Fundraiser Luau

Karysa

When in Cassis, France this spring we happened upon a wine tasting in celebration of 80 years of wine making in the region. We really enjoyed the experience and wondered if anyone has attended a Luau other than the touristy ones and if so how did you find out about it. I read that Luau's are sometimes held as a fundraiser and since we have a few nights in Maui and a week in Kauai I thought that this would be a fun way to spend an evening. Thanks for any info that you have on this subject.:)

Years ago, my friends and I stumbled upon Tahiti Nui up in Princeville/Hanelei, Kauai (back in the 80s, before it was featured in The Descendants movie). There was a birthday luau going on that was open to all. So cute - steam tables set up with good old Hawaiian offerings. A local band played. The young daughter of the birthday "girl" (she was in her 40s) danced a very sweet hula for her mom. A very fun experience. After that one, and the big luau at the Kona Village resort (now closed due to extensive damage from the 2011 earthquake), I have no desire to do any tourist luau...

I think Tahiti Nui may have a little luau weekly. Check their website, thenui.com... Definitely NOT your big production luau...

Edited by slidergirl

Years ago, my friends and I stumbled upon Tahiti Nui up in Princeville/Hanelei, Kauai (back in the 80s, before it was featured in The Descendants movie). There was a birthday luau going on that was open to all. So cute - steam tables set up with good old Hawaiian offerings. A local band played. The young daughter of the birthday "girl" (she was in her 40s) danced a very sweet hula for her mom. A very fun experience. After that one, and the big luau at the Kona Village resort (now closed due to extensive damage from the 2011 earthquake), I have no desire to do any tourist luau...

I think Tahiti Nui may have a little luau weekly. Check their website, thenui.com... Definitely NOT your big production luau...

I love this story and immediately went to the website and checked it out. What a little gem.:) I booked it. Thanks so much for sharing. :)

I'm still interested in a fund raiser luau so if anyone has a lead on one of those that would be great.

We really enjoyed the experience and wondered if anyone has attended a Luau other than the touristy ones and if so how did you find out about it. I read that Luau's are sometimes held as a fundraiser and since we have a few nights in Maui and a week in Kauai I thought that this would be a fun way to spend an evening. Thanks for any info that you have on this subject.:)

What you might research (we tried doing so, but it is too early to find schedules for April, 2017) are events called "Ho'olaule'as". They are celebrations or festivals held for a variety of reasons and are held throughout the year around the island. These are mostly non-tourist events. You will have to wait until a lot closer to your date of arrival to find the exact dates. If you get The Maui News online, check out the Maui Scene section in every Thursday's edition. Also, "Maui Time" is a weekly rag that is free, and you may be able to access it online. They list practically every event known to mankind on Maui, and are not tourist oriented.

Luaus or dinner shows that are not tourist oriented and are fundraisers are, in our experience, extremely expensive as they are just that - fundraisers.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

Thank you so much Silver Sweetheart for the valuable information. Would May 1st, Lei Day in Kauai be a day where there would be a local public Luau such as the wine tasting celebration in Cassis, France that I mentioned we were lucky enough to stumble upon?

Also can you purchase newspapers from Kauai in Mauai?

Thanks again 😊

Thank you so much Silver Sweetheart for the valuable information. Would May 1st, Lei Day in Kauai be a day where there would be a local public Luau such as the wine tasting celebration in Cassis, France that I mentioned we were lucky enough to stumble upon?

Also can you purchase newspapers from Kauai in Mauai?

Thanks again 😊

We haven't been to Kauai in years, but there used to be a small event on May Day at the Kauai Museum. Nothing like a luau, but a lei contest, food vendors, etc. Once again, this information is dated and you might want to google the place. May Day will be on a Monday next year, so many people will be working and not able to have any events. As to "The Garden Island" (Kauai newspaper), your best bet would be to check their website. You might also ask the staff at wherever you are staying what is going on when you get to Maui and Kauai. Locals know local best.

We haven't been to Kauai in years, but there used to be a small event on May Day at the Kauai Museum. Nothing like a luau, but a lei contest, food vendors, etc. Once again, this information is dated and you might want to google the place. May Day will be on a Monday next year, so many people will be working and not able to have any events. As to "The Garden Island" (Kauai newspaper), your best bet would be to check their website. You might also ask the staff at wherever you are staying what is going on when you get to Maui and Kauai. Locals know local best.

Yes I did read that May 1st is Lei day and in Kauai there will be a function at the museum to celebrate it. I believe it's $5 to get in and they sell them, make them and there is a best lei contest. I was hoping that the day would include a luau but I have not read that.

I will check the online newspaper closer to the date and we will ask locals as well.

I read that there are free hula shows on Kauai also which will also make for a good outing and a great picture opportunity. :)

I read that there are free hula shows on Kauai also which will also make for a good outing and a great picture opportunity. :)

You will find that some of the beauty of Maui is in unscripted happenings. Some of our best experiences have been spontaneous or with little notice. Tourist events are ongoing and can be scheduled well in advance, but locals subscribe to things being on "Maui time" ("whenever"). Word of mouth works well here. You will be early for the various church festivals here, but your timing may be right for Kauai churches.

If you are foodies, there are many places here that are off the beaten path (e.g. Try the hot, fresh malasadas at Home Maid Bakery on Lower Main Street in Wailuku). Want a multi-course gourmet luncheon at (for what you get) a decent price? Try "A Class Act" at the University of Hawaii Maui campus. Serving only for several hours on Wednesdays and Fridays during the Spring and Fall semesters and with only 75 guests, this is sort of an insider thing. You see snowbirds but no real tourists (read about A Class Act on Open Table). These are just a few examples of different things to do (and eat) here.

You will find that some of the beauty of Maui is in unscripted happenings. Some of our best experiences have been spontaneous or with little notice. Tourist events are ongoing and can be scheduled well in advance, but locals subscribe to things being on "Maui time" ("whenever"). Word of mouth works well here. You will be early for the various church festivals here, but your timing may be right for Kauai churches.

If you are foodies, there are many places here that are off the beaten path (e.g. Try the hot, fresh malasadas at Home Maid Bakery on Lower Main Street in Wailuku). Want a multi-course gourmet luncheon at (for what you get) a decent price? Try "A Class Act" at the University of Hawaii Maui campus. Serving only for several hours on Wednesdays and Fridays during the Spring and Fall semesters and with only 75 guests, this is sort of an insider thing. You see snowbirds but no real tourists (read about A Class Act on Open Table). These are just a few examples of different things to do (and eat) here.

Huge foodies:D Thanks for the tips. We looked up A Class Act and we are going to book that if it's available. We will keep our eyes and ears open for local events and festivals.

We are skipping driving the road to Hana and we don't have set plans for Halekala crater. We hope to see both on a helicopter tour and if that doesn't satisfy us we will have Saturday that we can do part of the Rd to Hana or Halekala or if we are up early enough perhaps both. I was hoping to do south Maui on Saturday and a sunset sail from the Kaanapali area.

• 3 months later...

I am very excited. I was able to book a lunch at the "Class Act" at the University as you suggested. It's French day and the menu looks fantastic. Thanks for the suggestion.😀

• 3 months later...

Silver Sweethearts, I want to thank you for the suggestion of having a meal at "A Class Act". We were the first guests on "grade the students day" and it was so much fun to see the students huddle, take a picture and just bubble over with excitement as they greeted us, cooked, and served us an unforgettable lunch. It was such a great meal. Blew our calories for about 3 days but so worth it. 😊

I ran into a chef for the Ritz Carleton and she had never heard of "A Class Act" but she did say that they hire the graduating students.

Another event that we were fortunate to be on Maui for was the fire knife competition. That was a fun night as well.

Thanks again for your suggestions and advice.😊

We just came back from a very authentic feeling family luau at Tahiti Nui with the unearthing of the pig and all. We really enjoyed it. The stage was small and there were a total of 3 female and 1 male dancer who also was the fire knife dancer. The food was not our faviorite part of the evening but we knew that going in.😊

Thank you Slidergirl for the suggestion. It was exactly the type of Luau that we were looking for.