Gastric Bypass

tootts

Looking for experienced completed bypass cruisers and how you survive and enjoy the cruises after surgery. Upcoming surgery with an upcoming TA in November. Would appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks,

Norma

Edited by tootts

• 2 weeks later...
Looking for experienced completed bypass cruisers and how you survive and enjoy the cruises after surgery. Upcoming surgery with an upcoming TA in November. Would appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks,

Norma

I am 11 years out of Roux and Y bypass surgery. I am not sure how far out you are. I will give you an FYI based on my experience. There are foods that I still can't tolerate. I can eat almost anything else. I found the best thing for me was to head to the buffet, and check out everything, before taking a dish. I don't eat well in the heat, so this helps me. In fact, if I lived in a HOT climate, I would probably have never been very heavy! If you are having the surgery soon, and going on a trip in November; you will not be able to eat very much. It just depends on how your doctor introduces food after surgery. I would stick with the omelets at breakfast. The cook will gladly pull out the Pam if you ask him. You can get seafood at lunch and dinner. If you have specific questions, please feel free to ask. I feel like I am just rambling.

• 2 months later...

Thanks,

Norma

Had my roux and y oct. 22, did a quick Bahamas cruise in dec. stuck to eggs, mashed potatoes and took packs of protein shakes. The ship always supplied me with fat free milk.

For our cruise in March I had eggs, sausage patties, hash for breakfast. Still only get down about a cup. For lunch and dinner, potatoes chicken salad(which I do good with. Just lettuce and cheese no vegetables.) if the have something sugar free in dessert I'll let myself have 2-3 bites but I never eat sugar. I know eventually people get back in to it but not me. I didn't go through all this to screw it up!!

In the buffet it's easy to stick with things and by November you'll know what you can and cannot tolerate.

I got weighed Monday and I've lost 82 lbs in 6 months. Having the bypass was the best thing I ever did. It's not easy, you have to work at it everyday, but when you see results so quickly, it keeps you motivated and smiling !

Good luck!! You'll do great!!!!!

Thank you all so much!!!

I am now 7 weeks post surgery and doing good. Some foods are still intolerable, some getting better. Have learned the very important task of listening to that pre-full feeling and by all means, not drinking for an hour after the meal! Nice part about cruising is the number of protein choices.

Sounds like you all are dong terrific - a great example for newbies like me:)

Thanks,

Norma

Thank you all so much!!!

I am now 7 weeks post surgery and doing good. Some foods are still intolerable, some getting better. Have learned the very important task of listening to that pre-full feeling and by all means, not drinking for an hour after the meal! Nice part about cruising is the number of protein choices.

Sounds like you all are dong terrific - a great example for newbies like me:)

Thanks,

Norma

Congrats on your surgery! A few times I have not stopped when I should have and oh I was miserable. I still struggle with stopping when there are only a couple of bites left on the plate. I guess my aunts "clean platter club" from childhood had more of an affect on me than I thought. Keep in contact with me. It's good to have support and I really want to know how you're doing!!keep up the good work!

Sue

Another thing to watch out for is alcohol. For many people this is a essential part of their cruise experience but after gastric surgery you become VERY sensitive to alcohol and because it passes into your blood stream so fast you can put yourself at risk of alcohol poisoning.

http://bariatrictimes.com/alcohol-and-the-gastric-bypass-patient/

Also, avoid anything rich or fatty unless you want to experience the joy that is gastric dumping. People vary in what counts as rich...I can't drink smoothies or undiluted juices. If I do then I really regret it! :(

And just be careful about your meat intake. Around the time you go, you will be able to eat a wider variety of foods but if you eat meat that is too dry it can be flipping painful for hours. Adding gravy can help a lot. And the type of meat matters. Most people seem to find chicken easier to manage than steak. Three years out, I still can't eat more than a few mouthfuls of steak. Seafood is an excellent option.

And definitely take protein shake or bars as a back up in case you do over do things and need to revert to easier food for a day or two.

Another thing to watch out for is alcohol. For many people this is a essential part of their cruise experience but after gastric surgery you become VERY sensitive to alcohol and because it passes into your blood stream so fast you can put yourself at risk of alcohol poisoning.

Also, avoid anything rich or fatty unless you want to experience the joy that is gastric dumping. People vary in what counts as rich...I can't drink smoothies or undiluted juices. If I do then I really regret it! :(

And just be careful about your meat intake. Around the time you go, you will be able to eat a wider variety of foods but if you eat meat that is too dry it can be flipping painful for hours. Adding gravy can help a lot. And the type of meat matters. Most people seem to find chicken easier to manage than steak. Three years out, I still can't eat more than a few mouthfuls of steak. Seafood is an excellent option.

And definitely take protein shake or bars as a back up in case you do over do things and need to revert to easier food for a day or two.

I allowed myself a total of 4 daquaries in 5 days our last cruise. They were great but drinking one hits like drinking 4. That's why I only did one a day. I agree steak is rough. I had one in a restaurant that was tender like butter and I did ok but it has to be cut with a fork tender and you don't find that often. Chicken is the best. I had a lap band prior to the by pass and I lived on mainly chicken for 7 years. Good thing I like it!! The past few days I have found myself eating more and so today after my cataract surgery I think is the perfect time to do a protein shake day. Maybe tomorrow too. Get back on track.

Sue

I allowed myself a total of 4 daquaries in 5 days our last cruise. They were great but drinking one hits like drinking 4. That's why I only did one a day. I agree steak is rough. I had one in a restaurant that was tender like butter and I did ok but it has to be cut with a fork tender and you don't find that often. Chicken is the best. I had a lap band prior to the by pass and I lived on mainly chicken for 7 years. Good thing I like it!! The past few days I have found myself eating more and so today after my cataract surgery I think is the perfect time to do a protein shake day. Maybe tomorrow too. Get back on track.

Sue

Sue,

Hope your surgery went good now you are all better.

When I started this thread I was going to have the RnY & then had to change doctors 3 weeks before the surgery was scheduled and ended up doing the sleeve. True to all of you terrific supporters, it is getting better each day. Am 9 weeks post surgery today and down 34 pounds. Introducing foods a very small amount at a time just to be careful. Some work and others not so much. Surprisingly enough, having the most trouble with chicken and eggs. Who would have thought?:p. ground beef seems to be the easiest. Plus if I do not get enough protein I am hungry a lot of time. Apparently the sleeve is very different from RnY on hunger......

All the best,

Norma

Thanks Kat. All excellent advice. I have had that pain - unfortunately several times as I am a slow learner :eek::p and am finally doing what ever I can to avoid it! Fortunately, when cruising, I prefer the seafood choices as I am not a good cook and they always seem to have great fish selections. Gravy does definitely help!:D

Take care,

Norma

Glad I came here to read this thread...will be having the sleeve in late June and one of our cruises will be Sept 13, and the other in Dec.

All this advice is helping me learn about what options I may be able to handle on the cruise.

Good Job to All Of Ya'll and Thank You for sharing your knowledge.

Glad I came here to read this thread...will be having the sleeve in late June and one of our cruises will be Sept 13, and the other in Dec.

All this advice is helping me learn about what options I may be able to handle on the cruise.

All the best wishes for you. I have posted for you on the other site - let me know if you have questions. I know that everyone's experience is different, but talking to each other really helps - little bit here and there and you figure out what to use for yourself.:)

Good luck and best wishes! This is the start of am new life! My main advise, DRINK YOUR PROTEIN SHAKES!!!! First for the protein and second, you'll lose better. Every time I start to slack on them I don't lose as much. Take it slow, the first few months are the hardest. I'm 6 months post op, lost 90 lbs. feel wonderful but still learning what I can handle. I still haven't eaten any sugar, I was told not to so I don't. I don't miss it!!! There is some really good sugar free ice cream out there which I allow myself 3 evenings a week, trying not to get in to my bad habits again, even of it is sugar free.

Mainly, just do what they tell you. As far as your cruise, you really won't be hungry anyway. Take stuff for your shakes and the ship will make them up for you. Check with them and they may even supply them. Also take the little packets of Crystal light to drink since their lemonade has sugar. I always keep some in my purse.

It's not easy or a miracle cure but you'll be so happy you did it!!

Sue

I had surgery in 2006 and cruised six months later. I had a great time. Eggs for breakfast, soft solid for lunch like fish or beef. Then I had entree at dinner but had to take part of my food from the dining room. At first when I cruised I would put my leftovers in a coffee cup for later but then more recent years I would ask for a plate cover and my waiter would bring me one each night after the first night. I would usually set again later in the evening. I would have light drinks like wine, can't really tolerate really sugary drinks. And I worked out every day either in the gym or walking track.

I had surgery in 2006 and cruised six months later. I had a great time. Eggs for breakfast, soft solid for lunch like fish or beef. Then I had entree at dinner but had to take part of my food from the dining room. At first when I cruised I would put my leftovers in a coffee cup for later but then more recent years I would ask for a plate cover and my waiter would bring me one each night after the first night. I would usually set again later in the evening. I would have light drinks like wine, can't really tolerate really sugary drinks. And I worked out every day either in the gym or walking track.

Sounds wonderful. Thank you. Have you been successful in your weight management?

Where is H-town?

Norma

Edited by tootts

• 2 weeks later...
Sue,

Hope your surgery went good now you are all better.

When I started this thread I was going to have the RnY & then had to change doctors 3 weeks before the surgery was scheduled and ended up doing the sleeve. True to all of you terrific supporters, it is getting better each day. Am 9 weeks post surgery today and down 34 pounds. Introducing foods a very small amount at a time just to be careful. Some work and others not so much. Surprisingly enough, having the most trouble with chicken and eggs. Who would have thought?:p. ground beef seems to be the easiest. Plus if I do not get enough protein I am hungry a lot of time. Apparently the sleeve is very different from RnY on hunger......

All the best,

Norma

Had the sleeve 11/28/13 lost 150+ lbs since then, cannot stand beef anymore and I used to eat almost nothing but. Chicken, tuna, pork, veggies and non canned fruits are what drives me now, would still like to loose another 40 lbs or so, but stuck at the same weight for 5 months hoping more exercise will finally break that trend.

Did Alaska last year and found it near impossible to finish more than a small plate. Pretty much still the same but promised myself I would have Lobster the next trip so a little more stretch is needed!

Have fun, eat slow, chew well and wait to drink for an hour after:D

Sounds wonderful. Thank you. Have you been successful in your weight management?

Where is H-town?

Norma

So excited. Had cataract surgery Monday. Got weighed and I've now lost 96 pounds in 7 1/2 months! Can't wait for our cruise in November. The great clothes I can buy! When you see the results of your hard work and sacrifice, it just makes your heart sing!!! Puts a real bounce in your step'!!!

So excited. Had cataract surgery Monday. Got weighed and I've now lost 96 pounds in 7 1/2 months! Can't wait for our cruise in November. The great clothes I can buy! When you see the results of your hard work and sacrifice, it just makes your heart sing!!! Puts a real bounce in your step'!!!

Congratulations on both the Cataract surgery and the terrific weight loss!!! Where are you going in November?

I had my 3 month check up yesterday. 41 pounds down!! I'm starting to get that bounce:D

Norma

Hi Norma

H-town is Hot and humid Houston Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh my - hot and humid!!! We are with you love any place we can travel to also!!:D

Norma

Edited by tootts

Congratulations on both the Cataract surgery and the terrific weight loss!!! Where are you going in November?

I had my 3 month check up yesterday. 41 pounds down!! I'm starting to get that bounce:D

Norma

Congrats to you! I laugh because we have to be the only people that get excited about being weighed. Don't you get the feeling of "uh ha, yep, look at me!" It's exhilarating. Next summer is my 40th class reunion. I'm going! I weighed 250 through high school. The only reason the "in" crowd gave me the time of day was because my mom taught there and they all loved her.

Keep doing what you're doing. I was told 10 lbs a mount is outstanding, 5 lbs a month is expected. You are doing fantastic. Go ahead and put that bounce in your step girlfriend, you are fabulous!!!!

Sue

Edited by nurse1sue

Norma

Oh and in November, we are doing a Royal Caribbean 9 night repo from Fort Lauderdale to Tampa. It goes to labadee, Curaçao, Aruba, and Grand Caymans. Lots of sea days. If you're looking for a fall cruise think about it! There's quite a group of us that met on here that has become close. Prices just soared but they should come down again. They usually go up during the sales. I will be in a bathing suit, saggy skin and all !!! I can even wear a sun dress!!!!!! Yeah!!!!

I too had gastric bypass in August of last year and we are cruising in August a surprise party for our 16 year old so today my nsf is I got to buy me a new dress for formal night I am so excited not to have to go to the plus size section for clothes I have lost 125 lbs since surgery and feel fabulous.. :)

I too had gastric bypass in August of last year and we are cruising in August a surprise party for our 16 year old so today my nsf is I got to buy me a new dress for formal night I am so excited not to have to go to the plus size section for clothes I have lost 125 lbs since surgery and feel fabulous.. :)

Congratulations on you'd fabulous weight loss. You'll look smashing in a dress now. I got into an XL tee shirt and strutted like uhuh, look at me! Going to vail CO next month for a meeting and the wives are all so snobby. Even though i still have about another 50 to lose , I'll still look an FEEL great.

Sue

I am sooo glad to find this thread! Thank you Tootts for starting it! I had gastric bypass April 17, so I'm still on a fairly restricted diet (up to chicken and turkey) and as of my 1 month check up, I had lost 25lb. Am starting to have to "retire" some of my pants and start shopping my closet for previously-outgrown things! :D

Glad to hear that so many of you, besides having fabulous weight loss success, have had an easy time cruising post surgery. Now that I have learned that feeling that's like a light switch, that means put the fork down NOW, I'm feeling pretty confident about handling it. Our next cruise is coming up in January, so I've got a ways to go before I start buying cruise clothing....although I have started thinking of where I can purchase a new bathing suit in the winter if I need to!!

Looking forward to following you all through your journeys - both your personal journeys and your cruise journeys!