Duty Free Liquor at the San Juan Airport

bmdz412

I will be flying to San Juan for a cruise this summer. I want to pick up liquor at the airport to bring home that I don't have to pack in my luggage. Does anyone know what the currently sell or prices? TIA

• 2 weeks later...

I was doing some research on this myself. Found on TSA web site where if you buy it inside the secure area its put into a special sack you can take on the plane. You CANNOT drink from it. Only the airlines booze. I did find a blog where someone flew in to one airport and had to leave the secure area to change planes and TSA did not let them back in with it even though they were suppose to. found on the customs web site you can bring in 5L unless the state you fly into has other restrictions

Texas is 3.5L and you have to pay a tax on it..

I was doing some research on this myself. Found on TSA web site where if you buy it inside the secure area its put into a special sack you can take on the plane. You CANNOT drink from it. Only the airlines booze. I did find a blog where someone flew in to one airport and had to leave the secure area to change planes and TSA did not let them back in with it even though they were suppose to. found on the customs web site you can bring in 5L unless the state you fly into has other restrictions

Unfortunately, if you have to leave the TSA secure area and re-enter later, the rules apply as if you were getting to the airport to catch your first plane. In Puerto Rico, that means you need to go to the USDA scanner as well before re-checking your bags on the new airline and going through the TSA checkpoint again. In turn that means that the liquor must be put inside the checked luggage before re-checking it in. No matter how and where you bought it, once that booze leaves the secure area, it is subject to TSA's liquids policy at the checkpoint.

I will be flying to San Juan for a cruise this summer. I want to pick up liquor at the airport to bring home that I don't have to pack in my luggage. Does anyone know what the currently sell or prices? TIA

While I don't know the immediate prices, the last few times we've bought Puerto Rican rum at the airport, it's the exact same list price at the airport as it is anywhere on the island. (edit- the last time was Jan '17)

Since we do carry on only- it's the best way to get rums that we can't get in Michigan.

FWIW, that applies to any airport, any time.

Thanks, I have flown from San Juan previously. However, it was several years ago. I remembered I bought rum at the airport and they put it in a sealed bag with a shoulder strap. I still have it as it was a great bag that you could carry 2 bottles in and they wouldn't break. Good to know the prices are the same so I can pick some up at the airport and I won't have to pack. It won't be to drink on the plane, it is to give as gifts on when I get home. :cool:

We bought 4 bottles of rum inside the airport in June 2015 before flying home. They gave us a carrying bag that held 4 bottles and we carried it onto the airplane. The prices were alittle cheaper than the states (maybe a dollar or so less per bottle) but it was easy.

I did the duty free shop in the "everyone but JetBlue" terminal. Bought some bottles of Don Q Gran Anejo for sipping at home (my local State-run liquor store has no good sipping rums). It was put in a sealed plastic bag and then in the Don Q-labled cloth carry bag. Nice, since I was doing just carryon. I had the same thing when I come back from Europe: Bought some wine at the duty free, put in the sealed plastic bag. When I arrived at JFK, I did have to change terminals for my connection, so I had to go landside on the airtrain. At the TSA checkpoint, I gave them my duty free bag and they did their thing - opened the seal, "tested" the bottle (the swab and wave thing), re-sealed the bag and I was on my way.