Captain Marvin's or Native Way for Stingray City/Turtle Farm combo tour?

bus man

My wife, kids (ages 7 and 5), and myself would like to visit these two places. Both of these companies offer combo tours, and the cost is similar enough that the difference doesn't matter. Can anyone think of any reason to choose one over the other, or should I just flip a coin?

• 2 weeks later...

We loved Captain Marvin's. The guide who drove us to the boat was funny and full of info about the island. The guides on the boat were just as knowledgeable and very nice. They take a lot of pictures of you with the stingrays which you can purchase on CD at the end of your voyage. I don't remember the price but we have some really good ones and they gave us all of them of the family for one price. I've never gone with Native Way so I can't really compare.

• 2 weeks later...

We did Nativeway with our kids and I will advise you if you book with them, bring your own goggles for the kids. They did not have smaller sized masks or snorkels.

They also weren't timely with leaving and we got back late enough that we didn't have beach time.

I wasn't super impressed and wouldn't book with them again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
We did an all day trip with Captain Marvin's: snorkeling, conch hunting, rays, AWESOME lunch and Starfish Point. The people were great, knowledgeable and very kind. definitely recommend this crew!!

Was it difficult getting on the tenders to make the tour in time? How far from the tender drop off did you have to walk? Also what did they serve for lunch.

thanks

We were nervous about getting back on time (we have heard the speech from the cruise line), but the crew repeatedly reminded us that they were mindful of the time, and we were delivered very close to the tender station. We did not have time to shop or see much in "town", but we had a short walk, and got on the tender immediately. Lunch was delicious-marinated conch (freshly caught by the crew) served with crackers, then a lovely buffet lunch with smoky grilled chicken and lots of sides, such as potato salad. The beach club was lovely and they have a full bar there where you can purchase drinks if you wish. They made sure that we had plenty to eat, and it was in a beautiful location. Maybe my favorite place on the entire cruise. Especially the Captain Marvin crew! They gave us a real insight to the island. I would definitely recommend it, and my son is going to take this trip on his upcoming cruise. We are anxious to return!

• 3 months later...

OP here. Captain Marvin's turned out to be a great choice. Everyone was very nice and friendly and things ran like clockwork throughout the day. There was never any worry about not getting back in time. The crew of the boat heading out to Stingray City let my kids -- and me -- take turns at the wheel. They got some great pictures of us in the water, so we decided to go ahead and cough up the $62 to buy the CD.

My son (age 7) saw a certain stuffed turtle in their Waterfront office where we started off the day's touring, and he couldn't get his mind off of it. We did not see any others of that exact type in any other stores. But then he started worrying that someone else would buy the one at the office before we got back at the end of the tour, and he wouldn't be able to have it. Our guide (sadly, I can't remember his name) radioed the office, had them locate the turtle in question, and asked them to put it aside so it would be there when we got back. The smile on my son's face when he was reunited with his little friend, and I bought it for him, was priceless.

Thank you all for recommending Captain Marvin's!

My wife, kids (ages 7 and 5), and myself would like to visit these two places. Both of these companies offer combo tours, and the cost is similar enough that the difference doesn't matter. Can anyone think of any reason to choose one over the other, or should I just flip a coin?

Is Captain Marvin's still offering a tour of the Turtle Farm and Stingray City? I only see snorkeling tour options on their website. I'm looking for a good tour of both of these places.

Is Captain Marvin's still offering a tour of the Turtle Farm and Stingray City? I only see snorkeling tour options on their website. I'm looking for a good tour of both of these places.

Hell/Turtle Farm Island Tour

Our Hell/Turtle Farm tour gives you all the highlights of the western side of the island and includes five stops:

-The Governor's House on Seven Mile Beach for a photo op

-Seven Mile Beach itself for another photo op

-The Old Homestead (an original Cayman-style cottage and grounds) for a photo op

-The area called 'Hell' that has gift shops and a post office alongside the strange and craggy limestone formation that gave thearea its name

-The Cayman Turtle Farm, where you will receive a guided tour including the touch tanks with turtles from yearlings to the300-pound plus breeding stock, emphasizing the cultural and economic importance of sea turtles to the Caymanian way of life.

The tour costs US$30/person for ages 4 and over (children under age 4 go free) and lasts approximately one hour and 45 minutes. It can be combined with a stingray/snorkel tour if that works with your schedule