Wharves will be repaired before cruise season starts

islegroove

• 3 weeks later...

We are on the Riviera - first cruise ship to go into Bermuda this season and as the Royal Gazette article says, we are scheduled to dock April 4 and we leave Sunday 5 April for Madeira. The date on the article says 2 March but I suppose that is incorrect since "islegroove" kindly posted the link on 2 Feb. So maybe the work has started. Or maybe not. In which case it will be hard for us to dock in Bermuda since I don't think the Riveria can pass through the "cut" that would allow us to dock in Hamilton... I really hope we don't have to tender though.

Just did some research. Apparently only one of the two wharves was seriously damaged and they can handle one ship at a time until the repairs to the other wharf are finished. Since we are the only cruise ship to be in Bermuda on 4-5 April we should be OK...hope so!

Just did some research. Apparently only one of the two wharves was seriously damaged and they can handle one ship at a time until the repairs to the other wharf are finished. Since we are the only cruise ship to be in Bermuda on 4-5 April we should be OK...hope so!

I was just about to post that they probably won't work on both at the same time so you should be fine. You can watch what is going on here. The camera changes from time to time so there should be some better angles at times.

http://portbermudawebcam.com/

I was just about to post that they probably won't work on both at the same time so you should be fine. You can watch what is going on here. The camera changes from time to time so there should be some better angles at times.

http://portbermudawebcam.com/

That is a GREAT webcam - thank you! Only problem is I looked at it right away (it is 0925 here in Switzerland) and forgot about the time difference. Of course it was pitch black in Bermuda!! Will check it again later.:)

It does sound though that they are working at night. If that is the case I do hope they won't be working Easter Saturday night when we will be trying to get some sleep at the Dockyard!!

Both sustained some damage during hurricane Gonzalo and Fay last October.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150207/NEWS/150209775

There has been a huge push in Bermuda to do something about the lagging tourism. My guess is that the cruise ships will be a priority. I'm heading to Bermuda on June 12th and I hope all is well by then.

There has been a huge push in Bermuda to do something about the lagging tourism. My guess is that the cruise ships will be a priority. I'm heading to Bermuda on June 12th and I hope all is well by then.

If you look at the web cam, it doesn't look like anything has been started yet.

How strange that even though I took a 7 day cruise to Bermuda on NCL leaving Boston on 10/31/14 and was not aware of the damage. I guess we see what we look for. I took the ferry to St George where I rode around on the Old Town Railway and everything there seemed in order also. I took the bus to Hamilton, and then the ferry back to the dock yard. Otherwise I just hung out in the dock yard. I must need new glasses. lol

Let me be the first to thank you for posting this. Over 350 views and not one thanks. Tough crowd on this board. :)

I just saw the post, and read the article! I haven't been reading the Gazette for a couple months.

I was viewing the port cam and noticed that the building was gone and cranes were there. So I came here to see how the repairs are going. I saw all the photos after the hurricane. I actually forgot about it.

That is a GREAT webcam - thank you! Only problem is I looked at it right away (it is 0925 here in Switzerland) and forgot about the time difference. Of course it was pitch black in Bermuda!! Will check it again later.:)

It does sound though that they are working at night. If that is the case I do hope they won't be working Easter Saturday night when we will be trying to get some sleep at the Dockyard!!

Hopefully you'll be able to dock! You may be moored out in the harbor! We'll be at Heritage...May 3rd.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the web cam it looks like the crane is sitting on King's Wharf. If that correct? We are scheduled to dock at Heritage Wharf on the Breakaway in late June. I assume, judging from the web cam that this dock wasn't severely damaged and is able to be used. However, when I looked at the Maritime schedule, the Celebrity Summit is scheduled to be at King's Wharf at the same time we are at Heritage Wharf. Hopefully, all repairs will be completed by then. For those of you who are going to be at the Dockyard in the next few months, please keep us posted on how repairs appear to be going. Thanks - and happy cruising to all my fellow travelers!:)