Pay twice to check bag to Europe (connecting flight different airline)

hfitzger

I have searched the web and cannot find an answer for this particular situation (only for connecting domestic flights on different airlines or connecting international but same airline). Please forgive me if this is common knowledge...

We have flight booked on Orbitz (otherwise I would not have planned to switch airlines on connection if booking directly on airline website).

Philadelphia to Frankfurt, Germany on US Airways

Frankfurt to Venice, Italy on Lufthansa

* Are we subject to two separate checked bag fees because they are different airlines as well as both technically international flights?

* Do we have to reclaim luggage in FRA and re-check to final destination of Venice or drop them off in PHL and not see them again until Venice?

Thanks for your help!

Most airlines transfer your bags to the next flight. Being trans Atlantic flight you probably won't be paying any baggage fees. If you have to pay baggage fees I would find an airline that doesn't charge baggage fee across the ocean.

Can't answer about Frankfurt customs .

If it is one ticket, your bag will be checked all the way through. US and Lufthansa are partners so it should all be seamless. This is pretty common. My guess is you shouldn't have any bag fees since it's an international (outside N America) trip.

In Frankfurt you will clear immigration, but not customs. If your bag is checked through, you won't see it until Venice, where you will clear Italian customs.

So: you will clear German immigration in Frankfurt, which also serves as de facto Italian immigration on behalf of the Schengen Agreement. You will clear Italian customs in Italy with your bag, if it is checked through from PHL, which it should be if your trip is all one ticket (as it sounds).

If it is one ticket, your bag will be checked all the way through. US and Lufthansa are partners so it should all be seamless. This is pretty common. My guess is you shouldn't have any bag fees since it's an international (outside N America) trip.

In Frankfurt you will clear immigration, but not customs. If your bag is checked through, you won't see it until Venice, where you will clear Italian customs.

So: you will clear German immigration in Frankfurt, which also serves as de facto Italian immigration on behalf of the Schengen Agreement. You will clear Italian customs in Italy with your bag, if it is checked through from PHL, which it should be if your trip is all one ticket (as it sounds).

I guess I didn't realize that international flights have free bags. I assumed that since domestic charged bag fees, international definitely would... Stupid me for not looking at it, as I assumed there was a charge. Thank you for the clarification!

Just be aware that for a TATL flight on US, you get only one free checked bag if you are in economy. The second checked bag will cost you $100! Also, LH is very strict, IME, about the size and weight of your carryon, so be careful. You can find this info on their webpage.

Archived