Help, I may be over doing it

thehams

7 night Caribbean cruise this summer and I'm trying to figure out what kind of travel bAgs I will need (besides my luggage)

I have a tote, but I'm wondering if I should get a travel purse too. We are doing excursions at all 3 ports: cave tubing/zip line, snorkeling and a beach club. I feel like I'll need the tote for 3 of the excursions, since I'll need a change of clothes etc. Should I also get a purse or throw everything into my tote?

I feel so.silly not being able to decide.

I never use a purse on a cruise. I usually leave it in the car or store it in a suitcase. I do bring a drawstring backpack. Very light and gives me hands free. We don't do beach excursions so no need for a change of clothes. But, a t-shirt and a pair of shorts or a sundress would fit in the backpack.

The one I have is a product 31, and has a zippered pocket on the outside.

Yes, no need to take a purse on beach/water excursions. Just be sure any cash is in a water proof wallet and tucked into the very bottom of your tote, i.e. beneath the towel, clothes, etc.

For the ship itself, I use a tiny shoulder strap bag to hold my ship card, reading glasses, camera, small hair brush, and lip gloss. Those are the things I can't live without so I don't mind carrying the tiny shoulder bag. Mine are from LeSportsac.

One other thing--you won't need a change of clothes. Wear your suit under board shorts and a reef shirt (I like the zip up ones). If you do that all you'll need to carry is your cabin key, a bit of cash, sun block (don't forget a stick for lips, too), and a magazine or book (I don't like e-readers or tablets for this type of day, too much worry about loss or theft--no one will steal an issue of People or dog eared paperback from the library 10 cent sale!

I don't change clothes ashore....I wear my swimsuit under shorts or sundress,..doesn't take long to towel dry, then air dry...slip the clothes back on!

I do carry a small purse on the ship...I need my lipstick, comb, tissues, etc....too far to go back and forth to the cabin every time I need to "powder my nose'!

I've never needed a special "travel" bag or purse.....

I bring a smallish tote for beach...that's about it!

I'd also add that there often really isn't any place to change. The bathroom at any beach excursion might only be an outhouse type, and sometimes if there is an actual toilet there's zero room in the stall--to the point that you will practically have to straddle the toilet to close the door.

Bathrooms in other countries can be a bit... eye-opening.

Thank you everyone for the tips/advice. That's true that I don't need a change of clothes, but we will still have some other things to carry. I think a tote is all I need.

I don't know why, but I'm obsessing with travel bags right now. Probably because I don't really have any!!

7 night Caribbean cruise this summer and I'm trying to figure out what kind of travel bAgs I will need (besides my luggage)

I have a tote, but I'm wondering if I should get a travel purse too. We are doing excursions at all 3 ports: cave tubing/zip line, snorkeling and a beach club. I feel like I'll need the tote for 3 of the excursions, since I'll need a change of clothes etc. Should I also get a purse or throw everything into my tote?

I feel so.silly not being able to decide.

Don't bother with the change of clothes -- no one else will. Instead, for the type of excursions you're describing, ladies tend to wear a swimsuit topped with a cover-up, while men tend to wear swim trunks with a tee-shirt. Most people ashore will be dressed like this -- you can go into a casual restaurant (and that's all you'll find in cruise ports) or a store in this type of garb.

I don't know about taking a tote on the cave tubing/zip line trip. Do you know whether you'll have a place to leave it? I wouldn't leave it in the van that brings you to your location -- often van drivers drop you off, then go back for another load of people. Regardless, don't leave anything more important than a towel and a bottle of water or sunscreen in the tote. Ask your excursion provider if you'll have a place to leave your things; they're always happy to answer questions like this.

Is your snorkeling trip a boat trip? If so, you'll have a place to leave your tote.

And a tote is a good idea for a beach club.

I would not bring more than one bag on ANY excursion. You really don't need to bring much for those couple hours.

If you want a "purse" for onboard, consider a small wristlet. Just enough for your ship's ID, a couple dollars so you can tip a bartender, and a chapstick. Most of the time I don't carry anything onboard (because all my shorts and cover ups have pockets), but occasionally it's useful.

Edited by MrsPete