Help Plan our Port Day in St. Croix

cessnabmw

We will be on the Carnival Sunshine in December (Journeys cruise) and have a day in St. Croix from 8am - 4pm.

2 Adults and 2 Kids (8 & 10)

We enjoy the beach, sight seeing, nature and food.

We have previously been to St. Kitts (rented a car and drove all around the island), St Maarten (rented a car and drove all around the island).

We are all physically able and want to make the most of the day here.

What would you suggest to do? Rent a car?

What places are a must see?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OP, did you read down the board at all? Maybe you can get some ideas on your own if people are not responding as fast as you would like.

Just my opinion, but as I read these port of call boards, very broad "help me plan" posts are not as well responded to, as information has been repeated often already, and vacation time is really a personal decision.

Now I also find that "which of these would you choose" or "anybody have an opinion on this" type questions are more likely to get an answer.

Plus, not many lines visit St Croix, and that may be another reason for silence.

There are plenty of discussions here about car rental, beaches, snorkeling, rum tour, shopping, sightseeing, restaurants, local transportation, self touring, and so on.

The St Croix Local postings are full of ideas, anything from that contributor Drake2014 will be helpful for your research.

We will be on the Carnival Sunshine in December (Journeys cruise) and have a day in St. Croix from 8am - 4pm.

2 Adults and 2 Kids (8 & 10)

We enjoy the beach, sight seeing, nature and food.

We have previously been to St. Kitts (rented a car and drove all around the island), St Maarten (rented a car and drove all around the island).

We are all physically able and want to make the most of the day here.

What would you suggest to do? Rent a car?

What places are a must see?

Thanks!

I briefly answered this on the Local thread but let me expand my answer a bit here.

Take a taxi from the ship to the Whim museum (even if they are closed) and roam around the grounds exploring with the kids, it is gorgeous there and I bet you all enjoy it.

If you are feeling hungry after roaming stop at the little Whim restaurant (just to the right of the parking lot if you are facing the road) for some decent snacks and drinks.

Back in the cab (either pre-arrange with the driver or have the restaurant call one) head to Freedom City Surf.

Enjoy the rest of the afternoon on the beach with a drink and the family or go paddle boarding / swimming / snorkeling right there.

I have a dozen other suggestions if you don't like these. Let me know.

I briefly answered this on the Local thread but let me expand my answer a bit here.

Take a taxi from the ship to the Whim museum (even if they are closed) and roam around the grounds exploring with the kids, it is gorgeous there and I bet you all enjoy it.

If you are feeling hungry after roaming stop at the little Whim restaurant (just to the right of the parking lot if you are facing the road) for some decent snacks and drinks.

Back in the cab (either pre-arrange with the driver or have the restaurant call one) head to Freedom City Surf.

Enjoy the rest of the afternoon on the beach with a drink and the family or go paddle boarding / swimming / snorkeling right there.

I have a dozen other suggestions if you don't like these. Let me know.

Drake,

I too will be in St Croix for a day in May on a RC cruise. I have never been to any of the ports, let alone St Croix.

I noticed that when I go to the Royal Caribbean site and log in, it doesn't show much for St Croix. From the pier, is there anywhere interesting to walk to? Beaches? Restaurants? Bars? Shopping?

I would be interested in hearing the best spots to snorkel right off the island on our own, without booking an excursion. I'm open to taking a cab or even renting a car for the day if this can be done for a reasonable price?

Any help is much appreciated :)

Thanks,

I did a post on my blog about renting a car for the day from Budget with plenty of pictures. It is a very easy island to drive with beautiful beaches. Hope this helps. Have a great time and enjoy the island.

http://winenchocolate.com/our-day-in-st-croix/

I read your blog post! GREAT info and very helpful. This might be a good option for me and the hubby. Quick question.....how far is Cruzan from the port? Would it be walking distance if we wanted to go there and then just check out the two beaches (Sandy Point and Rainbow) on foot?

If not walking, has anyone taken a cab there and back that could give me an estimate on price?

• 2 weeks later...
Drake,

I too will be in St Croix for a day in May on a RC cruise. I have never been to any of the ports, let alone St Croix.

I noticed that when I go to the Royal Caribbean site and log in, it doesn't show much for St Croix. From the pier, is there anywhere interesting to walk to? Beaches? Restaurants? Bars? Shopping?

I would be interested in hearing the best spots to snorkel right off the island on our own, without booking an excursion. I'm open to taking a cab or even renting a car for the day if this can be done for a reasonable price?

Any help is much appreciated :)

Thanks,

If you flip over to the "St. Croix Local" thread you may find more information but I'll try to help you here.

Near the pier you can walk to Fort Frederik, a half dozen beautiful beaches, Pier 69 (bar and restaurant), Blue Moon (Restaurant), Teres Veho/Freedom City (food, drinks, paddleboards, snorkeling), Polly's at the Pier (coffee and food), Scuboutiq and a few other little shops around Strand Square for shopping (You can ask at Polly's, they will help you).

Best snorkeling in my opinion is right off of Sandcastle, that's where I go. You can get a cab from the pier to Sandcastle pretty easy and cheap.