Can Two Adults Enjoy a Disney Cruise w/o Kids?

AF-1

Hi, my wife and I would like to cruise Disney. Background: we have been to Disneyworld many times with our kids/grandkids. We have taken cruises with our kids/grandkids, and we have cruised by ourselves. My question is: do you think we could enjoy Disney Wonder or Magic without our kids? We like the looks of these ships; they look like a ship from the 1960's; verses Fantasy or Dream. We have not been on Disney Cruise line before; only Royal Caribbean. So what do you think?

YES give it a try! I am sailing for my birthday with a party of 20+ adults :D

Disney just does it right! From the service, rotational restaurants, and even the Adult only areas (especially on the Dream class ships! Skyline is fantastic as well as Pink) everything is excellent! I highly recommend trying Palo and Remy too :)

cb3thatsme,

wow your actually going with 20 adults on a Disney ship; that is so cool. I don't know if I could muster up that many adults to cruise Disney; but good for you; thanks for the feedback.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband and I are childless. We went on the Magic two years ago holding our breath because we were not sure about going on a ship with so many children. We were so happy with our cruise. Late mornings sitting in the adults only coffee shop with a bowl of cappucino and a magazine, after lunch a lounge chair in the Quiet Cove pool (adults only). Dinner in Palo at sunset (adults only) and dancing at the adults only club and a nightcap at the adult only piano lounge. All day my activities and relaxation was done kid free and it was all fabulous. The times that I did encounter kids it was painless and stress free. Disney does a great job of keeping them entertained and out of your hair. Sometimes what the kids were doing looked like so much fun I wished we could have done them too. :cool:

My wife and I sailed on the Magic early on with the kids. We LOVED it as did our kids. We always wanted to return but for many reasons never did. My wife and I always talked about going back on Disney but felt we would be out of place with no kids. Finally, we booked a cruise in May Last year and had an absolute blast. We have been on 27 cruises on 12 different lines from mass market to luxury to river cruising and sailing vessels but there is something very special about Disney. Of course you have to be a Disney fan first but the service, adult areas, entertainment and the type of cruisers you encounter make it a very special experience.

We did the Dream last year and are going on the renewed Magic in January. What we found is that there are quite a few adults without kids on board. We were seated at a table of 8 adults all of whom had sailed before with their families. We found a respect for the adult areas at night although there were planned kids activities in various venues during the day. I have to say that the children were all very well behaved and never unruly or obtrusive.

Palo is a must as is Remy if the charge is not too much for you. I will miss Remy on the Magic. It was like V&A at sea but even better. We even enjoyed the other dining venues and found the food to be very good.

I apologize for being so lengthy but I get that way when talking about Disney Cruise Lines.

Queenork and bphman, thank you very much for your feedback. You make it sound very enticing to jump on a Disney ship without kids; so far everyone who's gone without their kids; had a great time. Thanks.

Hi, my wife and I would like to cruise Disney. Background: we have been to Disneyworld many times with our kids/grandkids. We have taken cruises with our kids/grandkids, and we have cruised by ourselves. My question is: do you think we could enjoy Disney Wonder or Magic without our kids? We like the looks of these ships; they look like a ship from the 1960's; verses Fantasy or Dream. We have not been on Disney Cruise line before; only Royal Caribbean. So what do you think?

Our neighbours on both sides of us were both retired couples. No kids. Which worked out great for us.

We were on the Magic. There were ALOT of cruisers that cruised sans kids!!

Although we have a child with us (14) we book a dinner table for us 3 only and enjoy a nice and quiet dinner.

Edited by vacation_junkie

• 2 weeks later...

One other great thing is Castaway Cay and the adult only beach. Here you will truly be without kids and they even serve lunch there so you don't have to eat with the masses. We have done DCL without kids before and have met so many people who have as well. It is wonderful. When you don't have little ones with you and have to worry about getting in line to meet the princesses and things, the less you notice all the kids.

My experience is very much like Capt BJ's. On ALL ships' date=' parents and kids regard the forward section of the pool deck (by the adult pool) as an appropriate walk/run/skate thru area even though there are signs at each end stating that this area is for guests 18 and over. And there are parents hanging out at the adult pool with kids who come in to ask a question or whatever. Why they are not supervising these children who are obviously NOT in the programming is beyond my understanding as is why the kid needs to enter the adult area rather than using any house phone or their stateroom phone to call mom on the wave phone. There seems to be a thought process that if they don't stay long, it won't matter. We've also seen parents bring kids into the Cove Cafe--the CM working the area wants his tips, so he usually doesn't say anything.

I'm not trying to be a child hater--I'm not. But I feel that they should stay OUT of the adult only areas. I'm not allowed to play in the OC or Lab except during rare specified hours; they should not be entering my area either.

As to other lines--we were pleased with the enforcement on Celebrity. The adult pool had 2 hours of clearly posted times when it was open to families/children. During other hours, children were not permitted and it was enforced.[/quote']

I think it all depends on the cruise/ ship you are on, rather than the line. I just got off a Celebrity cruise on the Millenium and saw kids in the adult pool area all day long and no one making them leave. They were also sitting at the martini bar every night. I remember commenting on how much better DCL was at keeping the kids out of the adult areas.

rdillon2, thanks for the feedback; kids should stay out of the adult areas; why do cruise line look the other way? I guess they don't want to upset any of the paying customers.

We love Disney and don't have kids. We tend to stick to the adult only areas and they are never crowded.

Most adults are on the ship with Families so they are in the family areas.....that means adult only areas do not have alot of people in them.

Undoubtedly two compatible adults can enjoy a DCL cruise without kids. Based on our experience, my wife and I (both geezers) can only wonder WHY you would want to. We returned from our first DCL cruise a week ago. Our group totaled 14 (2 geezers, 3 kids and their spouses and 6 grandkids (ages 10, 7, 6 and 3 three-year-old boys.) We have never had a bad cruise, including this one. (Prior cruises were on Seabourn, Regency Seven Seas, Celebrity, Holland America, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Commodore.)

Our last cruise before this was on Regency Seven Seas' Navigator - 2 months ago. Comparing the Navigator to DCL's Fantasy is night and day. The Navigator's food and service was superb, whereas the Fantasy's food was OK. We found the Fantasy to be noisy, crowded and everything involved LONG LINES. I can only suggest that you try something else before doing DCL without kids. Last year, we went on RCCL's Allure of the Seas with kids. My wife and I found it to be too big, but the price was less and the food was definitely a step above the Fantasy. The kids preferred the Allure to the Fantasy.

The good new is the choices are unlimited. If you prefer DCL, definitely go for it!

Greengo, thanks for your feedback. My wife and I have only sailed RCI. We have been with them many times; we have been on Allure with just adults; and have been on Freedom with our kids/grandkids. (everyone loved this ship); we are going on 14 day cruise out of Venice next year with Norwegian;(1st time with NCL). My wife and I have also been on Majesty, Explorer, Splendor, Voyager. We've sailed both Europe and the Caribbean. We are looking to sail Disnsey either to Alaska or Hawaii. p.s. I get the kids thing. We take vacations every year with our kids/grandkids; but the Disney cruise would be at a time when the kids are in school. Next years Europe cruise is just us and the adult kids.

Edited by AF-1

Just back for the Disney Fantasy. I was just DH and myself. We had a fantastic time. We are doing the Magic (just the two of us) for the New Year's cruise. We are looking forward to it. We are 50 and 60, but kids at heart so we enjoy ourselves. We also are DVC members and just the two of spend time at the parks and resorts and enjoy ourselves. I think it is all about the attitude you take with you on the cruise. Yes, there are loads of kids, but Disney seems to keep them so busy you don't notice. Also, you have to go in with the understanding that everyone is excited (especially the first few days) so there may be some behaviors that need corrected. We have taken 5 Disney cruises and keep going back. We are platinum RCI members, but have leaned more towards Disney in the last few years. Hope this helps.

Just back for the Disney Fantasy. I was just DH and myself. We had a fantastic time. We are doing the Magic (just the two of us) for the New Year's cruise. We are looking forward to it. We are 50 and 60, but kids at heart so we enjoy ourselves. We also are DVC members and just the two of spend time at the parks and resorts and enjoy ourselves. I think it is all about the attitude you take with you on the cruise. Yes, there are loads of kids, but Disney seems to keep them so busy you don't notice. Also, you have to go in with the understanding that everyone is excited (especially the first few days) so there may be some behaviors that need corrected. We have taken 5 Disney cruises and keep going back. We are platinum RCI members, but have leaned more towards Disney in the last few years. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback

We're a couple who will be going on our 4th DCL cruise next month,and looking foward to it.There are lots of things to do for adults.We started kind of backwards,our first time was on the Dream,then the Fantasty,the Wonder twice,and next month on the Magic.Keep a good eye on the special rates area.You never know when something good will pop up.We saw the panama Canal last year on a great rate,and are goin to Southern Carribbean next month on another great rate,There's nothing better than an evening outdoors watching some great old movies on the jumo screen with a warm blanket wrapped around you,or a liesurely walk on deck 4 after a meal,or a crazy ride on the Aquaduck,or watching the shining faces of children so excited to see a special character.Yep,the Disney Magic is there,in every little corner!

Most people think its more expensive,but if you put together all the hotel costs,food,etc,etc,I think you'll find that you could be spending just as much at sea!

And Caastaway Cay,their private island is a great place too!

We're a couple who will be going on our 4th DCL cruise next month,and looking foward to it.There are lots of things to do for adults.We started kind of backwards,our first time was on the Dream,then the Fantasty,the Wonder twice,and next month on the Magic.Keep a good eye on the special rates area.You never know when something good will pop up.We saw the panama Canal last year on a great rate,and are goin to Southern Carribbean next month on another great rate,There's nothing better than an evening outdoors watching some great old movies on the jumo screen with a warm blanket wrapped around you,or a liesurely walk on deck 4 after a meal,or a crazy ride on the Aquaduck,or watching the shining faces of children so excited to see a special character.Yep,the Disney Magic is there,in every little corner!

Most people think its more expensive,but if you put together all the hotel costs,food,etc,etc,I think you'll find that you could be spending just as much at sea!

And Caastaway Cay,their private island is a great place too!

Thank you for your feedback. Which ship have you enjoyed the most and why?