Christmas Shop Windows

babs135

When will the shops start their Christmas window displays? We will be in New York from the 20th to the 25th November. We were there last December and didn't see very much because of the crowds.

Presumably because black Friday is so close it will be busy/busier than usual?

Last question for now. Will there still be good offers in the shops pre Friday? For example DH would like a coat.

They're usually installing them before Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure that any are uncovered before Thanksgiving or Black Friday; just haven't been in town that week to look.

That Wednesday will be insane! Not so much the shops, as the sales start Friday (or in a few cases now, Thursday), but the rest of the town will be crazy. Are you flying out on the 25th??? That is the busiest travel day in the United States! Allow a LOT of extra time to get to the airport! Just a word of warning. Travel on the 26th (Thanksgiving Day) is nice and relaxed...

You may find a few pre-Thanksgiving sales, but the big sale are on Friday.

They're usually installing them before Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure that any are uncovered before Thanksgiving or Black Friday; just haven't been in town that week to look.

That Wednesday will be insane! Not so much the shops, as the sales start Friday (or in a few cases now, Thursday), but the rest of the town will be crazy. Are you flying out on the 25th??? That is the busiest travel day in the United States! Allow a LOT of extra time to get to the airport! Just a word of warning. Travel on the 26th (Thanksgiving Day) is nice and relaxed...

You may find a few pre-Thanksgiving sales, but the big sale are on Friday.

Sailing home on the Wednesday on the QM2. Presumably it won't be that busy getting to the terminal? Never thought about transport problems

Sailing home on the Wednesday on the QM2. Presumably it won't be that busy getting to the terminal? Never thought about transport problems

The transport problems are at the 3 airports and getting to them. You should be fine going to the pier

You're leaving from Brooklyn. What time of day will you be heading there? Where are you staying in Manhattan?

If you're leaving from the Manhattan before noon, I'd expect traffic, but you're probably OK; you're only going to Brooklyn. Later in the day heading towards JFK would worry me a lot more.

When will the shops start their Christmas window displays? We will be in New York from the 20th to the 25th November. We were there last December and didn't see very much because of the crowds.

Presumably because black Friday is so close it will be busy/busier than usual?

Last question for now. Will there still be good offers in the shops pre Friday? For example DH would like a coat.

There are always some sort of sales going on at the major Department stores. :) Actually for coats, November usually has some good sales, so come back here and remind us and we'll try to search out some sales for you.

The outdoor windows won't be on display yet, but many of the insides of the stores will already be decorated. You probably can even catch the Radio City Christmas Spectacular in previews while you are here.

Traffic in NYC always stinks and you will have to cross a bridge or a tunnel to get from Manhattan to Brooklyn, one car accident or flat tire and the entire thing comes to a halt. Just know it might take longer than expected and plan for it. . .it will be fine.

Edited by Got2Cruise

• 5 months later...

Update A lot of Christmas windows were already in place while we were in New York so that was good. DH went to Century 21 for his coat and was happy. And our embarkation on the Queen Mary 2 was probably one of the quickest on record - one hour from W38th Street to stepping into our cabin!!

Thanks for all the advice you have given me and I hope to continue 'bothering' you in the future. Sadly nothing planned at the moment, but who knows...

Update A lot of Christmas windows were already in place while we were in New York so that was good. DH went to Century 21 for his coat and was happy. And our embarkation on the Queen Mary 2 was probably one of the quickest on record - one hour from W38th Street to stepping into our cabin!!

Thanks for all the advice you have given me and I hope to continue 'bothering' you in the future. Sadly nothing planned at the moment, but who knows...

So glad it all worked out. It's never a bother.