Hurrican Timing

goofy gopher

The above is currently showing a disturbance in the Atlantic with good chance of becoming a tropical cyclone within the week.

LuLu

Yep, it sure does. 93L. It's close to Tropical Depression status now but is struggling with high wind sheer. Here is what Dr. Jeff Masters at Weather Underground has to say right now about it. http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2740

Will be watching it as we leave August 9th on the Liberty headed south.

We live on the Gulf Coast of the FL Panhandle and were the lucky recipients of Hurricanes Ivan and Dennis. My husband is amateur weather and is watching this closely. He would actually be excited by cruising near it. :rolleyes: Keep our eye on it but not in a panic.

We've boarded up and evacuated twice (we are right on the Gulf) due to Hurricanes Ivan and Dennis (yes, lots of damage) and have ridden out several TS's. We knew the risks when planning this during hurricane season.

And I certainly don't want that thing ending up in the Gulf!

Yep, it sure does. 93L. It's close to Tropical Depression status now but is struggling with high wind sheer. Here is what Dr. Jeff Masters at Weather Underground has to say right now about it. http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2740

Will be watching it as we leave August 9th on the Liberty headed south.

We live on the Gulf Coast of the FL Panhandle and were the lucky recipients of Hurricanes Ivan and Dennis. My husband is amateur weather and is watching this closely. He would actually be excited by cruising near it. :rolleyes: Keep our eye on it but not in a panic.

We've boarded up and evacuated twice (we are right on the Gulf) due to Hurricanes Ivan and Dennis (yes, lots of damage) and have ridden out several TS's. We knew the risks when planning this during hurricane season.

And I certainly don't want that thing ending up in the Gulf!

Ivan was one heck of a storm, still have a slideshow of pictures in his wake. I am pretty sure that Florida was X'd by two successive hurricanes that year. Envy you being on the gulf hurricanes notwithstanding.

Since it is so hard to forecast the route would it not be better to not cruise during hurricane season?

Yes it would :). Especially for me, a retiree. But when you want to cruise with a certain group of people sometime you don't have a choice. After all not everyone is lucky enough to be retired, again :) (smiley face)!!

If you sail during hurricane season, the best advice I can give is to not be cruising for a specific port of call. If there is a storm during your sailing, the Captain will do everything he can to protect the guests. The most likely thing he will do his change course to be away from the storm. This will mean port of call changes (or even complete itinerary changes).

I have lived in central Florida for over 50 years. Quite honestly I hardly give hurricane season a second thought. If I stayed glued to the Weather Channel I would be ready to blow my brains out. I mean what am I going to do, put my life on hold and wring my hands and pull my hair out for six months out of the year.

We have a saying here in Florida,,,If you don't like the weather wait a half an hour. As I stated in another post I look at the weather underground web site once in a while to see what is going on and then I don't get all of the hype.

My hurricane plan is this. I insure the heck out of my home and its contents. Depending on what side of Florida the storm is approaching I will head to the other coast with my cats and find a pet friendly hotel.

As far as cruising during hurricane season I have every confidence Carnival and the rest of them have a good plan in place, I mean what are they going to do, shut down for six months out of the year.

On another note it really does grind my gears how excited all of the weather forecasters get when a storm pops up. The look like kids on Christmas morning. I guess that is the only time they get to play with all of their new toys. It has gotten so bad if somebody belches off the coast of Africa it makes the news.

I have lived in Central Florida for many years myself. I couldn't agree with you more!