Carnival Excursions - La Romana, DR

HappyAboard

Has anyone done any of the Carnival excursions in La Romana? There just doesn't seem to be much information on what to do in this port. I have never been to the Dominican Republic, so I would like to do something, so I could see the area at least. A lot of the options don't seem to have the greatest reviews, so I am just wondering what people are recommending.

Has anyone done any of the Carnival excursions in La Romana? There just doesn't seem to be much information on what to do in this port. I have never been to the Dominican Republic, so I would like to do something, so I could see the area at least. A lot of the options don't seem to have the greatest reviews, so I am just wondering what people are recommending.

We did Carnival's Sail and Snorkle. Would give it a 1 out of 5...catamaran was old and in rough shape, they were not organized enough to have all the masks/fins onboard when we left the dock, they had another boat meet up with us and drop them off...life vests were old and smelled. I should have just stayed on board the ship.

We were there in November, our first time. Booked a ship excursion to Catalina Island. I think it was $70/pp and was a 4-1/2 hr excursion. It involved taking a bus ride to the "ferry" then over to Catalina Island. The "ferry" was pretty old looking and waters were choppy that day - quite a rocky 40 minute ride over to Catalina. Catalina Island was gorgeous. One of the nicest beaches we have ever been to in fact. There is a small beach bar there and a few huts that sell local wares. Note: Nothing (and I mean nothing) to eat there. Really a shame because it looked like they had the set-up to sell food, but they didn't.

The beach alone was worth the trip, although we weren't there two hours and they were herding us back onto the ferries for the choppy ride back to the ship.

CatalinaIsland5.jpg

It's not a Carnival sponsored excursion. But 2 years ago when we visitied La Romana on the Carnival Freedom, we signed up for the Carnival Samoa special with a private excursion company named Seavis Tours. We've been on 10 Carnival cruises and always like the piece of mind in booking those Carnival excursions. However this time due to all the great reviews we took a chance and went with Seavis Tours. Far and away the best excursion we've ever done. From the speedboat ride out to Samoa island, the lunch, and the starfish beds on the way back. Highly recomended.

It's not a Carnival sponsored excursion. But 2 years ago when we visitied La Romana on the Carnival Freedom, we signed up for the Carnival Samoa special with a private excursion company named Seavis Tours. We've been on 10 Carnival cruises and always like the piece of mind in booking those Carnival excursions. However this time due to all the great reviews we took a chance and went with Seavis Tours. Far and away the best excursion we've ever done. From the speedboat ride out to Samoa island, the lunch, and the starfish beds on the way back. Highly recomended.

I think this is what we are going to end up doing this summer on the Carnival Freedom. have read good reviews

Check Seavis Tours and their Saona Island Special. Much better than the Carnival excursion and what a great staff! Beautiful day on the water, an island, amd a sandbar and a fab lunch! Seavis works with the Carnivalschedule so no worries there.

Some people just get a day pass at Dreams but what a waste, the area is beautiful with the nat'l park and islands. We're returning to spend a couple weeks in Bayahibe where the excursions depart from amd where Dreams is and look forward to taking more of the Seavis it pro excursion tours. Just a naturally beautiful area.

Edited by blue_water

Went on the country side experience excursion. Was debating about doing the cave excursion but will do that the next time I go to LaRomana.

How was the country side experience? Would you recommend it? I am considering that one.

I also checked out the Seavis tour, I would pick that if I wasn't taking my kids, but one of my children would not have the stamina for it.

How was the country side experience? Would you recommend it? I am considering that one.

I also checked out the Seavis tour, I would pick that if I wasn't taking my kids, but one of my children would not have the stamina for it.

I would recommend it. You get to see life for the people outside of LaRomana. Stops include going to a nursery to see plants that are turned into stuff(e.g cinnanon, etc.), a sugar cane field, a Papito house, & a souviner shop. While at the Papito house, you get to sample fruit & coffee made in the Dominician Republic(The coffee was the best I ever had.) & see how cigars are made. The guides are informative about life there.

• 1 month later...

I am back from my cruise and did the Countryside Experience. I am glad we did it. Loved driving through the streets of La Romana in the open air bus. You did really get to see how people live. I was bored with the stop at the nursery, but the people from each bus followed the guide for their bus around the nursery, and many seemed to have good guides, but ours admitted that he does not usually go on that particular tour, and he did not seem to no much about any of the plants and just kept telling us to wander around and take pictures. It was no different than visiting a nursery at home (rows of plants, nothing really to do). It would have been okay if we were learning about them. It seemed not well organized at the stops, but I believe it was just our guide. Even with the guide we had I would do the tour again, but would hope for a better guide of course. We stopped for sugar cane and rum and/or pop in a field. The fruit was good at the Papito's house, but nothing unusual. Papito's house seemed more like a stop to sell you things like cocoa, coffee, cigars, and carvings. No pressure though, and still a nice stop. There was a guy rolling and handing out free cigars as he rolled them. There was a fire with cocoa roasting on it, but they weren't really doing anything with the cocoa. Our guide passed us a couple of beans to taste. It was interesting to see some of the countryside communities near the Papito's house. There were kids in school uniforms with no shoes happy and waving and running after the buses. We also stopped at a building with a market inside that seemed to exist solely for the bus loads of tourists. Nothing great but a chance to buy some souvenirs or you wanted. I love to see how people live in other countries, so this tour was great. You get to see the country, the city and the highway in between. Our kids are tweens and teens and they enjoyed the tour as well, and all want to go back to the Domincan Republic again even for a land vacation.

Many of the best excursions here are ones offered by small local operators. These require advance booking via online (deposit is not always even necessary) and they are not sold by Carnival.

They are all used to catering to cruise ship passengers so getting back to your ship on time will not be an issue.

You can read their reviews on Trip Advisor on the following link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g663484-Activities-c25-Bayahibe_La_Altagracia_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

Seavis Tours (Saona Island and Jungle River tours)

http://www.seavisbayahibe.com/shoreexcursion_e.htm

https://www.facebook.com/SeavisTours

BayahibeSUP (Paddle Boarding SURFaris)

http://bayahibesup.com/guided-tours/paddle-board-surfari

https://www.facebook.com/bayahibesup

Bayahibe Fishing Centre (Saona Island tours, Rio Chavon tours and also fishing trips)

http://www.bayahibefishingcentre.com

https://www.facebook.com/bayahibe.fishingcentre

La Flor Cigar Factory Tours

http://www.cigarcountrytours.com/en/cigar-factory-tour.html

Wild Ranch Canopy (zip line)

https://www.facebook.com/wildranchcanopy?fref=ts

Have fun!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I am back from my cruise and did the Countryside Experience. I am glad we did it. Loved driving through the streets of La Romana in the open air bus. You did really get to see how people live. I was bored with the stop at the nursery, but the people from each bus followed the guide for their bus around the nursery, and many seemed to have good guides, but ours admitted that he does not usually go on that particular tour, and he did not seem to no much about any of the plants and just kept telling us to wander around and take pictures. It was no different than visiting a nursery at home (rows of plants, nothing really to do). It would have been okay if we were learning about them. It seemed not well organized at the stops, but I believe it was just our guide. Even with the guide we had I would do the tour again, but would hope for a better guide of course. We stopped for sugar cane and rum and/or pop in a field. The fruit was good at the Papito's house, but nothing unusual. Papito's house seemed more like a stop to sell you things like cocoa, coffee, cigars, and carvings. No pressure though, and still a nice stop. There was a guy rolling and handing out free cigars as he rolled them. There was a fire with cocoa roasting on it, but they weren't really doing anything with the cocoa. Our guide passed us a couple of beans to taste. It was interesting to see some of the countryside communities near the Papito's house. There were kids in school uniforms with no shoes happy and waving and running after the buses. We also stopped at a building with a market inside that seemed to exist solely for the bus loads of tourists. Nothing great but a chance to buy some souvenirs or you wanted. I love to see how people live in other countries, so this tour was great. You get to see the country, the city and the highway in between. Our kids are tweens and teens and they enjoyed the tour as well, and all want to go back to the Domincan Republic again even for a land vacation.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. It really gives you an idea of how the people there live.

• 1 year later...

Hi Happy Abroad! Below, we have included links to features about excursions in the Dominican Republic, as well as Puerto Plata, should you make it to Amber Cove.

5 UNUSUAL THINGS TO DO IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

http://wp.me/p5zQ06-Mj

CRUISE SHIP VISITORS

http://wp.me/P5zQ06-Je

FIRST TIME VISITORS

http://wp.me/P5zQ06-IQ

VOLUNTOURISM WITH A TWIST: FATHOM™ IMPACT TRAVEL COMES TO PUERTO PLATA

http://wp.me/p5zQ06-CY

TAKE A CRUISE TO PUERTO PLATA: HERE’S HOW!

http://wp.me/p5zQ06-ei

INSIDE PUERTO PLATA

http://www.insidepuertoplata.com

Our group did 3 different CCL excursions last time we were there. The snorkel trip involved taking a bus a short distance around the secure area to the catamaran which is docked in front of the ship (but you can't walk there, LOL). It sprinkled on us but we still saw some cool fish despite the weather and the crowds. You don't go far, you can still see the ship the whole time. The music was so loud, but the drinks were flowing on the return and no one seemed to care. This is the only port where we left both our young children on board the ship at our discretion (one of them has since requested to stay at camp on a couple of other stops...Ocho Rios- did not want to do the falls- and Cozumel).

My sister did the horseback riding, some of it on a beach, and loved it.

My parents, in their 70s at the time, took the bus through the wealthy area to the Alto Chavon area. They said it was a nice tour overall. Bought some jewelry up there.

We will be going to Puerto Plata in January; I was there over 20 yrs ago so expect it to be much different. I'm sure Amber Cove will be packed.

If we were traveling alone and without our children, we would take the CL Santo Domingo tour.

Check Seavis Tours and their Saona Island Special. Much better than the Carnival excursion and what a great staff! Beautiful day on the water, an island, amd a sandbar and a fab lunch! Seavis works with the Carnivalschedule so no worries there.

Some people just get a day pass at Dreams but what a waste, the area is beautiful with the nat'l park and islands. We're returning to spend a couple weeks in Bayahibe where the excursions depart from amd where Dreams is and look forward to taking more of the Seavis it pro excursion tours. Just a naturally beautiful area.

We did return for an 11 night stay in Bayahibe and loved our cat sail to Catalina Island with Pro Excursions. Includes a ride up the River Chavon and along Casa De Campo with the beautiful homes. Not sure this particular trip is available to day visitors but Pro E is a top notch operator, just as is Seavis.

• 2 months later...

We are sailing on the Breeze Christmas cruise with our three sons who are 17, 14 and 4. I would book the Seavis Tours excursion if not for worries that our 4 year old would not enjoy it as much.

But if anyone has done one of the Seavis excursions especially with a young child let me know your thoughts.

But I have looked on CCL sponsored beach excursions and they have 2 beach day excursions.

One doesn't have any reviews so if anyone has any knowledge please please please let me know ASAP. It's called the NUEVA ROMANA BEACH ESCAPE.

And the other is for Bayahibe Beach Resort an AI which is about $100 per person with iffy reviews.

Or I have seen a few day passes we can get for other resorts like Dreams. But alcohol isn't important to us meaning we don't need it for this excursion.

Sailing in Dec 2015. Carnival offers many tours for La Romana, but my travel agent offers ZERO for LaRomana. Seemed odd.

I looked up the port on cruisett.com and saw there there are only TWO days in the entire month of Nov that a cruise ship will come to La Romana. For Dec.2015, again there will only be TWO DAYS that a cruise ship will be there. In spring of 2016 there will be a ship in port ~3 days per month.

What is going on at this port? Not a typical Caribbean stop.

We are sailing on the Breeze Christmas cruise with our three sons who are 17, 14 and 4. I would book the Seavis Tours excursion if not for worries that our 4 year old would not enjoy it as much.

But if anyone has done one of the Seavis excursions especially with a young child let me know your thoughts.

But I have looked on CCL sponsored beach excursions and they have 2 beach day excursions.

One doesn't have any reviews so if anyone has any knowledge please please please let me know ASAP. It's called the NUEVA ROMANA BEACH ESCAPE.

And the other is for Bayahibe Beach Resort an AI which is about $100 per person with iffy reviews.

Or I have seen a few day passes we can get for other resorts like Dreams. But alcohol isn't important to us meaning we don't need it for this excursion.

I would have no concerns about your 4 year old and the Seavis Saona Island excursion.

We've stayed at Dreams and our concern there is the number of people versus the size of the resort. It was very crowded during high season and you will be there during the peak holiday.

The Seavis excursion is an excellent option and quite safe. But if you decide to just do a beach grab a taxi to the public beach in Dominicus just past Bayahibe.

Sailing in Dec 2015. Carnival offers many tours for La Romana, but my travel agent offers ZERO for LaRomana. Seemed odd.

I looked up the port on cruisett.com and saw there there are only TWO days in the entire month of Nov that a cruise ship will come to La Romana. For Dec.2015, again there will only be TWO DAYS that a cruise ship will be there. In spring of 2016 there will be a ship in port ~3 days per month.

What is going on at this port? Not a typical Caribbean stop.

As far as I know CCL is the only line hitting La Romana. This can be a wasted stop for many people that do not do any research. Obviously there is abundant information here with great ideas like the Seavis Saona Island excursion, or one of the land excursions if you are not interested in the water...