Under age drinking

Shipbound

Well, a lot of this is wrong.

MADD browbeat our congress(no caps now, they are unworthy) into passing an extortionate law that withheld federal highway money from states that didn't move the legal age for purchasing alcohol to 21. Nobody in congress had the stones to stand up and demand proof of MADD's statistics. Which doesn't exist. This was in the eighties.

Louisiana fought the system for about three years and realized that they were paying into the system and really couldn't do without the highway funds. Their alcohol purchase is now 21.

There is a guy on the internet with a standing offer of 50 grand if you can prove the stats that MADD presented congress as they lobbied for this injustice.

If you're old enough to vote and wear a uniform and die for your flag....

you're old enough to buy booze. Our spineless congress cannot grasp this reality.

You are correct about the MADD part and the drinking age in most states being raised to 21 in the 80's. Technically Louisiana didn't officially raise the age to 21 until 1995. However 18 year olds can still drink in Louisiana as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian over the age of 21. Georgia and Wisconsin (big surprise) technically allow anyone under 21 to drink as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. The drinking age is still 18 in Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Guam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._history_of_alcohol_minimum_purchase_age_by_state

There's only 2 underage drinkers in my family (16 & 20 year old nices) that I would buy for and that only because they proven themselves to be responsible and discreet about it. Every other niece and nephew is either extremely young (not buying for a 10 year old) or extremely irresponsible (If your parents are saying no to alcohol for you, don't drink beer in front of 100+ party guests and them while 17, then assume there'll be no consequences. Yeah, that went as well it sounds....[emoji36])

You are correct about the MADD part and the drinking age in most states being raised to 21 in the 80's. Technically Louisiana didn't officially raise the age to 21 until 1995. However 18 year olds can still drink in Louisiana as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian over the age of 21. Georgia and Wisconsin (big surprise) technically allow anyone under 21 to drink as long as they are accompanied by a parent or guardian. The drinking age is still 18 in Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Guam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._history_of_alcohol_minimum_purchase_age_by_state

Many states allow them to drink it. Purchasing it is a different matter.

And it is morally wrong.

Many states allow them to drink it. Purchasing it is a different matter.

And it is morally wrong.

Name a state that allows them to drink without getting arrest or ticket. Even in the 80-90's if you want to drink as a teenage, you had to have someone you know buy it for you or know a store that was willing to sell but you hide the drink in brown paper bag or the equivalent to drink it. The problem is not that buying for teenages is morally wrong, its that you have some teens and adults who don't know how to act when inebriated or know when to stop when they can't see anything while buzz. If you feel so wobbly that you can't walk in a straight line for 2 feet, then stop drinking til you get your composure back even if it means not have another drink for the day/evening. That's pretty much the issue with Americans and drinking in general, no real afterthought how to get home safety when stupid drunk and getting even complete strangers involve in mess up situations (how else does one explain all these drunk driving incidents with innocent victims?)

Name a state that allows them to drink without getting arrest or ticket. Even in the 80-90's if you want to drink as a teenage, you had to have someone you know buy it for you or know a store that was willing to sell but you hide the drink in brown paper bag or the equivalent to drink it. The problem is not that buying for teenages is morally wrong, its that you have some teens and adults who don't know how to act when inebriated or know when to stop when they can't see anything while buzz. If you feel so wobbly that you can't walk in a straight line for 2 feet, then stop drinking til you get your composure back even if it means not have another drink for the day/evening. That's pretty much the issue with Americans and drinking in general, no real afterthought how to get home safety when stupid drunk and getting even complete strangers involve in mess up situations (how else does one explain all these drunk driving incidents with innocent victims?)

Huh?

Would you buy drinks for a guest if you new they were under age ? The reason I asked this question is that guests have asked me to buy them drinks and I new they were under age, I said no.

Gary

Well done. No should be the answer. :)

So.....if a person is sailing out of New Orleans, they can legally buy their son or daughter that is under 21 (but over 18) a drink on the ship as long as they are with them? And I assume while still docked or maybe until they clear the Mississippi River into the Gulf? (What are the geographic boundaries of Louisiana?)

Nope....would not buy under any circumstance whether it be my child or someone else's. Both my children survived not drinking on board until they were of legal age, which is 21. They are 22 and 28 now and are no worse for the wear that we followed the law. I'm no fool, I'm sure they drank at times while out with friends, etc, but we didn't condone it, especially while they were with us. We offered each of them while in Mexico, where they were legal, and both declined. Maybe instead of giving our under-aged kids watered-down drinks, we should be giving them an understanding that a great time can be had even without alcohol involved.

and this applies to adults too.

So.....if a person is sailing out of New Orleans, they can legally buy their son or daughter that is under 21 (but over 18) a drink on the ship as long as they are with them? And I assume while still docked or maybe until they clear the Mississippi River into the Gulf? (What are the geographic boundaries of Louisiana?)

State's laws and ship's rules are not necessarily the same.

Getting removed from the ship because not following their rules would be.....less than cost-effective.

Would you buy drinks for a guest if you new they were under age ? The reason I asked this question is that guests have asked me to buy them drinks and I new they were under age, I said no.

Gary

Never!!