How scary are the zip lines???

bethtogo

I'm not much for heights.... just wondering how scary it is doing the zip lines? I may just send my husband and kids on them.

my mom did ziplining last year, my mom being the mom who would pay for her entrance to disney and universal studios just to wait for us to get off every ride!

she said it was "very exciting but you and your brother would be more bored than anything else"

all i know is if my mother can handle it, anyone can.

my mom is horrified of the great thunder mountain ride in magic kingdom if that means anything to you!

Just returned from a cruise with a stop in Roatan.

We did the South Shore zipline and it was fantastic! We had done a canopy course in Dominica that included two ziplines and loved it. This one has about nine ziplines - much longer - and we had a great time. I WAS surprised at how much strength it took in my left arm [i have two "bad" shoulders] to hold me upright - the right hand was used for braking. And, I mean you use your gloved hand to brake you, which was a bit intimidating at first.

However, you should know that I'm no spring chicken - although I AM a chicken - and I thought it was great. [i HATED Thunder Mountain - couldn't wait for that ride to stop!] It's a "once-in-a-lifetime" experience and you'll be very proud of yourself when you finish! If you're at all prone to motion sickness, you might want to consider a small dose of whatever you take to avoid that, as you do twist around some [unless you remember to put your braking hand farther back on the line!] and they sometimes shake the line after you take off.

I'd do it again in a NY minute!!

I HATE heights. My boyfriend is the opposite. He chose the Pirates of the Caribbean EXTREME zip line of course..."It's the highest and the longest" he says. I thought I was going to puke waiting in line to do the first zip line. Once the guide recounted a tale of someone losing a finger by grabbing the line, I was more concerned about THAT than the height. After the first one though, it was a piece of cake. I didn't LOVE it, but didn't hate it...and I'm really glad I didn't chicken out.

We used Clip N Zip In Roatan last week. I am afraid of heights but it was on my bucket list so I had to do it. I loved it and can't wait to do it again. It was very safe and the staff is willing to go tandem with you until you feel comfortable. HAVE FUN!

• 2 weeks later...

Be aware that there are many zip lines in Roatan - and how scary they are definitely varies. We have done South Shore and Pirates Extremely Extreme. South Shore started short, low, and gentle. It worked its way up to the longest, highest line. This might be better for you. The larger of the two pirates courses starts out with three lines over 1000 feet long and 200 feet high. It was great - but might be very scary for some people. We knocked the one at Gumbalina Park and Victor Bodden's out because they seemed smaller, so those might also be good options for your family.

I'm not much for heights.... just wondering how scary it is doing the zip lines? I may just send my husband and kids on them.

went on clip and zip in roatan. i am terrified of heights.. I loved it. go it was beautiful and not scary

I did Victor Bodden's course with my almost 7yo DS1 in January. It is definitely low key, there is no braking etc as the guides do everything for you, including going to get you if you get stuck on the line :) We were no more than 40ft off the ground at any one time; and although some of the platforms were narrow and had no railings, you were always clipped onto a line. The course has 12 or 13 lines, many are quite short. I would recommend it as a beginner course.

• 2 weeks later...

we used jungletop and I was scared to death! but I am so glad I went, it was the highlight of our trip. there were 18 platforms so you definitely get your moneys worth! you won't regret it, its really fun and aside from jumping off of the platforms, its really not scary. just close your eyes and go butt first LOL!

We loved it and my 3 year old did it by herself last year and loved it too. We did the zip and dip with Victor (which is suppose to be one of the "smaller" ones that doesn't go as high or long). If you are concerned about it, I would go with them to start out with for your first time. We had never done it before and didn't know what to expect. Toward the end of the zip...they had us trying things like upside down as we zipped and it was a blast. :D

Archived