Antarctica cruises - flights to Ushuaia

machotspur

Help please !

Is there anyone out there that has taken a Silversea expedition cruise from Ushuaia, Argentina, this season (Nov 16-Jan 17) ?

The reason for asking …

My wife and I have had a booking for quite a while to join a Silver Explorer trip to Antarctica/Falklands/South Georgia in November 2017.

We have booked our international flights and plan to spend a few days in Buenos Aires before flying out to Ushuaia.

I understand that historically Silversea have arranged a dedicated charter flight to/from Ushuaia, however this season they have decided not to do this. One has to either make own arrangements, or book on a specific scheduled flight to Ushuaia through Silversea. The flights in question are very unreliable so there is some sense in booking through Silversea on this occasion, and gaining the protection this offers.

So – if there is anyone out there that has taken a Silversea cruise from Ushuaia this season, and booked the scheduled flight through them, what time did it depart from Buenos Aires ?

At the moment they are suggesting that the flight could be at 5am – on embarkation day – meaning leaving the hotel at 2.30am, which is just ridiculous IMHO.

Thank you, if you are able to provide any information.

That sounds like what they did back in 2009, when we were on their charter. I just looked at my notes and we left the hotel at 5AM for a 7AM flight. It seemed early but it was fine, and better to be in Ushuaia early than late!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

JP - thank you very much for your insight.

We could live with a 7am flight as you had, but the proposed 5am flight is, for us, undesirable.We would be leaving the hotel earlier the minus 2 hours you experienced, as it is now a scheduled flight, not a charter. The result - don't bother going to bed that night !

It remains to see if anyone is reading this that has taken an Antarctic cruise, and therefore the scheduled flight, in the past couple of months.

Thank you again.

We will be doing this in 5 weeks but we are going to spend a couple of nights in Ushuaia before the cruise.We are on a LAN flight as on a one world RTW ticket.The only flights are 0500 and 0720.So we took the 0720 as we didn't want to be up so early!.

Aerolineas prob have flights but we didn't look at those.

If Silversea arrange the flight, they will hold the bus if the flight is late.

We sat in the Airport for more than 12 hours due to a pilot strike while SS frantically tried to make alternate arrangements.

If you choose Aerolineas or even LAN, go a day early and check out Ushuaia , plenty to see.

Thank you drron29 & tgh

Having sought advice from various directions we decided that we needed the protection of the flights being booked through Silversea. This is a very high cost trip for us and we wouldn’t feel great if we missed the cruise/lost our money.

What we subsequently found out (the potential for a 5am flight) really concerned us. Silversea appear to be set on using LAN, despite the fact that the only flight on the day in question is the 5am (the 7.20 operates less frequently).

We are unwilling to fly to Ushuaia independently several days early, which we would have to, to give enough ‘just in case’ time . We’ve visited Ushuaia previously and have no wish to spend another few days there.

So – we await information from Silversea on their confirmed flights, and of course any info from anyone on here that has taken a cruise from Ushuaia this season, together with flight arranged through Silversea.

Thank you again for sharing your experience..