Freedom of the Seas Fun things to explore for an RCCL Newbie

cgolf1

A while back, we did some research on the forum and found some fun things to do and learned some things about RCCL. Really looking for info on the Freedom of the Seas and anything we should know about RCCL in general. I know there has to be more tips and tricks then we found, but that initial search took hours.

We have only been on DCL before, but are getting really excited to try something new out next year. Of course there are some pre-cruise jitters starting to happen because we are leaving what we know, but I am hoping those go away as the trip nears.

A while back, we did some research on the forum and found some fun things to do and learned some things about RCCL. Really looking for info on the Freedom of the Seas and anything we should know about RCCL in general. I know there has to be more tips and tricks then we found, but that initial search took hours.

We have only been on DCL before, but are getting really excited to try something new out next year. Of course there are some pre-cruise jitters starting to happen because we are leaving what we know, but I am hoping those go away as the trip nears.

Are you going out of Port Canaveral or out of Ft Lauderdale?

Freedom was the first ship to have the cantilevered hot tubs. Love those. I also like Freedom't solarium pool the best of the ships with solarium pools. If you do pay restaurants at all, I did like doing Sabor for lunch (Mexican) and when I was on Freedom in 20145 Chops was fantastic!

Are you going out of Port Canaveral or out of Ft Lauderdale?

We are going out of Ft Lauderdale, unfortunately not early enough to go to the place where they shot the gator boys TV show.

Freedom was the first ship to have the cantilevered hot tubs. Love those. I also like Freedom't solarium pool the best of the ships with solarium pools. If you do pay restaurants at all, I did like doing Sabor for lunch (Mexican) and when I was on Freedom in 20145 Chops was fantastic!

We are on the fence about the pay restaurants. Part of us wants to try it with the free dining first and branch out after that. Of course if the free dining is subpar than our hand may be forced. I am guessing it will be similar to DCL, slightly elevated mass dining room food.

The solarium is no kids right? And do they keep it no kids? We are so used to kids walking through the adult spaces on DCL that it will be really nice to have an adult only space.

We are on the fence about the pay restaurants. Part of us wants to try it with the free dining first and branch out after that. Of course if the free dining is subpar than our hand may be forced. I am guessing it will be similar to DCL, slightly elevated mass dining room food.

The solarium is no kids right? And do they keep it no kids? We are so used to kids walking through the adult spaces on DCL that it will be really nice to have an adult only space.

Understood about pay dining. Freedom's solarium is adult 16+ only, usually well respected and enforced.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

There is often a food demo in Windjammer bar every day. I have seen risotto and the Kummelwreck sandwich. The Kummelwreck is usually on Saturday in conjunction with Freedom Fest. Not sure if that will change when she sails from South FL

There is often a food demo in Windjammer bar every day. I have seen risotto and the Kummelwreck sandwich. The Kummelwreck is usually on Saturday in conjunction with Freedom Fest. Not sure if that will change when she sails from South FL

That will be a lot of fun if they are still doing it, we have really enjoyed attending events like these in the past, especially my wife.

This is a good place to start for info on Freedom:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/royal-caribbean/freedom

Thanks that was similar to what we did when we initially booked the cruise 4 or 5 months back, and I am embarrassed to see someone started a similar thread very recently.

My goal is to start becoming a more consistent lurker as the cruise draws near and post any questions that come up along the way.

we really liked the FOS - not too big but plenty of amenities:

- At Solarium pool look for chairs behind a door to the far left when looking fore - very secluded

- use deck 4 outside to quickly get to the other end of the ship - I believe there's shuffleboard there too - fun!

- Jade in Windjammer has some sushi at cocktail hour (we eat dinner late)

- see the Ice Show

- the cantilevered whirlpools have great views

- the drink package is the bomb!

- Sabor has a cover and is very good, but lunch took hours out of our day time.

- I had freestyle dining reservations but really, we easily got in whenever we wanted.

- Don't forget to ask for extras in the main dining room - we often would get a risotto or an extra dish for the table to try.

- if you like adult comedy, stay up for the late shows.

Free dining? Pretty sure you paid for the "free" dining.

Free dining? Pretty sure you paid for the "free" dining.

You're right the included dining;)

We are really looking forward to this trip, it will be nice to finally try another cruise line to see that there is life after DCL:)