Iguazu falls

lovespositano

There are flights from Buenos Aires into the IGR airport on the Argentine side of the falls.

There are flight from São Paulo or Rio (with TAM and GOL) to the IGU airport on the Brazilian side of the falls.

You can book online.

There are lots of hotel choices in both Foz do Iguacu, Brazil and Puerto Iguazu, Argentina, including the Cataratas and the Sheraton in the park. Book with booking.com or other site.

It's quite easy and safe to get around the area by inexpensive taxi or local public bus.

Remember that you (if US, Can. or some other passports) need a visa for Brazil, purchased well in advance at home, and the Argentine reciprocity fee paid online, whose printed receipt you carry with you.

Do remember to stop at both the Brazil and Argentina border stations when crossing the border in both directions by bus or taxi, to have your passport/visa/reciprocity checked and stamped.

Each side of the park offers different views and experiences, so you should see both, as well as the Bird Park, boat ride under the falls, and perhaps other sights/activities. You should plan for about three days, two nights, of which perhaps two half days would be travel in/out.

Enjoy.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

I agree with everything Vida has said. We did find that booking with a tour company eliminated any concerns. We were met at the airport in Brazil, taken for a tour of the Brazilian side and then deposited at our hotel in Argentina. The next morning we toured the Argentinian side then the boat ride and again back to our hotel. The third day picked up at the hotel and taken back to Brazil for our flight back to Rio and went home that night. A guide certainly enhanced our experience and we had the benefit of private tours.

The costs vary, only you can evaluate the value of each of the options.

Enjoy

sitraveler-- I can understand that a tour has a high convenience factor, for which one pays an often considerable cost, and a peace of mind factor for those tourists unsure of their skills at getting around in a new location, but just for my own information, can you amplify on the enhancement of the experience at the falls that your guide provided? Your perspective makes me wonder if I missed out on something important just wandering around on my own, that I should be regretting.

I agree with everything Vida has said. We did find that booking with a tour company eliminated any concerns. We were met at the airport in Brazil, taken for a tour of the Brazilian side and then deposited at our hotel in Argentina. The next morning we toured the Argentinian side then the boat ride and again back to our hotel. The third day picked up at the hotel and taken back to Brazil for our flight back to Rio and went home that night. A guide certainly enhanced our experience and we had the benefit of private tours.

Enjoy

Thanks for your response. Could you tell ,e which tour company you used?

Thanks!!:)

I hesitate to recommend a tour company, we used South American Travel out of Seattle after a referral from a cruiser we trust. We had private guide, a driver and stayed in the park.

I had other quotes, both much higher and much lower but really felt it was worth the expense.

The benefit of the private guide was more in the appreciation of what we were seeing. I'm sure almost everyone gets to see the same sights. I must admit the hotel visit by the troop of monkeys the second evening was by far the most memorable aspect, they climbed up and ran around the rear of the hotel for over 1 hour.

Edited by sitraveler

OK, didn't want to break any rules

Sabrina Brazil Travel

She is in Los Angeles, but originally from brazil. She foud us a resort about 10 minutes from the park, a tour Guide, who arranged the Entry tickets, and luinch, and gave us a ride back to the AIrport

In addition, she found us good air fares from Atlanta to Sao Paulo to Iguazu, and from Santiago back to Atlanta

As I said, I was very satisfied with her services

• 1 month later...

Enjoy

Could you tell me which hotel you stayed at, where you had the monkeys visit? Sounds intriguing!!

Thanks to everyone for your information.

Could you tell me which hotel you stayed at, where you had the monkeys visit? Sounds intriguing!!

Thanks to everyone for your information.

Monkeys are pretty ubiquitous in Brazil, especially outside (or even on the fringes of) urban areas.

The outskirts of Foz do Iguacu and Puerto Iguazu are pretty rural. Any of the hotels (many of them "resorts" with a "km" number in their address or on "Av de Cataratas") between the town of Foz and the Brazil park entrance might have the possibility of seeing monkeys on the grounds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would love to go to Iquazo Falls but am afraid I don't have enough time to do it justice. I was originally considering flying up in the morning, spending the day on the Argentine side and flying back to Buenos Aires the same night. Can be done logistically but seems too rushed and probably a bad idea. I am hoping we can squeeze at least 2 days pre-cruise.

I-G-U-A-Z-U ( in Spanish of Argentina)

I-G-U-A-C-U (in Portuguese of Brazil)

----------------------------------------

IMO, one should plan at least two full days to see all the "basics" (park on both Argentine side and Brazilian side, Bird Park in Brazil, boat ride under the falls from either side) and maybe more for some options like the dam or the Bertoni Museum or a heli ride or relaxing at a local resort or even looking around in Foz do Iguacu or Puerto Iguazu or Ciudade del Este.

Remember that holders of certain apssports need a visa for Brazil, as well as paying the reciprocity fee for Argentina.

Ooops...everytime I spell it, I spell it differently and usually incorrectly! I hope all of you who can manage the trip to Iguazo really enjoy it. I think I may have to take another trip to South America to make my way there.

You have almost got the spelling. All you need to do is drop the O and use an U It's Iguazu (Spanish) not Iguazo You will probably get it right before you make it to the falls, but even if you don't you will have a spectacular time! Blessings.

You will probably get it right before you make it to the falls, but even if you don't you will have a spectacular time!

And then...... on.....to Kerepakupai Vená. Or Gahnawehta. Or Mosi-oa-Tunya.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

We are planning a pre cruise trip up to Iguazu Falls. We will be in Buenos Aires the end of Jan. 2016. We arrive on a Monday afternoon, and plan to stay 2 nights in BA, then on Wed. morning, plan to fly to Iguazu (Argentine side) and stay 2 nights. We did not want to pay the high cost of staying at the Sheraton in the park. Can anyone recommend a mid-range hotel near the falls? We then plan to fly back to BA on Friday afternoon. We are thinking this will give us plenty of time to see the falls on both sides.

I am not an expert having never been, but as you can tell from my earlier posts on this thread I've done a fair amount of investigating trying to figure out how to get there! And, as of last night, we will be spending 2 nites pre-cruise in Iguazu as well. The Sheraton is way over my price range. I managed to snag what I think is a very good deal at the Panoramic Hotel. Mostly the rooms are well over $300 but through the trip advisor site, I got one for under $200. It might be a double bed which we are ok with but might not work if you prefer larger. Includes breakfast as well and has great reviews. Hope it's ok to post this! The Loi Suites is recommended on TA quite a bit but a refundable rate is around $350. I find Trip Advisor is sometimes a better resource for the land portions of cruises. Good luck!

I am not an expert having never been, but as you can tell from my earlier posts on this thread I've done a fair amount of investigating trying to figure out how to get there! And, as of last night, we will be spending 2 nites pre-cruise in Iguazu as well. The Sheraton is way over my price range. I managed to snag what I think is a very good deal at the Panoramic Hotel. Mostly the rooms are well over $300 but through the trip advisor site, I got one for under $200. It might be a double bed which we are ok with but might not work if you prefer larger. Includes breakfast as well and has great reviews. Hope it's ok to post this! The Loi Suites is recommended on TA quite a bit but a refundable rate is around $350. I find Trip Advisor is sometimes a better resource for the land portions of cruises. Good luck!

Note: I have stayed in Foz do Iguacu, Brazil, not Puerto Iguazu, Argentina, but I suspect that "comfortable" in this area of the world (the falls) might start at about U$100/nite.

One example I can offer would be this property which I know in Foz do Iguacu.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/br/del-rey.en-us.html?aid=330632;label=msn-_XTxLrhwlGIdEHdQL8JtTQ-5361930391;sid=d1a8ca045b38363c8b47932d7132601a;dcid=1;checkin=2016-01-23;checkout=2016-01-24;ucfs=1;srfid=96c426395a3599e132b7d6db912d52897f363af2X1;highlight_room=1287307

Most all hotels, pousadas, and even hostels in Brazil include breakfast. It seems to be the custom in Argentina as well.

We are planning a pre cruise trip up to Iguazu Falls. We will be in Buenos Aires the end of Jan. 2016. We arrive on a Monday afternoon, and plan to stay 2 nights in BA, then on Wed. morning, plan to fly to Iguazu (Argentine side) and stay 2 nights. We did not want to pay the high cost of staying at the Sheraton in the park. Can anyone recommend a mid-range hotel near the falls? We then plan to fly back to BA on Friday afternoon. We are thinking this will give us plenty of time to see the falls on both sides.

Hi,

We spent one night on the Argentine side in Puerto Iguazu (due to time restrictions) and stayed at the Boutique Hotel de la Fonte

which I highly recommend. They arranged our pick-up at the airport, our driver to both sides of the falls, and back to the airport. It was perfect for us. The hotel is charming and the restaurant is excellent!

Very clean and comfortable hotel in Puerto Iguazu. Rates were very good. We booked through 01Argentina travel agency which gave us some great group rates. $900 for a three day, two night trip including room at the HSG and tours.