1st cruise

drothenberg

I think it depends on where you are from and your tolerance for cold.

Both times we went were in August. We wore jeans and t-shirts and wished we had worn shorts while we were doing the trail to Nugget Falls and Mendenhall. We passed people who were wearing parkas and scarves.

We could have worn shorts, but managed in long pants.

On glacier day we were out on deck for hours. It was really, really cold. Wear layers, gloves, hat, etc. That was the only time we were ever really cold.

But we are used to 9 months of winter (haha) so cooler temperatures don't bother us. People from warmer climates might get cold more easily.

There are so many factors ... everyone's tollerance of weather is different ... weather changes year to year (and even day to day) ... being at sea vs on land may factor in, etc. But as others have said, layers are probably your best bet.

My brother lived & worked in Seward AK last year and I was looking at his pictures from early August ... in most of them the 'locals' are wearing jeans and t-shirts with open flannel shirts over them. Very few actual coats or heavy jackets but not many shorts or summer clothes in the August pics ... though just a few weeks earlier in July cargo shorts seemed to be the norm for the guys.

Camping at Lowell Point Beach - August 10th

13920863_10208900357399598_7775438365779721520_n.jpg?oh=224ec51afef793aed34882c27ddf856f&oe=58E35FFB

Resurrection Bay - Aug. 15th

14054147_10208951802005681_3536735750648803591_n.jpg?oh=8a05387c7199642143cbf6ece61d63f1&oe=5914299C

Edited by Cro_and_Swan

Layers is the word. More often than not you're not going to need shorts, unless they're hiking shorts for a hiking or backpacking excursion. It will always be cold on glacier day, so be prepared if you want to enjoy the scenery out on deck or on your balcony. Alaska is phenomenal.

Roz

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We always each pack a pair of bermudas -- you never can predict if you may have a warm day. And there have been times in Alaska when it was warm.

Our first cruise to Alaska back in the 80's we had several very hot days.

You should pack clothes that you can layer, take water proof shoes and jackets. We also take small portable umbrellas for rainy weather.

We just booked our 1st cruise to Alaska in beginning of Aug just wondering what to expect with weather more shorts or warmer wear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Hi!

We're also planning to experience Alaska, however it won't be on August as my work won't let me. But I'll be there by November. I have already inquired on various travel sites like hotels.com and hotelsdifferently.com. Both had provided me with very helpful insights and virtual tour. And so they say that weather in Alaska from mid May to mid September can change from 50 degrees Fahrenheit to 80 degrees Fahrenheit at any time, and does so on a daily basis, not on a monthly basis. However, one thing that you must consider is your list of activities as it can create a weather change such as if you are up under the calving face of a glacier. I hope this served some help. :)