When or do I have to retrieve luggage?

wesandbiggie

We are going a HAL European cruise out of Barcelona next month. We are traveling from SC to Atlanta to Amsterdam to Barcelona on Delta. Layover in Amsterdam in about 4 hours, Will our luggage go through to Barcelona from Greenville or will we have to pick it up and re-check it? Delta is giving us various answers. Thank you!

As I answered on your other post, you will not be on Delta from Amsterdam to Barcelona, and I don't believe you will be on Delta from Atlanta to Amsterdam either, you will be on KLM.

In either case, you will most likely NOT be collecting your bags until Barcelona.

Check your E-Tickets. If the Delta flight from Atlanta to Amsterdam has DLxx or DLxxx (so DL followed by 2 or 3 digits) it will be a Delta operated flight. If that flight has DLxxxx (4 digits that is) or KLxxx (again 3 digits), it will be operated by KLM.

If you give your flight time from ATL to AMS, I can look it up for you as well, because both Delta & KLM have direct flights to Amsterdam

But in any of the above cases your bags normally should get routed until Barcelona.

You will need to pass the Maree Chaussee (border control) in Amsterdam before your flight to Barcelona but you do not pick up the bags.

Reason for the "complicated" flight numbers is the code share agreements between airlines. For flights between Europe & the States the codeshare flight number (so NOT the operating airline) is 4 digits and the actual flight number (the airline that operates the flight) consist of 2 or 3 digits, depending on the airline's construction of flight numbers.

Edited by headhunterke
Additional info

As I answered on your other post, you will not be on Delta from Amsterdam to Barcelona, and I don't believe you will be on Delta from Atlanta to Amsterdam either, you will be on KLM.

In either case, you will most likely NOT be collecting your bags until Barcelona.

There are Delta operated flights from ATL-AMS; I'm on one this summer.

OP: If you are on ONE ticket, your luggage should be checked through to Barcelona. If you don't know if you're on a KLM-operated or DL-operation flight, it should show on your flight confirmation. Ex. you may have a DL flight number and underneath it will say *operated by KLM.