my wife dream is dog sledding and mine is bears so will just blow the cash haha).

Eerily, we too recently downgraded from balconies to ov and didn't miss it (extra cash for other things).

Also eerily similar, we cruised Millie a couple of months ago and had same issues getting drinks at the bars (even if there was one bar tender they were so poorly stocked you were very limited on choice) which was complete polar opposite to sister ship Connie.

Glad to hear you can drive Denali to Seward , had another source who I trust for USA road trip advice also say easy to do with all the daylight!

I think we will stick with 2 full days in Denali and just try and fit as much as possible into 1.5 days getting to Seward.

You chose not to do the kenai fjords cruise??

We did an inland passage one way Seward to VanCouver.

The similarities of our trip is a little spooky! But seems we have similar interest. I wish you guys well and let me know if you have any other questions or need any contacts. I have kept my spread sheet of the trip that is helping a friend of mine with Cabins, rental companies, etc. It was the most fun 18 months of planning.

We used Islands Wings Charters... I would check with Shona and Michelle as they will post what days they still have availability and how many seats, you may be surprised when spots open up.

Tell them their Cajun Buddies sent them your way!

I will contact them but looking at the website it appears the charters don't run when we are there (late June) [emoji30]