Would you consider a land vacation on Roatan?

evandbob

I sometimes use cruises as a scouting expedition to see if I would like to return to an island or area for a more in depth or extended stay. Being in a port for 6 or 8 hours gives me just a "taste" of local customs and flavor.

After maybe 10 port stops and many different excursions in Roatan, I went there for a week last year in February and will be returning to West Bay Beach next month at Infinity Bay, right next door to Tabyana. Once I became aware of major airlines flying direct to Roatan from big US hubs, I had to book a week there. Being on the island gave me time to explore LFK on a Sunday, take a 1/2 day fishing trip off shore, and eat and shop at local restaurants and markets.

Anyone else? I've used this same tactic to investigate other islands/areas like St Kitts, Dominica, San Pedro in Belize, Montego Bay in Jamaica, Panama City in Panama, places I wouldn't normally think of for a land based stay.

I found Belize on a cruise and two years later moved to San Pedro. I have been here since 2008. I work for the airlines here in Belize.

I have been to Roatan on a few cruises and have the opportunity to visit for work and have added a few days to relax as well. I have a cruise booked that visits Roatan in June and am trying to put together a land vacation as well.

I like to stay in West end Village for its charm. We take a water taxi over to west bay for a day for the nice beach.

Yes, the wife and I spend several days in Roatan scouting out places to buy or build. We like it a lot.

Spent a week in Belize on Caye Caulker... loved it. We had to leave because of the Tropical Storm that was approaching though but that was on the last day anyways.

Just returned from a cruise...our first time in Roatan. Have been checking out the west end for a longer visit next time. It is a delightful area isn't it? Had occasion to have a drink at The Landings which is upstairs at the Beach House...right on the lovely bay there...half moon? .....looks like a real possibility for us. Think it would be wise to do this sooner rather than later....people are going to really start coming here in droves as more and more cruise lines start to visit! See you on the beach!

I found Belize on a cruise and two years later moved to San Pedro. I have been here since 2008. I work for the airlines here in Belize.

I have been to Roatan on a few cruises and have the opportunity to visit for work and have added a few days to relax as well. I have a cruise booked that visits Roatan in June and am trying to put together a land vacation as well.

I like to stay in West end Village for its charm. We take a water taxi over to west bay for a day for the nice beach.

WadetheGringo, I've read many of your posts on San Pedro and can relate. My very 1st cruise had an excursion right from the ship to the "real" shark ray alley off San Pedro and we also spent some time ashore there. I liked it so much I returned for a week's stay at the "Banana Beach" resort.

I admire your courage in moving there. That's obviously a much bigger step than returning for a land vacation.

If you want a special vacation check out Nevis. It's part of St. Kitts 12 miles to the south. Black sand beaches from the volcano and great people. Also Alexander Hamilton was born there.

I was going to ignore your post. But really, WTH does it have to do with Roatan?

BTW, I've been to Nevis and St Kitts. But I comment on them in the appropriate threads.

Anyone else? I've used this same tactic to investigate other islands/areas like St Kitts, Dominica, San Pedro in Belize, Montego Bay in Jamaica, Panama City in Panama, places I wouldn't normally think of for a land based stay.

Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. This was the portion that jumped out at me, places that may be worth considering that normally wouldn't be on your radar.

WadetheGringo, I've read many of your posts on San Pedro and can relate. My very 1st cruise had an excursion right from the ship to the "real" shark ray alley off San Pedro and we also spent some time ashore there. I liked it so much I returned for a week's stay at the "Banana Beach" resort.

I admire your courage in moving there. That's obviously a much bigger step than returning for a land vacation.

The problem is I haven't been in the water here in over a month. I live on the beachfront. Just with a full time job and a bar. I have been in the water more in Roatan and Flores this year than Belize. Still would not trade for anything.

• 4 weeks later...

We would love to do a week long dive vacation to Roatan.

I like to use cruises to discover areas I want to spend more time. We loved snorkeling in Cozumel so much we became certified scuba divers and have been back there for full vacations.

Yes, nice resorts, good food, 2 nice grocery stores, & a Tiger Woods owned golf course. He used to have BIG home, lost in divorce. Flight used to just go to Houston & Miami on Sat & Sun, now fly to & from a lot of cities. 3 or 4 notables have big homes there, Julio Eng, Segal, several others. 4 or 5 years ago great place to invest, now getting pricy. Place to invest now is about 80 miles from Belize City, Placencia, NCL will develop island & port there, land already purchased. Now is ground floor time there, talk of international airport near.