New to photography

JessandLevi

I know it's off topic .... but the one I remember is <alt>128 as I am active in some EU forums about photography.

I still have the DSLR gear and will stay that way for the foreseeable future. Having said that I also have Canon G's for when you need to be light. Also there is a Olympus YX-1 which I really liked but SWMBO has adopted that one.

Edited by Cabansail

Dave,

Great photos. Just did a Canada N/E cruise which went to many of those ports. The photos bought back great memories and many things I missed and you got. Well done.

Thank you!

We had a great trip but I wish the "fall colors" were a little less green. Good excuse to do it again, right?

Dave

Edited by pierces

Thank you!

We had a great trip but I wish the "fall colors" were a little less green. Good excuse to do it again, right?

Dave

Same here, we left Montreal on the 1st Sept, too early for the fall but on the flip side we had great weather.

Dave, your People, Places, and Things album is stunning. LOVE the lighthouse album in ME. You truly have the gift and eye for photography. Thanks for giving me a glimpse.

C'mon folks! I posted the link as an example of the A6000's capability for the OP, not as an I-love-me link! :o

Not to say I'm not pleased that y'all are enjoying the photos. :) We had a wonderful trip and I think that added some enthusiasm to my shooting.

Anyway, thank you. I am glad that others are enjoying them.

Dave

I got my camera today and I LOVE it! I especially love the bundle that I chose. It came with 2 sets of 3 filters (which I will need to learn what they do) it also came with a car charger, extra battery, turbo wall charger (it took about an hour to charge the spare battery), 32 gb sd card, 55-210 lens, sd to usb adapter, hdmi cord, a huge carry bag, and I bought the remote. I know I am probably forgetting some stuff. I turned it on and set up date/time then snapped a pic of my son. For some reason it did an auto crop (which I actually love) I'll try to upload the pics here. I am amazed at this camera and look forward to learning photography.

I got my camera today and I LOVE it! I especially love the bundle that I chose. It came with 2 sets of 3 filters (which I will need to learn what they do) it also came with a car charger, extra battery, turbo wall charger (it took about an hour to charge the spare battery), 32 gb sd card, 55-210 lens, sd to usb adapter, hdmi cord, a huge carry bag, and I bought the remote. I know I am probably forgetting some stuff. I turned it on and set up date/time then snapped a pic of my son. For some reason it did an auto crop (which I actually love) I'll try to upload the pics here. I am amazed at this camera and look forward to learning photography.

And so, the adventure begins.... ;)

Attaching pictures. Here's a long-standing thread that tells you exactly how to do it. Just Kidding...there's no one way or one online photo site that is "best". Arguably the worst way is to directly upload to CC from your PC (as you now know) since their limitations on size leave you with only a tiny thumbnail to view. Scan through the thread and pick out what works best for you. It is also a good place to test whatever method you choose.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1714741

Filters: Here's a link to an article I wrote in response to a lot of questions like yours over the years. It might be helpful in getting you started:

http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/usingfilters.html

Here's another about autofocus that may help you take advantage of the A6000's strengths in that area and work with the limitations:

http://www.pptphoto.com/articles/autofocus.html

Don't be shy about posting questions and discoveries over on the A6000 thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2215195

The growing number of folks over there are happy to answer questions about your camera and share tips.

Here's the most important tip: HAVE FUN!

Enjoy your new camera and the Golden Age of photography!

Dave

Thanks so much Dave. I will definitely browse these threads. I had the camera set on A but I might try the intelligent auto to see what it does. I am excited to explore and find out new things.

I uploaded the pictures from my iPad so I guess I need to start using the computer lol which in your opinion is better photobucket, Flickr, shutterfly? I've never used any of them.

Thanks so much Dave. I will definitely browse these threads. I had the camera set on A but I might try the intelligent auto to see what it does. I am excited to explore and find out new things.

I uploaded the pictures from my iPad so I guess I need to start using the computer lol which in your opinion is better photobucket, Flickr, shutterfly? I've never used any of them.

Honestly, I couldn't say. I have accounts at all three to test uploads and linking but actually use a for-pay Zenfolio account for my own images.

All three seem to work fine and you'll find fans of all of them here. All offer trial accounts so maybe you should load some photos up, play with the settings and display options and see what you like.

Funny that you set your camera on "A". I probably have shot 99.9% of all photos on "A". Even back in the film days, I always preferred to control the aperture and by that the depth of field and let the camera figure out the shutter speed. Of course, with digital you also get the option of Auto ISO which I set to 100-1600 or 100-3200 and set the aperture for the situation.

Anyway, try out the online storage options and get going!

Dave

• 1 month later...

JESSANDLEVI:

I don't believe in preaching to the choir -but beware of Dave Pierce! He can be a bad influence!

:-)

I should point out that I began my adventures in photography in the early 1950s - from Canon rangefinders to Nikon Fs to Sony A6000.

Dave has influenced me in buying at least four lenses to my A6000 and will getting another one tomorrow (Amazon) because he posted a reference to another Sony zoom lenses..

Of course everything Dave has said was right on point but my camera budget for 2018 is already shot to hades -

Now if I get a second camera body, I'm already be spending moneys that I would have allocated for year 2019-2020.

Dave's advice is very good but bad for the budget!

I found another one that I like the way it looks and comes in a bundle.

Canon EOS Rebel T3 DSLR Camera Body with 18-55mm IS II and 75-300mm III Lenses 16GB Bundle.

Don't shop for how it looks, shop for how it works and how well you like the pictures. While you're at it, I highly recommend buying only "recent technology", i.e. less than three years since product announcement.

I'd also recommend staying far, far away from the 75-300 III lens, as it's not image stabilized. You're much better off with the 55-250 STM IS lens unless you know you'll only use the 75-300 between 11:30am and 12:45pm on a sunny, cloudless, windless day.

I'd also recommend staying far, far away from the 75-300 III lens, as it's not image stabilized. You're much better off with the 55-250 STM IS lens unless you know you'll only use the 75-300 between 11:30am and 12:45pm on a sunny, cloudless, windless day.

How on God's green earth did we ever take a photo before image stabilization?

I remember shooting in the early morning, afternoon and even the evening, but it may be my memory playing tricks on me....

;)

Dave

How on God's green earth did we ever take a photo before image stabilization?

I remember shooting in the early morning, afternoon and even the evening, but it may be my memory playing tricks on me....

Ah, but if it's in your memory banks, it's likely before the days of point&shoots that have conditioned us all to just point and then shoot. Let's put all of the variables together here:

$179 retail lens (so optically not great, probably best to just shoot at f/8)

noob, so potentially little experience in the exposure triangle and how to manage it well

Result: frustration, with photography, with switching to DSLR, and with that lens, yet insufficient skills to know how to make it better. Imagine the disappointment when one realizes that the 55-250 sells for $299, but nobody (but a noobier noob) will buy the used 75-300 for anything over $20. Or worse, the owner will buy the 55-250, keep the 75-300, and end up posting on here "I'm going to Alaska and taking my 12-24, 17-55, 18-85, 18-200, 55-250, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, and my 75-300. Am I taking too much?"