Drury Inn and walking to the French Qtr

vjblk

Has anyone stayed in this hotel for a precruise or post cruise stay? I've booked here for a one night precruise stay and also for our 2 night post cruise stay in April(a Sunday and Monday night). It doesn't look far on the map and we're not adverse to walking but I was just wondering how the walk would be at night? It'll be just me and my sister and I've not been able to find anything that states how the surrounding area is at night. I know that common sense always comes into play but we don't want to feel uncomfortable on any walks back to the hotel after dark. Anyone have any experience in this area? I've been looking to see if I can find something closer to the French Quarter but right now I'm on overload with all of the choices.

Im female and I walked around alone at night, clear to that coffee place where everyone said I had to go. It seemed about as far away as you would want to go. I felt safe, but I do keep a hold of my purse tight. You can walk thru the qtr, but Brothers is good to eat at, and the closest to eat at .. even though Drury does have free finger food during their happy hour. Each person gets 3 drink coupons .. but soda is free.

Here's a route that will keep you on well-traveled streets.

When you leave the hotel, take a right on Poydras Street. Go about five blocks to Tchoupitoulas Street and take a left. Go four blocks and you will cross Canal Street. about two blocks down Tchoupitoulas turns into Decatur Street, the eastern edge of the Quarter.

That's also where most of the French Quarter music stages are located. You can find a map of the stages at:

http://www.fqfi.com

Walking around in the daytime is no problem, but some of the streets in the CBD are very quiet and a little spooky at night, but safe.

Here's a route that will keep you on well-traveled streets.

When you leave the hotel, take a right on Poydras Street. Go about five blocks to Tchoupitoulas Street and take a left. Go four blocks and you will cross Canal Street. about two blocks down Tchoupitoulas turns into Decatur Street, the eastern edge of the Quarter.

That's also where most of the French Quarter music stages are located. You can find a map of the stages at:

www.fqfi.com

Walking around in the daytime is no problem, but some of the streets in the CBD are very quiet and a little spooky at night, but safe.

Excellent!! Thank you so much! This sounds very doable for us! Is the music festival as large as Mardi Gras? The hotel prices are as high as when Mardi Gras is happening.

Wife and I stayed there last year. It was a great place. Excellent breakfast and manager's reception at night. We snacked the rest of the time. Walking to the Quarter took about 10-15 min. Not a bad walk at all and pretty safe. I work as a cop, so I was concerned as you were. Did not feel any bad vibes at all while there. Just be aware of your surroundings. Always saw other people on the streets even at night. If we go back someday, will stay there again.

Thanks jpmpuma and Big Nugget. Just the kind of info I was looking for. We're looking forward to our first visit to New Orleans and want to be able to walk around safely in the evenings. Again thanks. Valerie

We also stayed at the Drury pre-cruise in February 2009. We walked to the French Quarter and back. We left the hotel just before dusk (remember it was in February). We stopped at Deanie's for dinner and then walked around the FQ, stopping at several places along the way, ending up at Cafe DuMonde before walking back to the Drury.

Here is the map I used:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=820+Poydras+St,+New+Orleans,+LA+70112&daddr=841+Iberville+St,+New+Orleans,+LA+70112+to:640+Bourbon+St,+New+Orleans,+LA+70130+to:726+St+Peter+St,+New+Orleans,+LA+70116+to:800+Decatur+St,+New+Orleans,+LA+70116+to:820+Poydras+St,+New+Orleans,+LA+70112&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=29.954154,-90.067077&sspn=0.009073,0.013733&ie=UTF8&z=15

We stayed there last June and will be staying there again this June. Very good choice. The hotel is on a corner, walked out the front door, took a right to the corner, crossed the street (it would be like walking out the front door and going straight across the street, but the door is really on the side) anyway we walked straight down that street into the area where all the parades and partying was going on (maybe three blocks, very short walk). Between the hotel and that area it is a little dark, but not scarry:eek:

The French Quarter Festival has gotten to be huge. Something like Mardi Gras, but all in the French Quarter and just a few costumes. The stages on the riverfront are packed, as is Jackson Square. Not so crowded on Royal Street or around the Old US Mint.

Hotels are not too hard to book, since the festival is geared to locals.

It is expanding to four days this year: April 7 to April 10.

A well-kept secret: the bathrooms in the IMAX theatre next to the Aquarium Of The Americas are clean and seldom crowded.

• 1 month later...

We stayed at the Drury Inn last fall. Loved it! We walked to the French Quarter during the day. At night we took the trolley. There is a stop located right across the street from Harrah's, just down the street from Drury. It was really cheap and well worth the price. We took it to the French Quarter and back. Do ask what time the last run is tho. We just lucked out and got on the last one for the night.

• 2 weeks later...

We had 3 couples pre-cruise in March '09. About 5 blocks from the hotel to Canal St. Did not feel uncomfortable returning after dark at all, but the walk, while relatively short, is through a semi-business type area without a lot of other people around. 2+ couples pretty comfortable, 1 couple or a single, I'd recommend a taxi or streetcar from Canal St. My DW reminds me that safety is primary when away from home.

Archived