Best things to do in Roseau, Dominica

Grace n Eve

My husband and I have cruised three other times in the Southern Caribbean and in mid-April we will visit Roseau, Dominica for the first time. What would you recommend we do while there and who do you recommend we use as a tour guide?

Scout n Grace

My husband and I have cruised three other times in the Southern Caribbean and in mid-April we will visit Roseau, Dominica for the first time. What would you recommend we do while there and who do you recommend we use as a tour guide?

Scout n Grace

Dominica is a place for unspoiled nature. There are volcanic springs, waterfalls and plenty of hiking in forested mountains. A tour guide is definitely helpful. I took a very interesting tour with Bumping.

Dominica is one of our favorite islands, the prettiest you'll see. You have to get out of Roseau. It's not as touristy as most of the islands, and as previously mentioned, is a more of a nature destination, with great opportunities for hiking, seeing the rainforest, etc. It's where parts of Pirates of the Caribbeans was filed (and at Titou Gorge you can even pretend to be Capt. Jack and jump off the cliff into the water). Mid-April is good whale-watching time, too, and Dominica is a perfect island to take one of those excursions.

I recommend Levi Baron, of Bumpiing Tours, too. We've taken 3 of his excursions and are booked for a fourth next January.

Edited by jlmolner

Just returned from Dominica and because I have some back problems could not go on the excursion I originally planned. I decided to go Cooking Caribbean Style and could not have had a better time. I got to see some of the island on our trip to her mountaintop home which is absolutely beautiful. Daria has created a covered, outdoor kitchen area in the back of her home and it is set up perfectly for group cooking. We all got to examine the variety of ingredients, share in the preparation, eat the meal (and also drink the rum drink that was prepared). Just received my recipes and cannot wait to make them at home. For something different, I recommend this!

We rented a car and drove ourselves around. The main coastal road is fairly new, funded by the Chinese, and in excellent condition. We drove up to the village of Mero, had a quick dip in the sea from the lovely black sand beach, then drove up to Portsmouth and Fort Shirley. While not as spectacular as Brimstone Fort in St Kitts, this fort is well worth seeing and the views across the bay are magnificent. After that we drove back down the coastal road, then inland to the Trois Pitons National Park, a World Heritage Site. To be frank, we were a little underwhelmed by the emerald pool and waterfall but the overall scenery is arguably the most dramatic in the Caribbean. We dropped the car off in Roseau and walked around the town - if you have a liking for colonial architecture you are in for a treat. Roseau was a wonderful place to stroll around for an hour. All in all, a great day.

Edited by Fletcher

Just returned from equinox in march, and booked with bumping...it was wonderful, i did not participate in snorkeling in champagne reef, but everyone who did enjoyed it, after a nice well equipped van, we went to gorge and i actually dunked myself in the COOL water and swam thru the gorge, it was well worth it...(remember to bring towels)!!!!, than walked down the hike to hot springs, kind of rough path, but nice, i was too exhausted and challenged enough not to go all the way down in the springs, and walking up my legs were turning to jelly, and they were quite sore the next two days walking up the flights of stairs on ship, but it was all well worth it., he has supplies of beers, water and soda in a cooler, and he has (Levi) a wonderful sense of humor and love and pride for his home....:)

mrsmagnolia, this sounds exactly like the kind of excursion I would like to take! Could you tell me how much this tour cost? Did you have to find others to join your tour? I have never snorkeled, but would love to learn. Do they have someone who can show you how?

(glad to help)..the tour i beleive was labelled Roseau Valley Treasure, and it was $47 pp, we requested levi thru emails personally. He will give you great precise instructions where to meet you and your group, right off the ship...he supplies floats and i beleive he would help a first timer with snorkelling, just ask him to be sure, he is very good with responding to questions, I asked him about a million or so...there was someone in our group who was easily tired and she participated, and loved it...take a towel, and walking shoes on this excursion, and limber up your legs if you go down to the hot springs, it is very extensive climbing over rough terrain....have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Can someone give us any ideas what tour company to use and contact info?

Beno Tours..........have been with him twice and going back for the third time. He is wonderful and you will see everything, even have lunch.

My husband and I booked a tour with Dominica on August 17th while on a port stop from the Carnival Victory. We had reserved a private tour and wanted to hike Middleham Falls and swim at TiTou Gorge. Beno met us at the pier and drove us in his van to the hike entry point, sharing the history of his beautiful island and pointing out some of its nature highlights along the way. We hiked to the falls and it was definitely worth the walk...a gorgeous waterfall in the midst of the rainforest. Beno also accompanied my adventurous husband who wanted to hike down to the rocks at the fall's base! We then visited TiTou Gorge and had a cool and invigorating swim through the cave to the edge of another roaring waterfall. During both our hike and our swim we only saw one other small group of people and it felt like we had beautiful nature of Dominica all to ourselves! On the way back to the ship Beno also took us thru the Botanical Gardens, pointing out the native trees and flora. Beno is truly an ambassador to his beautiful island and you will not regret booking a tour with him. We will definitely return to Dominica for further adventures with our new friend!

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<

Please use Beno tours while in Dominica......he is wonderful and will show you everything there is to see and stop along the way if you want to do pictures,etc. He will even feed you.

We have toured with him twice and are going to tour with him again in Mar. 2014! Can't wait!

We had two bus loads and everyone had a great time and talked about the tour the whole cruise.

Please use Beno tours while in Dominica......he is wonderful and will show you everything there is to see and stop along the way if you want to do pictures,etc. He will even feed you.

We have toured with him twice and are going to tour with him again in Mar. 2014! Can't wait!

We had two bus loads and everyone had a great time and talked about the tour the whole cruise.

Can you please give me contact info? Thank you

Scout n Grace

You don't need to book excursions for Dominica, there are many taxis there and the drivers provide excellent tours for a reasonable fare. Just hook up with one when you dock, they will take you to the hiking trails tithe falls and the sulfur springs and other highlights. Then you will have time to explore the town for a bit.

Gorgeous, lush island where hiking and touring and seeing the views from the mountains are recommended. The people of Dominica are also the friendliest we've met in all our travels through the Carib.

Can you please give me contact info? Thank you

Here is the information to contact Beno Tours:

Augustine “Beno” Pascal

39 Solomon Lane

Goodwill, Roseau

Commonwealth of Dominica

MSN: benox265@hotmail.com

Email: info@benonaturetours.com

Alternate Email: bnpascal@gmail.com

Phone: 1-767- 4480625 / 235-2625 / 225-7216

E-mail Us Today!

Here is the information to contact Beno Tours:

Augustine “Beno” Pascal

39 Solomon Lane

Goodwill, Roseau

Commonwealth of Dominica

MSN: benox265@hotmail.com

Email: info@benonaturetours.com

Alternate Email: bnpascal@gmail.com

Phone: 1-767- 4480625 / 235-2625 / 225-7216

E-mail Us Today!

Thank you :)

You can also go canyoning with Extreme Canyoning Dominica. It is a very unique experience and one of my all time favorite excursions. I love Dominica's unspoilt beauty. Ignore everyone who says there isn't a lot to do.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

how hard was the canyoning physically - I'm up for a challenge, but not a Gros Piton sized challenge...

I pretty much have no upper body strength and had had ankle surgery 6 months before. A little more than none would have been helpful for letting myself down (repelling) but the tour guides are great for helping out. I managed but I wish I could have done it a little more on my own. (I weighed maybe 135 so I didn't feel that bad about it.)

Honestly the most strenuous part for me was the hike back up to the car. lol. For some reason it never occurred to me that repelling down a canyon/stream would require hiking UP to a road. It is a but harder because you are in a wetsuit which constricts your movement some and makes you hot. I was also extra out of shape because of the inactivity from my ankle injury/surgery recovery. (Not that I am ever "in shape".

The only other thing is you do a lot of walking in rocks. I'm not so great at that and was extra paranoid since I hadn't been cleared for normal activity for that long. The fact that i would be walking on rocks also didn't occur to me when planning ahead lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...
Just returned from Dominica and because I have some back problems could not go on the excursion I originally planned. I decided to go Cooking Caribbean Style and could not have had a better time. I got to see some of the island on our trip to her mountaintop home which is absolutely beautiful. Daria has created a covered, outdoor kitchen area in the back of her home and it is set up perfectly for group cooking. We all got to examine the variety of ingredients, share in the preparation, eat the meal (and also drink the rum drink that was prepared). Just received my recipes and cannot wait to make them at home. For something different, I recommend this!

Hi, Do you have more info on the cooking class, how to contact Daria?

Thanks, Betty