Celiac/Gluten free on Azamara Journey

LionLauren

Hello fellow cruisers,

I am so excited for our Honeymoon cruise on the Azamara Journey this summer. This will be my first time on Azamara (!!), but more importantly, my first time on any cruise/large vacation since being diagnosed with celiac 6 months ago and having to follow a strict gluten free diet. I know I need to alert the cruise line well in advance; any other tips or experiences from fellow gf cruisers? We are big foodies so hope to enjoy specialty restaurants, chef's table, and casual dining in addition to MDR.

We will be spending a couple days in Athens prior to departure, and several days back in Santorini post-cruise, so tips for those destinations appreciated as well.

Many thanks,

Lauren

long time lurker/first time poster

I just returned from an Azamara cruise and had dinner most nights with two people who ate gluten-free meals. Neither notified Azamara in advance, but did ask questions if they had doubts about anything. (They were very experienced with this way of eating.) The waiters seemed to know the answers. At dinner, they will serve a gluten-free bread to those who ask. It looked like very dry toast, but those who got it said it was good. At breakfast, there are gluten-free muffins. I tried one and it tasted fine. Made with corn meal I think. The menus are extensive enough that I don't think you will have any problems.

On our last cruise the chef prepared different dishes for a lady who who a coeliac. They didn't do as well for me this time and this was not my usual experience on Azamara, I have a shellfish and capsicum allergy which as always I had prenotified using their special needs form. But I did eventually speak to the food and beverage manager and chef and things improved. You preorder every night for the following night. Do let them know in advance, your TA can do this and the Maitre D will ask to see you before the first meal.

You preorder every night for the following night. Do let them know in advance, your TA can do this and the Maitre D will ask to see you before the first meal.

Agree with this two-pronged approach and I'll add a third.

There is a form that your TA can acquire and that will list your concerns. I think it's important to fill it out.

Then, I would be proactive and attempt to see the Maitre D, if possible, soon after embarkation. There will be Headwaiters ( perhaps the wrong title) who can contact him while you have lunch. If the Headwaiter is unavailable, he will send someone to talk to you.

When in the MDR, we attempt to find a server who is committed to this issue. Experienced servers are actually very good at spotting potential issues and can be very helpful.

The next day's menu should be presented to you at dinner, usually by one of the officials in the MDR. If not offered, simply ask for it.

Thank you all for the advice. Glad to hear Azamara already has some gluten free baked goods in rotation (financiers, muffins, yum!) In addition to the advance notification, we will seek out the Maitre D upon arrival. Hopefully he/she will also be able to assist us with specialty restaurant reservations and alerting those venues.

thanks again!