New to cruising out of Galveston

Have never cruised out of Galveston in past but considering Liberty of Seas for May 2016. We would like to fly in to Hobby on Saturday shuttle to hotel in Galveston and then taxi to ship for Sunday departure. Would rather not rent a car. Is this doable? Can you walk to restaurants from Galveston hotels? Could we get a shuttle from Hobby to Galveston hotel? Sorry lots of questions!!

Have never cruised out of Galveston in past but considering Liberty of Seas for May 2016. We would like to fly in to Hobby on Saturday shuttle to hotel in Galveston and then taxi to ship for Sunday departure. Would rather not rent a car. Is this doable? Can you walk to restaurants from Galveston hotels? Could we get a shuttle from Hobby to Galveston hotel? Sorry lots of questions!!

We stayed at Hilton a few times and that is walking distance to a few restaurants, problem is hotels seemed to double or triple price in last few years. We cruised at end of April and I had a choice of spending 300 a night for Galveston or 100 for hotel by Hobby, so we stayed at Doubletree by Hobby for about 100 nice hotel then used ExecuCar to get ride to ship the next day, we also will do same in April 2016 and I most likely will book by Hobby again

There is also Galvestonlimo.com shuttle between Hobby and Galveston and back. It is not a limo but a shared van ride. Last time I looked it was still $60 roundtrip for seniors and I think $70 RT for others. They have been reliable for us.

We drove from Dallas to galveston and stayed at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort....booked well in advance and got it for around $100 on a Saturday night. It is right next to Landrys, and Rainforest Cafe and faces the beach. We walked to dinner (in pouring rain)

• 2 weeks later...

The Four Pts by Sheraton is a good Galveston Beach option too. It is directly across from the beach and a block to Saltgrass and a few other restaurants and eateries. Murdoch's Gifts is straight across the street and has a wonderful over ocean balcony with rocking chairs to sit and relax in. It's usually reasonably priced. I don't know if they have a shuttle to the ship or not though.

You can also stay on The Strand in Galveston. There are a couple of historic hotels there and it is across the street from the ships. But not walking distance to the beach. There are many restaurants in that area that are easy to walk to.

I think one of the hotels is called The Tremont, but I might be remembering that incorrectly.

Good luck and have fun for me!

We are from California just booked 2nd cruise out of Galveston.We fly in to Hobby airport and use Cool tours Galveston for shuttle private reliable and reasonable. We stay at Gaidos seaside inn rooms start at about 100 per night 2 restaurants on site and walking distance to pleasure pier free breakfast. Cab to port about 17.00.Our trip went smooth and looking forward to this next 1

We are from California just booked 2nd cruise out of Galveston.We fly in to Hobby airport and use Cool tours Galveston for shuttle private reliable and reasonable. We stay at Gaidos seaside inn rooms start at about 100 per night 2 restaurants on site and walking distance to pleasure pier free breakfast. Cab to port about 17.00.Our trip went smooth and looking forward to this next 1

Actually, there are 3 restaurants at Gaido's. The Pelican Club is in the back at 3828 Ave T. Best happy hour in town, 4-7pm, Wednesday- Saturday. Casua dress.

You are also walking distance to The Spot at 31st and Seawall and Gumbo Diner next to the Commodore between 37th and 39th on Seawall.

All are good and have very different menus.

Enjoy!

Actually, there are 3 restaurants at Gaido's. The Pelican Club is in the back at 3828 Ave T. Best happy hour in town, 4-7pm, Wednesday- Saturday. Casua dress.

You are also walking distance to The Spot at 31st and Seawall and Gumbo Diner next to the Commodore between 37th and 39th on Seawall.

All are good and have very different menus.

Enjoy!

Thank you I want to try the Spot this time as well

We drove from Dallas to galveston and stayed at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort....booked well in advance and got it for around $100 on a Saturday night. It is right next to Landrys, and Rainforest Cafe and faces the beach. We walked to dinner (in pouring rain)

I went a year in advance and could not get that hotel, they wanted 300 and 2 night stay ( was able to do that a couple of years ago - I agree nice place) also ex-Coppell person.