discount hawaii car rental question

fayerussell

Hello! We are going to Hawaii in March and I am thinking about using the discount hawaii car rental this time. Last trip we used Thrifty and since we are blue chip members it worked out great as we were able to get in a much shorter line than everyone else when picking up our car. Anyone who has used discount, are you still able to do that? Meaning if I use discount and get Avis, can I use my membership and get in the short line? Just wondering. thanks!!

Hello! We are going to Hawaii in March and I am thinking about using the discount hawaii car rental this time. Last trip we used Thrifty and since we are blue chip members it worked out great as we were able to get in a much shorter line than everyone else when picking up our car. Anyone who has used discount, are you still able to do that? Meaning if I use discount and get Avis, can I use my membership and get in the short line? Just wondering. thanks!!

Are you referring to this place? If so I would email them and ask. They give good discounts but we only have a gold card with Hertz and their rates are lousy in Hawaii. So we wait in line. :(

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

Are you referring to this place? If so I would email them and ask. They give good discounts but we only have a gold card with Hertz and their rates are lousy in Hawaii. So we wait in line. :(

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

It only takes about 2 minutes to sign up on line for any agency loyalty card. No need to ever wait in the longer lines.

I forgot to tell you all about one step: if there is no place to enter your loyalty card number on the Discount Hawaii website, you will need to pull up the reservation for each car rental agency (Thrifty, Avis, etc) and add the card number at that point. Or you can call the 800 number for the car rental agency and have the customer service person do this.

Also, don't forget that you will want to rent from Thrifty/Dollar at the King Kam hotel in Kona. This is right across the street from where the tender drops you off. Most of the other agencies are much farther away. It is a little more expensive, but way quicker.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, we used DHCR and our rental company memberships were honored, no problem. We went with Budget in all of the ports except for Honolulu, where we used Thrifty. Every single location was fairly quick and easy!

• 3 weeks later...
I forgot to tell you all about one step: if there is no place to enter your loyalty card number on the Discount Hawaii website, you will need to pull up the reservation for each car rental agency (Thrifty, Avis, etc) and add the card number at that point. Or you can call the 800 number for the car rental agency and have the customer service person do this.

Also, don't forget that you will want to rent from Thrifty/Dollar at the King Kam hotel in Kona. This is right across the street from where the tender drops you off. Most of the other agencies are much farther away. It is a little more expensive, but way quicker.

Normally we rent from enterprise as it is the only one with a shuttle in Kona but we will be there on Sunday and it's closed. I looked at the rates at king Kam and they were 99.00 for a compact. Crazy high!

• 8 months later...

We used Discount Hawaii Car Rental on our Recent NCL Hawaii cruise (Aug 289 - Sep 5) and were VERY happy with their service and prices while setting up our rentals for multiple island ports. Our appreciation for their excellent service and professionalism was further enhanced when we arrived a the ship to find that, due to three hurricanes descending on the islands, our cruise would now counterclockwise and all of our reservation were ruined. It only took one very helpful phone call to their support desk to have all of our rentals re-worked and e-mail confirmations sent to us in less than 15 minutes! I HIGHLY recommend this firm if you are looking for low cost but high quality rentals with GREAT service even in emergencies!

Normally we rent from enterprise as it is the only one with a shuttle in Kona but we will be there on Sunday and it's closed. I looked at the rates at king Kam and they were 99.00 for a compact. Crazy high!

I say so what? :) To me, "costs" are far more than money. :) My time is far more valuable. I find having a car rental with this convenient pick up area- well worth it to me, for all the excellent transportation it offers me, allowing me a full day of touring.

I rented from Dollar through Discount Hawaii and pulled up my reservation and "modified" to add my loyalty card number.

The Dollar at King Kam ($47) was less than $10 difference from the airport location so that's what I did. I'll gladly pay for the ease and a head start on the rest of the ship.

Rental prices seem to change regularily up or down so it's best to keep checking the sites. I've booked, rebooked and cancelled at least once on a couple of the ports already. Saved $30 in Maui and got better vehicles at some of the ports.

Edited by lamchops