Cell Phone

CruiserShip3

Can I use my cell phone at sea and/or at the Ports? How does that work?

Most of the answers here are correct if you have a major carrier (Verizon, ATT).

You didn't list that item in your question, so I would add that plans like Straight Talk, Consumer Cellular, Cricket, Tracfone, etc. will not work at all outside of the US, including on a ship.

Some have provisions for international use, but no one can comment about that without knowing which carrier is being used.

No, it will still be the same phone you had before you boarded the ship.

When you board the ship, you may notice that your carrier may change to "Cellular at Sea" and if you don't put your phone in Airplane Mode and get a call you will pay about $5/minute to talk.

When you board the ship, you may notice that your carrier may change to "Cellular at Sea" and if you don't put your phone in Airplane Mode and get a call you will pay about $5/minute to talk.

But it will still be the same phone.

On Jewel of the Seas it went through AT&T and was closer to $8 a minute. :eek:

$500 lesson learned

Edited by John&LaLa

Mitchell, My statement was to the lady who said her son was Autistic and rode the elevators for comfort. I simply asked her a question if she had read a book. Why is that an infraction on Cruise Critic or do you just hand out infractions for the fun of it? Did you give her an infraction for saying she read it?

Mitchell, My statement was to the lady who said her son was Autistic and rode the elevators for comfort. I simply asked her a question if she had read a book. Why is that an infraction on Cruise Critic or do you just hand out infractions for the fun of it? Did you give her an infraction for saying she read it?

I don't understand this post, so there must be a history I am not aware of.

Verizon told me I could get international call to/from my iphone for $40 per month extra on my plan. Problem was if my cruise was over the last week of one month and into the next month it would be a 2 month charge. Fortunately my next cruise is only one week. I will not get any cell plan. If they need me, it will have to wait:D

The one month international plan has a start date and end date which runs for 30 consecutive calendar days. The one time international plan days does not have to coincide with your domestic plan. You would only be charged one time for the $40.

About once a year we buy the international plan for a trip to Europe and have never had the plan purchase match our current billing cycle.

I'm not very knowledgeable about phones, but when we were in St. Thomas on a cruise this December, we had to spend a lot of time on our phone due to a family medical emergency. We had to call the hospital and other family members and also arrange flight changes for when we got back to Florida.

My phone bill was over twice what we normally pay for the month but necessary in our case. I thought possibly charges would be less in St. Thomas.

Most of the answers here are correct if you have a major carrier (Verizon, ATT).

You didn't list that item in your question, so I would add that plans like Straight Talk, Consumer Cellular, Cricket, Tracfone, etc. will not work at all outside of the US, including on a ship.

Some have provisions for international use, but no one can comment about that without knowing which carrier is being used.

Cricket plans priced from $50 and up provide service in Canada and Mexico. Cricket is owned by AT&T.