Hotel suggestions for Singapore?

WorldTravelz

We will be first time visitors to Singapore where will will spend 3 nights before going on a cruise that leaves from the Harbor Front terminal. We will be using points(we are Hilton gold members), which are the same for both places. I am trying to decide which place is the best to stay in for sightseeing, food, and ease of shuttle service from the airport and transportation to the cruise terminal. Any input is appreciated.

I am HH Gold also. When I checked our dates, there's a huge difference in points between Conrad and Hilton. More than double. Would love to try out the Conrad, but for 190,000 plus points per night, that's quite a bit! I have enough points but not sure if it's worth it.

I've booked us at the Fairmont for now. Glad to hear the person above enjoyed it. I was also looking at the Conrad which is nearby but is a little more expensive. Any opinions as to whether the Conrad would be worth another $40 or so /night? From tabath1's post the Fairmont sounds pretty hard to beat.

We stayed at the Fairmont. For what I can afford, it's in my top 3 anywhere along with the Langham in HK and the Corinthia in Budapest. ( the original Grand Budapest)

Edited by Earl Rosebery

We stayed at the Fairmont. For what I can afford, it's in my top 3 anywhere along with the Langham in HK and the Corinthia in Budapest. ( the original Grand Budapest)

Thanks for the opinion. We end our cruise in HK and are spending 5 days there. I've currently booked the Kowloon Shangri-La but The Langham looks comparably priced. Any experience or opinion betweent those two? Looks like I could actually get a suite at Langham for about what I'm paying for a Deluxe Side Harbor View room at Shangri-La.

Read The Langham site incorrectly. Actually could get a Grand Courtyard room for what I'm paying at Shangri-La, but would appreciate if you know any advantage of one over the other. Location, amenities, service, etc. Only thing I can see online is the Side Harbor View at Shangri-La is 42 sqm vs 34 sqm for the Langham Grand Courtyard which would be nice.

Thanks

Edited by ajaxup

"Harbor View" would be the tiebreaker for my husband.... Noting this and putting it in my bookmark:p

(I can pretty much take him anywhere I want if I promise he can look at boats & ships while we're there! He's going to have a blast on our Asian cruise - we'll start out with at least a couple nights in SIN before we embark next year.....)

In my view, I think the Fairmont has a fantastic location for a tourist, because it sits right on top Raffles City and is connected to many MRT lines, especially the important City Hall MRT station which is the East-West and North South interchange.

Here are some videos to show you Raffles City.

You should be able to get very good views from your hotel room, the higher the better. THis video is taken from a building just beside the Fairmont. I am on 30-something floor.

[YOUTUBE]So-znkXmg9E[/YOUTUBE]

Raffles City Basement shops.

[YOUTUBE]_ZuvFi94kY0[/YOUTUBE]

Raffles City Food Court, on the fourth floor.

[YOUTUBE]npAX_Oqhezs[/YOUTUBE]

Raffles City connected to City Hall MRT station.

[YOUTUBE]l6ckQwm-EZw[/YOUTUBE]

Hope these are helpful.

In my view, I think the Fairmont has a fantastic location for a tourist, because it sits right on top Raffles City and is connected to many MRT lines, especially the important City Hall MRT station which is the East-West and North South interchange.

You should be able to get very good views from your hotel room, the higher the better. THis video is taken from a building just beside the Fairmont. I am on 30-something floor.

[YOUTUBE]So-znkXmg9E[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_ZuvFi94kY0[/YOUTUBE]

Raffles City Food Court, on the fourth floor.

[YOUTUBE]npAX_Oqhezs[/YOUTUBE]

Raffles City connected to City Hall MRT station.

[YOUTUBE]l6ckQwm-EZw[/YOUTUBE]

Hope these are helpful.

Thank you. The videos were very informative. I think The Fairmont will do nicely. I'm curious about getting into the hotel. Do you have to fight through the Raffles City crowds or does the hotel have its own entrance somewhere? Also I want to try the hawker food while I'm there. Is the food court food considered hawker food and are the places open for dinner or just lunch? We like to explore cities as much as we can so we usually eat casual meals instead of fancy long drawn out haute cuisine. We'll get enough on that when we sail on our 14 day cruise after our four days in Singapore. :D

Read The Langham site incorrectly. Actually could get a Grand Courtyard room for what I'm paying at Shangri-La, but would appreciate if you know any advantage of one over the other. Location, amenities, service, etc. Only thing I can see online is the Side Harbor View at Shangri-La is 42 sqm vs 34 sqm for the Langham Grand Courtyard which would be nice.

Thanks

Shangri La looks fancier. Langham is an easier stroll to the Star Ferry which is the starting point for trips to HK island. The other way is by fast , modern subway from either hotel. Everyonr takes the ferry a few times. The courtyard rooms overlook the pool area.

Thank you. The videos were very informative. I think The Fairmont will do nicely. I'm curious about getting into the hotel. Do you have to fight through the Raffles City crowds or does the hotel have its own entrance somewhere? Also I want to try the hawker food while I'm there. Is the food court food considered hawker food and are the places open for dinner or just lunch? We like to explore cities as much as we can so we usually eat casual meals instead of fancy long drawn out haute cuisine. We'll get enough on that when we sail on our 14 day cruise after our four days in Singapore. :D

The hotel has its own entrance, foyer, drop-off point and nice lobby. However, if you are the taking the MRT, then you would have go via the station entrance I have shown you in the video.

Food court food is considered a slightly more upmarket version of hawker food. That said, the choices and selection are very similar. The food court at Raffles City is opened for both lunch and dinner.

If you want a more authentic hawker experience, you can Lau Pa Sat -

[YOUTUBE]l-KScs_ORPU[/YOUTUBE]

Alternatively, take the MRT northwards to Newton MRT and there is Newton Hawker centre. Two videos I made on Newton hawker centre.

[YOUTUBE]qlxP5P3JiY4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]myKLZf8LwVM[/YOUTUBE]

_ZuvFi94kY0

Hope these are helpful.

Thanks for the youtube of the Raffeles City Basement, my favourite money changer is in there right next to a bank.

I hope he's still there I've been going to him for over 30years.:)

P.S. We are big fans of Lau Pa Sat.

Edited by Albert Bell

Thanks for the youtube of the Raffeles City Basement, my favourite money changer is in there right next to a bank.

I hope he's still there I've been going to him for over 30years.:)

P.S. We are big fans of Lau Pa Sat.

Glad you enjoy visiting Singapore. Lau Pa Sat is a great place to get local food. Cheers

Glad you enjoy visiting Singapore. Lau Pa Sat is a great place to get local food. Cheers

We will be back in Singapore next year for a weeks stopover both ways from our Copenharen to Barcelona cruise.

Hope we can get a good deal at the Carlton Hotel, really love it down in that area.

We will be back in Singapore next year for a weeks stopover both ways from our Copenharen to Barcelona cruise.

Hope we can get a good deal at the Carlton Hotel, really love it down in that area.

Where do you usually book your hotel rooms from? Hotel website?

Yes, Carlton Hotel's location is good. Easy to get to many places from there. Dined at Wah Lok before and it wasn't too bad.

We will be visiting Singapore for the first time in February during Chinese New Year. Initially we thought the Pan Pacific would be a good choice but now are wondering if Amoy by Far East Hospitality or the Fairmont would be better choices. The Carlton also looks interesting. Would appreciate any guidance in our hotel choice from those who know Singapore. Perhaps all are great and I should just look for the best price?

We will be visiting Singapore for the first time in February during Chinese New Year. Initially we thought the Pan Pacific would be a good choice but now are wondering if Amoy by Far East Hospitality or the Fairmont would be better choices. The Carlton also looks interesting. Would appreciate any guidance in our hotel choice from those who know Singapore. Perhaps all are great and I should just look for the best price?

Singapore for me is about location, we started out many years ago in the now demolished Marco Polo up near the Botanical gardens and loved it. For a few years we stayed in the Scott's Rd and Orchard Rd hotels and enjoyed those too.

Now we go for the area down around one of your choices the Fairmont because of how easy it is to walk to the MRT, food halls and the good shopping.

You have picked three very good hotels and the best price pan looks like a good one. Taxi are also cheap in Singapore so your not to far away from anything. Have a great holiday.

Where do you usually book your hotel rooms from? Hotel website?

Yes, Carlton Hotel's location is good. Easy to get to many places from there. Dined at Wah Lok before and it wasn't too bad.

We usually check with the hotel first then look at Hotels.com, there's always somewhere with a discount.

The Wah Lok dim sum looks good.:)

jmlh,

I noticed that you will be going on a Sinorama tour in November. Which tour are you on? We are on the Nov. 10, Scenic Landscapes, Rural Villages 10 Days with the 5-day Yantze River cruise on Gold 8 after the land tour added on.

Hi jmlh,

If I was to visit Singapore during Chinese New Year, I would stay at the Amoy, as it's a short walk to Chinatown where all the action will be. It's in a lovely area with beautiful heritage buildings, restaurants and bars. At the end of the street is Telok Ayer MRT & Lau Pa Sat (fabulous Hawker centre) is about 5 minutes walk.

A gorgeous boutique hotel, with lots a personality. Just my humble opinion - whatever you choose have a fabulous holiday and wonderful cruise :D

Wangeling gal

jmlh,

I noticed that you will be going on a Sinorama tour in November. Which tour are you on? We are on the Nov. 10, Scenic Landscapes, Rural Villages 10 Days with the 5-day Yantze River cruise on Gold 8 after the land tour added on.

ROcruiser,

We are doing the China Imperial and Yangtze River (3 Gorges) on October 29 (15 days). Have never been to this part of the world so it should be very interesting.

Hi jmlh,

If I was to visit Singapore during Chinese New Year, I would stay at the Amoy, as it's a short walk to Chinatown where all the action will be. It's in a lovely area with beautiful heritage buildings, restaurants and bars. At the end of the street is Telok Ayer MRT & Lau Pa Sat (fabulous Hawker centre) is about 5 minutes walk.

A gorgeous boutique hotel, with lots a personality. Just my humble opinion - whatever you choose have a fabulous holiday and wonderful cruise :D

Wangeling gal

Thanks for the recommendation. Nice to hear from someone who has seen the area.

Singapore for me is about location, we started out many years ago in the now demolished Marco Polo up near the Botanical gardens and loved it. For a few years we stayed in the Scott's Rd and Orchard Rd hotels and enjoyed those too.

Now we go for the area down around one of your choices the Fairmont because of how easy it is to walk to the MRT, food halls and the good shopping.

You have picked three very good hotels and the best price pan looks like a good one. Taxi are also cheap in Singapore so your not to far away from anything. Have a great holiday.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Your comments are much appreciated.

ROcruiser,

We are doing the China Imperial and Yangtze River (3 Gorges) on October 29 (15 days). Have never been to this part of the world so it should be very interesting.

Have a great trip! This will be our 3rd cruise on the Yangtze. Our two previous cruises were on the Victoria ships. Anxious to try out the Gold 8.

Still trying to decide on a hotel for Singapore next February. Thank you all for your suggestions!