I've been to Israel many times

NorbertsNiece

Will be visiting for the first time via a cruise ship and find myself stumped.

May. Ashdod and Haifa. One day each. Ashdod has an 8pm sailaway whereas Haifa is 6pm.

What would you do? I have friends in Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Netanya. Do I visit or do the tourist thing? More than happy to transport myself anywhere. All suggestions welcome. :)

Linda

From Haifa it's easy enough to fix up a van tour along with others milling around outside the cruise terminal - the most popular one includes Cana, Nazareth, a kibbutz, River Jordan baptisms, Sea of Galilee. Or taxi or train a few miles up the coast to the crusader castle at Acre (various spellings).

From Ashdod it's a little more difficult, but if you don't fix anything in advance there's a free port shuttle to the gate where taxis have a cartel. A taxi to Jerusalem with four pax will cost about 25 euros per person each one-way. You can take a free (just tip the guide) walking tour of the walled city via http://www.newjerusalemtours.com/

We rented a car at Ashdod but we had an overnite & it may not be so advantageous if you just have the one day.

This info as of 2 - 3 years ago, security issues (more likely for Ashdod than for Haifa) change frequently, I suggest you don't commit front-money in case your ship doesn't port etc.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

You could meet a new friend- me! :D:p

Make your way to Jerusalem or Tel Aviv, and I'd be thrilled to meet you in person, Linda- I've always loved reading your reviews! I'd be happy to show you some of my favorite haunts :)

Ruth

Edited by happy trailer

Thanks Peggy. The gardens are indeed stunning. I may join a roll call tour of Christian sites from Haifa. Would be something different.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and will likely visit friends in Jerusalem from Ashdod.... just need to find out where the RCL bus drops off / picks up..... would feel more confidant of making the ship with their transport! Not driven in Israel myself for many years.... really don't want the stress.