Exploring the real Belize

auntylinda

I'm taking a western Caribbean cruise and one of the stops is Belize. This is my favorite so on the trip because it arena like it would be different. So, I was looking into excursions booked through carnival or on my own and I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I want to get a feel for the area, the people, the food, and the shopping. Is this something I should do on my own? Is this even possible near the cruise port?

Safety is definitely important. I wouldn't be too worried but my two year old will probably be coming with my husband and me.

We will be there on a Wednesday. I was looking into this because it's the closest thing to what I want that I've found.

Belize City, Country Side & Rain Forest

http://www.regtourbz.com/othertours.htm

We love Belize although we did stay on the ship with the kids last time and just went to the port for a couple hours without kids -- to hit the bar. lol Anyways, if you want to get a good feel for Belize and enjoy the island life for a bit, try an excursion over to Caye Caulker island. Great little place with good food,s hopping, and scenery. No beach really because of the sea grass but plenty of place to enjoy the coast, walk around, and see real island life. Some cruise lines offer excursions to Caye Caulker but there are outside ones like Coral Breeze.

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/Belize/Caye/Caulker/cruise/snorkeling/current_category.15/Product.2/tours_add.html?t_product=2

Edited by BrotherCraig

• 4 months later...
Safety is definitely important. I wouldn't be too worried but my two year old will probably be coming with my husband and me.

We will be there on a Wednesday. I was looking into this because it's the closest thing to what I want that I've found.

Hi, did you do this excursion? If so, how did you like it. We have some new cruisers going with us this trip and they want to see some of Belize. Thanks

Sandra

We did the Xunantunich Mayan ruins on a Carnival trip last year. Loved it. The tour guides give you an incredible history of the country as well as explain daily life for the people on the long ride (yes, almost 2 hours each way). It was really fascinating and they answered everyone's questions, also. Then we toured the ruins with a great guide giving the history of the discovery of the ruins, the legends, etc. Then they took us to a local restaurant for a nice lunch of local foods. All in all, it was a great tour, not just the ruins. We learned so much about the people and how they run their gov't. It is a very interesting country! People are warm and friendly too.

I'm personally a big believer in getting away from the Islands and Belize city. The islands are great, but they are so similar to everything else in the caribbean to me. Get out in to the countryside around blancaneaux etc. . See the rivers, wildlife, Amish, Mayan ancestors. Find a tour that does that. I love spending time there. I have new felt unsafe on my trips/cruises except for a few neighborhoods in Belize City.

Edited by pyrrhus

I would be interested in this tour, as well. Has anyone done this?