What I liked about Viking Oceans on recent Viking Sea cruise

tvmovielover

Since 2010, we have taken 2 RCL cruises, 2 Oceania cruises and now Viking Oceans "Secrets of the Southern Med" cruise. We enjoyed all and each had pros and cons. We still chose cruises by itinerary and price. Someday I do hope to take one for luxury but happy with the value cruises so far. Yes, Oceania and Viking are more upscale than RCL but RCL cruisers had more fun for their money than some Oceania and Viking cruisers. The other thing I have to say is that cruises will never be my first choice for Europe-not enough time in port. I love them for beach destinations and for transatlantic (I hope to convince DH lots of sea days will be worth that one of these days).

Anyway, I liked everything about the Viking Sea and as it sounds like all the ships are the same, I would happily take any of them for the right itinerary. We being really fond of value (cheap if you want) took the lowest category cabin. This beats most other ships because even the lowest category cabins have balconies. Since we cruised in January (end of the month), we used it less than sometimes but more than I thought we would as we lucked out on weather. I have no idea if some cabins have bigger balconies but there was all the room we want for sitting and looking out with a nice drink. The bed was comfortable, the space big enough for the time we spent there (prefer the other ship spaces if awake), and the small number of drawers a minor inconvenience for us for a 7 day cruise. The bathrooms are plenty big enough (especially the showers if you are a bargain traveler) and the warm floors nice in January.

As many have said, there are quiet nooks and crannies all over the ship. I like the white and quiet blue decor and the great art work. The theater was relatively comfortable with blankets and tables and the atrium featured good music day and night. There are some shops but no art work, photographers etc.

Food was plentiful and available most hours of the day once you figured out the schedules. I ate several breakfasts (early do not know if it was as nice later) and lunch in Momsens and enjoyed the Scandinavian tastes (thin good waffles, open faced sandwiches but good soup and oatmeal too) which was peaceful. We did not enjoy our Scandinavian Chef's Table meal (agree with those who say to give up that concept and make it French or something). I went up to Momsens and got a cold cuts plate because I was still hungry. DH went one afternoon and got an open faced sandwich to tide him over until dinner. We liked what we had at Manfredis (good mussels and fish of the day) but did not work hard enough to get more reservations there. DH liked the Restaurant because he likes dinner slow, I liked it ok but Oceania is better for that aside from the wine-ok though not great but after all free. The World cafe is ok for lunch, dinner not our first choice. We only had breakfast or lunch at the Restaurant on debarkation day. It was good if you were killing time for a late departure and actually a good breakfast. We went once to tea late. Go when it starts if you want to be sure of a seat. We got some scones and tea late but seating was not good. We did not send for food in the room. Oceania has better special restaurants and bread but I would not chose it over Viking based on the food. Viking Oceans is a step above Viking Rivers but both are good.

The excursions are not perfect yet. We always loved the Viking River included excursions but they do not work as well on ocean cruises where you are not close to where the walks begin. They may have to ditch them eventually but have some other things that will replace them on ocean cruises. The included and extra excursions were a necessity in Tunis and Algiers where efforts to revive the tourist industries involve extra security at the moment. Both are great ports but Algiers requires expensive visas to tour on your own so use ship tours. You can tour on your own in Tunis but do not be surprised at the amount of security around your taxi (we did this with no problem). The ports on this cruise were great. Sardinia did not have a long enough stop to enjoy all there is to see (it would be great if they stay longer in the future). In Valencia, there is a free shuttle all day after your included tour (very good) but it is not well marked, just keep walking past where you see the blue dome across the bridge until you see somebody with a red scarf.

We are not that big on entertainment and it was okay for the shows but not better than other lines. We did enjoy their ABBA show. There was a great art woman art historian who gave 2 very good lectures and also a marine biologist who did a good job. The best show was on the last night when they introduced crew members from all parts of the ship and cruise director Heather sang for us (we missed her show). This might be something to replace some of the included excursions. I took a cooking class on the sea day. We did prep and then ate what the chef cooked in the demo. The price was similar to others I have taken (both on RCL and Oceania). I would do this again. The facility is very nice.

We did our own trip to Civitivecchia from Rome as we went ahead of time. It is easy to take a train from Rome. You can then take a bus for a few euro to a point where you catch a bus to the ship. Embarkation was pretty straight forward and our luggage was taken from next to the bus and appeared in our room fairly fast (we spent the day touring so arrived well after 2 pm). Debarkation was also easy. Even if using your own transport, you can set your luggage out at 10 pm and pick it up as you exit the terminal (that was convenient). Taxis and shuttles are easy to find.

Lastly, each floor has a good laundry room with three washers and dryers so we did not send laundry out and they have the soap they want used there to add to the machines. I am actively looking for a cruise somewhere we have not already been because I enjoyed the ship itself so much. They did a very nice meet and greet for cc members. Try Viking Oceans to see if you like it.

Thank you for your review of Viking Ocean cruise. Glad you like the guest lectures . I would have too.Having only sailed on Celebrity I am so looking forward to the self laundry on my upcoming 14 day cruise. I have spent lots of money for laundry serivce on my Celebrity cruises.

We are on Viking Sea at the moment but doing the Romantic Med cruise. We have a Penthouse Veranda (a splendid upgrade from Viking) but unfortunately the weather is not quite suitable for sitting out on the Veranda.

We enjoyed The Chef's Table very much. Service, food, wine and even the wine tumblers were not so bad!! (Prefer stemmed glassware).

The ship is very attractive. Beautiful colours, lovely art works. Lots of different places to be on board. Never crowded. Lots of different places to eat. But as the OP says you have to work it out. We like the hot floor in the bathroom and the large shower, and the taps, but the way most people talk about the size of the bathroom I was expecting something more spacious.

The food is good, but IMO it is better on Oceania. The best show was La Perigrina. Service is exemplary but so it is on Oceania and Seabourn.