Atl-lax-yvr help

Bristol5

I have a flight booked for May 2015 from Atlanta to LAX on Delta, then on Alaska Air to Vancouver. Our layover is 1hr 17 min. I have never flown connecting flights before and am extremely anxious over this situation. Since the Alaska Air flight will be considered International what is involved? I have looked over the Airport map and it looks like Delta arrives at Terminal 5, and Alaska Air is at Terminal 6, but I don't know if our arriving flight being domestic and the departing flight being international complicates the matter. I know the experienced traveler will probably laugh at my questions, but I admit to being a complete novice and worrier!:o

I think your connection time in LAX is to tight. You'll have walk or ride over to the other terminal and go thru security . Going to YVR from LAX is like doing a domestic flight . You'll clear customs and immigration in YVR. Canada doesn't have pre clearance in the US or any country . You'll require a passport to board the flight to YVR . Drivers license and Birth certificate don't work.

Edited by Kamloops50

I think your connection time in LAX is to tight. You'll have walk or ride over to the other terminal and go thru security . Going to YVR from LAX is like doing a domestic flight . You'll clear customs and immigration in YVR. Canada doesn't have pre clearance in the US or any country . You'll require a passport to board the flight to YVR . Drivers license and Birth certificate don't work.

There is a tunnel between terminal 5 and terminal 6, and you don't have to go through security again.:)

Is there an option B if you miss the flight from LAX to YVR? There are certainly lots of flights a day on various airlines between the 2 airports...are you flying in a day before your cruise (so you would likely have a cushion of time)?

It's doable, There's a tunnel between LAX 5 & 6 behind security; Mrs Scottbee did the exact connection 18 hours ago and had no issues, was at the Alaska gate 15 minutes after getting off the DL flight.

Alaska have a few daily LAX-YVR and there are also LAX-PDX/SEA-YVR possibilities if you miss your connection (and they'll reaccomodate you if there is a missed cxn)

Yes, we are flying on Saturday and the Cruise leaves on Monday, but I did not know what would happen if we missed the connection. The flight was set up through the airline as a Multi-city flight. At the time of booking I did not question the timing, I believed that the airlines would not book flights that could not be made. I didn't start thinking about actually making the connection and what would be involved until today, and then I became worried. I am glad to hear about the tunnels and that Mrs. S was able to make this type of connection. So am I understanding correctly that if for some reason we do miss the connecting flight, the airline will put us on the next flight? Thank you all for your help.

Yes, we are flying on Saturday and the Cruise leaves on Monday, but I did not know what would happen if we missed the connection. The flight was set up through the airline as a Multi-city flight. At the time of booking I did not question the timing, I believed that the airlines would not book flights that could not be made. I didn't start thinking about actually making the connection and what would be involved until today, and then I became worried. I am glad to hear about the tunnels and that Mrs. S was able to make this type of connection. So am I understanding correctly that if for some reason we do miss the connecting flight, the airline will put us on the next flight? Thank you all for your help.

If it's a single ticket, yes they will; if you've bought two separate tickets, they might.

I don't know about your original schedule; but between LAX-YVR on Alaska or Delta you have many many options (and these are just the good connections, there are plenty more that take longer too)

DL5755 LAX 0630-0920 YVR

AS477/2266 LAX 0600-0829 SEA 1045-1134 YVR

AS747 LAX 0945-1245 YVR

AS455/2024 LAX 1100-1329 SEA 1400-1449 YVR

AS705 LAX 1225-1505 YVR

AS703 LAX 1410-1710 YVR

DL5682 LAX 1605-1839 SEA 1955-2045 YVR

AS479/2242 LAX 1630-1859 SEA 2005-2053 YVR

AS559/2536 LAX 1650-1909 PDX 2155-2310 YVR

DL5758 LAX 1925-2015 YVR

AS701 LAX 2040-2339 YVR

Even with a missed cxn, you'll have no problem getting to YVR

I must thank you again, yes, it is a single booking - round trip through Delta. So now, I can stop worrying. Knowing me, I'll find something else:o, but maybe not, I am so excited about this trip and have planned and planned. I believe it is all good now! I really appreciate this board, it has been very helpful to me.:)