Helicopter Hawaii tours

deandaniell

Hi guys. I am new here and am looking forward to a couple of cruises in the next year. :D

Hawaii is scheduled on April 12th leaving from LA and returning to Vancover on the 28th.

I would like to know if it is worth taking a helicopter excursion. There are two ports where we can take one. It is really expensive IMO, and I was wondering if anyone here had taken a tour like this and if they thought it was worth the cost.

I would appreciate any comments on other MUST SEE excursions. :cool:

Edited by deandaniell

The heli tours that we've taken (Maui and Kauai) were well worth the cost. If Kauai is a choice for you, that's the one I would choose. We used Blue Hawaiian for both tours, on their EcoStar helicopters.

Without knowing what ports you are going to and what your interests are, it's difficult to recommend other "Must See/Do" excursions. Suggest reading through the list of choices offered by the cruise and see what looks interesting.

Hawaii is an easy place to explore on your own with a rental car (it's also an inexpensive way to explore). A guidebook might be of help - this one was recently recommended here. The latest edition is coming out later this month.

The heli tours that we've taken (Maui and Kauai) were well worth the cost. If Kauai is a choice for you, that's the one I would choose. We used Blue Hawaiian for both tours, on their EcoStar helicopters.

Without knowing what ports you are going to and what your interests are, it's difficult to recommend other "Must See/Do" excursions. Suggest reading through the list of choices offered by the cruise and see what looks interesting.

Hawaii is an easy place to explore on your own with a rental car (it's also an inexpensive way to explore). A guidebook might be of help - this one was recently recommended here. The latest edition is coming out later this month.

Thank you so much for your answer and your suggestions Susan. I can't wait. I have always wanted to go to Hawaii and my husband has finally agreed. He wanted to go to Alaska and we decided we would just do both! :p

Two great destinations to look forward to!

I didn't have a big desire to go to Hawaii until about 7 years ago and after that first trip it just about became an addiction - there is just so much about it that we love. We travel to other places, but Hawaii has become a favourite! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!:)

How funny, we did Alaska and Hawaii last year (after not going anywhere for 23 years prior to that :)). We also took Blue Hawaiian in Kauai. It was well worth the price. We had our kids with us and it was something we will never forget. My daughter and husband were in tears, they were so overwhelmed by the beauty of it. You won't regret it.

We were there in Dec and did a tour of the Big Island. All I can say is OMG !!! It was amazing. We also did the Ecostar Helicopter and it was amazing. We did the Big Island Spectacular and although it was a bit expensive, it was worth EVERY CENT !!! We saw Lava, a 360 degree rainbow, beautiful coastline and amazing waterfall in the Valley section of the island that you can see but in a Helicopter.

The difference between a plane and helicopter are clear on this tour. The chopper can turn 360 so all the people can see the sights, it can hover over something you want to see, and it can go into the valleys and go places a plane would would never dare to go. When he pulled up to the mountain and we hovered there and watched the water falling from 2500 ft...awesome !!!!

The difference between a plane and helicopter are clear on this tour. The chopper can turn 360 so all the people can see the sights, it can hover over something you want to see, and it can go into the valleys and go places a plane would would never dare to go. When he pulled up to the mountain and we hovered there and watched the water falling from 2500 ft...awesome !!!!

Interesting, our chopper pilots gave us the same tour as the plane. I guess we should have spoke up. One other advantage of the plane over the helicopter is everybody gets a window seat, you might get stuck in the middle on the helicopter, especially if you are the heavier person of the group because of weight and balance. I got better pictures on the plane because I could place the cameria closer to the window.

Burt

the heli tours that we've taken (maui and kauai) were well worth the cost. If kauai is a choice for you, that's the one i would choose. We used blue hawaiian for both tours, on their ecostar helicopters.

Without knowing what ports you are going to and what your interests are, it's difficult to recommend other "must see/do" excursions. Suggest reading through the list of choices offered by the cruise and see what looks interesting.

did you book online and did they pick you up at the port or did you need to have your own transportation to their facility? Thanks, i am looking to book them for jan2015. How far ahead did you book?

did you book online and did they pick you up at the port or did you need to have your own transportation to their facility? Thanks, i am looking to book them for jan2015. How far ahead did you book?

We did the heli tours on land trips so we had a rental car to get there. On Kauai, the heliport in Lihue is close to the cruise port. Same with Maui (if your ship is in Kahului). I don't think it's 'walking distance' close, but a short cab ride.

Just to add to the comments re plane vs. helicopter ... I've done both and feel that there is quite a difference. For views, I would give the helicopter top marks, especially if it's an eco star. Even in the middle back seat of an eco star, you get good views in front and both sides. The front view on a plane is almost nil, and views to the opposite side are limited. Nor can you hover, move up and down and turn on a dime the way a helicopter does. But either way ... it's great to do an air tour!

Just came back from Hawaii and did a helicopter tour in Kauai with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters, and it was fantastic. It was worth every penny, and if you book directly with them online, it's cheaper than booking a ship's tour. I was a bit nervous as I've never flown in a helicopter, but it was a beautiful day, a smooth flight, and we saw amazing views of Kauai. I don't think you'll regret booking a helicopter tour. It was the highlight of our cruise, and I would do another one in a minute.