Amawaterways refurbishment programme

harbourside

i an looking at doing France,Seine and Rhone in 2016. The ships used are AmaDagio 2006 and AmaLegro 2007. I have only been on their new ships AmaReina and will be going on the new AmaDara this year.

Apart from adding the Erlebris restaurant, have these ships been renovated in any way. They must be getting tired looking by now.

I was going to book Avalon because they have put on new ships, ( they do not seem to keep ships over 7 to eight years ), but the included tours are a lot better on APT/Amawaterways, plus it is all inclusive under the APT banner for New Zealanders and Australians.

I have read conflicting reports for the AmaDagio, one saying it looked fine, other saying it was past its use by date. At 10 years old in 2016 I would hope that it under goes a complete refurbishment like Uniworld seems to do with their older ships.

i an looking at doing France,Seine and Rhone in 2016. The ships used are AmaDagio 2006 and AmaLegro 2007. I have only been on their new ships AmaReina and will be going on the new AmaDara this year.

Apart from adding the Erlebris restaurant, have these ships been renovated in any way. They must be getting tired looking by now.

I was going to book Avalon because they have put on new ships, ( they do not seem to keep ships over 7 to eight years ), but the included tours are a lot better on APT/Amawaterways, plus it is all inclusive under the APT banner for New Zealanders and Australians.

I have read conflicting reports for the AmaDagio, one saying it looked fine, other saying it was past its use by date. At 10 years old in 2016 I would hope that it under goes a complete refurbishment like Uniworld seems to do with their older ships.

Hello Harbourside,

I just booked the Rhone on the AmaDagio for 2016. Its a surprise for my husband-I always book the vacations then tell him- he never believes me until we depart from JFK :)

Anyway..I too have read the various reviews of this vessel. The reviews were mainly positive so I not extremely worried. I've started a roll call for the 8-8-2016 Rhone wine cruise- hope you and your will join us.

Carole

Hi Carole-Lee,

We will be sailing with APT which is part owner of AmaWaterways and certain dates are only sold by APT.

We were very impressed with our first trip and looking forward to Vietnam and Cambodia this year. As we live in New Zealand a 13 hr flight is a lot better than 23-25 hours. Hopefully by next year my husband will have forgotten the long flight to Europe last year.

Have a great trip.

We were on the AmaDagio in November and I had similar concerns. Having being on the gorgeous AmaCerto I wondered how it would stack up.

The AmaDagio was beautifully maintained and did not look her age at all. We liked it more than the newer AmaBella.

The staff and crew were 2nd to none - EXCEPTIONAL.

If you want more details, I posted a detailed review on CC.

I would go back on AmaDagio without hesitation.

The AmaReina was our least favorite of our AMA cruises.

I sailed Amaprima in 2013 then, in 2014, sailed Amalegro and Amadagio back-to-back. I had similar concerns regarding their age but honestly could not tell the difference in how well they were maintained. Exact same commitment to the passenger experience and a more intimate feel due to fewer pax.

Unlike ocean cruise ships which operate all year and get a short dry dock every few years, river cruise ships are laid up every winter and so get freshened annually. Thankfully the low bridges prevent the cruise lines from "improving" the boats by adding more decks (and more passengers to crowd the public space) -- the freshening is simply bringing the boat back to like-new condition. As long as the deck plan shows all the features you are looking for, it's safe to assume that any ship on the major lines does not show its age. We sailed on AMAcello (built 2008) in 2013 and it could have been brand new.

Thanks for all your replies. I will now look forward to my 18 night trip.

Seine river , Rhone river and three nights in Barcelona. Have Vietnam and Cambodia to look forward to in December and this May we are going on Trafalgars Route 66. This is for my husband to keep him sweet while I am busy planning all my river cruises. It is a long time since we have done this kind of trip, as I now prefer unpacking once on a River cruise.

Unlike ocean cruise ships which operate all year and get a short dry dock every few years, river cruise ships are laid up every winter and so get freshened annually. Thankfully the low bridges prevent the cruise lines from "improving" the boats by adding more decks (and more passengers to crowd the public space) -- the freshening is simply bringing the boat back to like-new condition. As long as the deck plan shows all the features you are looking for, it's safe to assume that any ship on the major lines does not show its age. We sailed on AMAcello (built 2008) in 2013 and it could have been brand new.

Excellent point, Jazzbeau! I also imagine that unlike ocean cruises, since a river ship is essentially always in port, little problems get tended to quickly, and there is time to address them as they arise! Also, let's face it there is a big difference in wear and tear from 2 or 3 or 5 thousand passengers a week vs 120-150!

• 2 weeks later...
I have just booked my France trip for 2016. 18 days Paris to Barcelona.

The Ama Dagio for the Rhone section, has been changed to the AmaCello. Maybe the AmaDagio has been retired.

Hi,

We are on the Dagio 8-8-16 (Barcelona start). Which cruise are you on? Wonder if anypne else has any info?

Carole

I have since found out that APT (which is Partner to Amawaterways), will have two ships in France on the Rhone. It seems that AmaCello will be used for APT departures.

My departure is 22nd July for Seine and 29th July-6th August for Rhone , then on to Barcelona.

Edited by harbourside

I have since found out that APT (which is Partner to Amawaterways), will have two ships in France on the Rhone. It seems that AmaCello will be used for APT departures.

My departure is 22nd July for Seine and 29th July-6th August for Rhone , then on to Barcelona.

Ok- I was getting excited looking at Cello's deck plans. Anyway...have a wonderful trip- pls post about as we can use all the information, tips etc we can get.

I've started a roll call for my cruise-so far no one has responded-guess DH & I will have a

totally private river yacht :)

Have a good week-end

Carole

I meant to say that Amawaterways will have 1 ship AmaDagio and APT will have AmaCello.

I meant to say that Amawaterways will have 1 ship AmaDagio and APT will have AmaCello.

AmaCello and AmaDagio are identical sister ships. On AMA's website there is one deck plan for both (3 actually, including AmaLegro).