Getting Bulkhead Seats in age of "Premium Economy" Class

GRBlizz

We're flying to Florida with my DH's power chair. This is our first time flying since Delta turned the front of its Economy section into "economy comfort" which carries a premium price.

When I booked online, I was given two center seats in two different rows way in the back. So I called Delta to request the seats we need per ACAA (aisle seat with lift arm, and me seated next to him, preferably in the bulkhead.) The rep told me that only the gate agent can make this decision, when we get to the airport. He kindly offered to change DH's seat to an aisle further back, but had nothing nearby for me. We discussed at length. He was very apologetic, but insisted that he did not have the ability to assign one of the "held back" seats. He had an Indian accent, so perhaps he was at an overseas call center.

I kept my cool and said that surely someone had the ability to assign seats more than 24 hours in advance, since that was the requirement. I asked to talk with a supervisor. He transferred me, and the phone was answered, "Customer Service in Cincinnati."

The lady was very helpful. She gave us two seats together in the first row of both flights. She did not charge for the upgrade to Economy Comfort. My online record now shows the bulkhead seats, so we're set. My stress level has decreased - a lot.

I am posting all this because I've read on here about people having difficulty getting the seats they need reserved. My advice: keep trying, and stay nice.

I've also read that using Twitter is a great last resort that can work, but I didn't have to go that far.

IF you are a Delta Frequest flyer check that you have properly updated your profile. I know with United I can go in and note my accessibility needs directly on my mileage plus profile. Than after booking on line I call the mileage plus number and get pre-assigned to the bulk head seats. If the profile doesn't contain the necessary information than it's often harder to get the seat requested needed.

I am wheelchair dependent and always ask and receive the bulkhead seats. One time I did have a problem, but then I asked for the special needs department. Every airline has one. They cleared it up quickly.

Just an FYI for those who prefer a seat with a moveable armrest for transfer purposes: the front row (bulkhead) seats in MOST aircraft DO NOT have a moveable armrest. The bulkhead seats usually have fixed armrests because the tray table is stored in them. Occasionally the tray table will fold down from the bulkhead panel for the front row, but I do not see that very often except on small planes.

My mom is unable to walk or bend her legs on her own. The front row would give her a little more leg room, but she finds it too difficult to transfer from the aisle chair over the fixed armrest to the bulkhead seat. Basically, we have to lift her over the fixed armrest, which can be painful for her. She prefers a seat with a moveable armrest, even if it is a few rows back, so she can simply slide from the aisle chair seat to the aircraft seat without being lifted.

I don't know if I can mention this, but there is a website called Seat Guru that provides really good information about aircraft seats, including whether there is a tray table in the armrest.

I have had both positive and negative experiences with booking flights for my mom on United. Her FF profile indicates that she cannot walk and requires an aisle chair for boarding. Last year I tried to get her moved closer to the front of the plane, but was told absolutely not unless she paid the upgrade fee for ecomony plus seating. I booked flights for her for this coming August and was able to have her moved to the row behind the bulkhead seats without any additional fees. Sometimes it just depends on who you talk to at the airline.

I have found AA the best. They always call me about two weeks prior and I have never had a problem getting the bulk head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I soo agree with you. I flew AA for the first time last November. I am 100% wheelchair dependent. The service I received from the moment I wheeled into the waiting area was amazing. About a week before my flight they called me and we made all the arrangements for my seating, early boarding. They had at least 10 people waiting for me at the door of the plane to help me to my seat.

They also gave me the row of seats right behind the bulkhead since it is easier for me to transfer from a seat with movable armrests.

Just keep in mind that you are not ENTITLED to bulkhead seats unless your knees do not bend. In addition to the non-removable armrest on these seats, the tray table is in the armrest, which is difficult to use for many. You also have no where to stow carry-ons under the seat in front of you, and will be required to stow all of that in the overhead. This makes is very inconvenient during your flight if you need to access meds, supplies, books, computer, etc. as someone will have to stand up and get them out of the overhead bins for you (and not allowed to do so if the seat belt sign is lit).

• 4 weeks later...

I have been traveling on airlines with my daughter since 1989 and while there have been some problems getting the bulkhead seats for us, most of the time airlines have been cooperative and helpful. We need the bulkhead seats because my daughter cannot stand or walk and I have to lift her from the aisle chair into the plane's seat. It is impossible for us to use any other seat. I have zero tolerance for surprises so I cannot travel with the promise of a gate attendant making the decision on site. I plan our trips well ahead, have all trip documents, arrive well ahead of time so I expect the airlines to plan as well as I do. I call ahead to make arrangements. My first airline experience was with Delta and they set the standard I use with all carriers. I prefer Southwest when possible because they are helpful, and not having a first class section makes it easier to get her on and off the plane.

Bored, you are lucky you have been able to get these seats, as it appears your daughter does not qualify for requiring these seats.

Many people cannot stand to transfer, but are lifted from the aisle chair to a non-bulkhead seat using one of the seats that has a swing away arm rest (there are several on every regular sized plane). The airlines must provide someone to do this lifting; when traveling with my mother I always insisted that they follow my directions in doing this safely and comfortably for her. She also was unable to stand at all for the last 18 years of her life, but we still traveled.

We did not like the bulkhead seats because those armrests do not swing away, and because of the inconvenient tray tables and lack of underseat storage, as above.

Bored, you are lucky you have been able to get these seats, as it appears your daughter does not qualify for requiring these seats.

Many people cannot stand to transfer, but are lifted from the aisle chair to a non-bulkhead seat using one of the seats that has a swing away arm rest (there are several on every regular sized plane). The airlines must provide someone to do this lifting; when traveling with my mother I always insisted that they follow my directions in doing this safely and comfortably for her. She also was unable to stand at all for the last 18 years of her life, but we still traveled.

We did not like the bulkhead seats because those armrests do not swing away, and because of the inconvenient tray tables and lack of underseat storage, as above.

The airlines are NOT required to lift anyone! In fact most have specific wording in their CoC that states that any passenger needing special assistance before or during the flight must travel with a companion who is able to assist, as airline personnel are not required to do so. Given the scenario you lay out, the airlines would be required to lift anyone--even a 400 pound man, which is NOT happening.

Edited by ducklite

I also am confused about the statement that an airline employee would be required to lift a passenger. They are not even required to help you get your bag into the overhead bin and I am interested in reading something stating airlines must provide a "designated lifter".

Also not understanding wanting bulkhead seats because as stated, the arm rests usually don't lift up.

In the USA, the airline is responsible for lifting people into their seat if they cannot transfer. We just let the gate agent know this, and how many lifters we would need, and they arrange this. 30 minutes before arrival, we notify the cabin attendant and they radio in the needs to the gate agent upon landing. We did the all over the world in our travels.

At some airports (LAX, for example), the airlines hire these staff, at others (Denver, for example), they are airport employees. This is NOT the cabin crew (although we have had them assist). And yes, it took two (plus me) to lift my mother into a seat. Quantas has a mechanical lift for this, but it has not been adopted by the airlines in the USA.

In the USA, the airline is responsible for lifting people into their seat if they cannot transfer. We just let the gate agent know this, and how many lifters we would need, and they arrange this. 30 minutes before arrival, we notify the cabin attendant and they radio in the needs to the gate agent upon landing. We did the all over the world in our travels.

At some airports (LAX, for example), the airlines hire these staff, at others (Denver, for example), they are airport employees. This is NOT the cabin crew (although we have had them assist). And yes, it took two (plus me) to lift my mother into a seat. Quantas has a mechanical lift for this, but it has not been adopted by the airlines in the USA.

I would like to see the law that requires this. It seems beyond what would be required as reasonable accommodation. What if the person weighs 800 pounds and has bought three seats to accommodate them? At some point it becomes unsafe for everyone involved to facilitate a lift in tight space. If you say you'll do,it for the 80 pound lady, it would be illegal to tell the 800 pound lady that they can't help her.

I would like to see the law that requires this. It seems beyond what would be required as reasonable accommodation. What if the person weighs 800 pounds and has bought three seats to accommodate them? At some point it becomes unsafe for everyone involved to facilitate a lift in tight space. If you say you'll do,it for the 80 pound lady, it would be illegal to tell the 800 pound lady that they can't help her.

Per the US Department of Transportation with specific reference to the Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 cabin crews must assist passengers with disabilities moving to and from seats during boarding and exiting the plane as well as assistance with the on-board wheelchair.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Per the US Department of Transportation with specific reference to the Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 cabin crews must assist passengers with disabilities moving to and from seats during boarding and exiting the plane as well as assistance with the on-board wheelchair.

That doesn't say that they have to lift, only that they have to provide assistance, which is why there are pushers and transfer chairs. Please show something that says they need to actually lift.

Here is an excellent resource explaining the regulations related to the Air Carrier Access Act:

http://www.unitedspinal.org/pdf/2012-accessible-air-travel-brochure.pdf

Yup. Move to and from doesn't mean in and out, it means provide a transfer chair and pusher. On page 20 you'll see it specifically says that they are not responsible for lifting or carrying.

That doesn't say that they have to lift, only that they have to provide assistance, which is why there are pushers and transfer chairs. Please show something that says they need to actually lift.

Go back and read all the posts as I never said that airline crew had to lift so therefore don't have to show you something that says so. Rather I only posted what's actually provided by the Air Carrier Access act of 1986 .

Edited by xxoocruiser

Go back and read all the posts as I never said that airline crew had to lift so therefore don't have to show you something that says so. Rather I only posted what's actually provided by the Air Carrier Access act of 1986 .

Sorry for any misunderstanding.