Scooter newbie - dos and don'ts?

cruiserally

Thanks to all the great advice I have received on here, we will be leaving on our first Med cruise with a scooter in a few weeks. Our scooter is a rental Travelscoot, not our own, so we're very new to this whole process. It will mainly be used for distance walking (issues due to knee problems). Thankfully we will have a few days to practice with it before we leave on our flight, so that should help.

I thought I knew everything about scooters from all my research. But now, the more that I think of it, I have some very stupid questions about scooter use. What do you do with the scooter if you want to go into a store? Or if you're having dinner or lunch in a restaurant? I know Europe isn't anywhere near as accessible for the disabled, so am expecting stores/restaurants/sites to be narrow and not have much space to maneuver. Walking around inside a restaurant or store is doable (getting there is the problem!) so we won't have much use for the scooter inside places (unless it's a large museum or something like that). But, now I am nervous about how we will deal with the scooter itself - driving on cobblestones, using it on inclines, entering buildings, etc.

Finally, my other concern is for aboard the ship itself. I'm pretty sure we can use the scooter to get to the dining room and then park it near the entrance (or wherever the staff says is suitable). I'm really worried that someone might steal it if we do leave it there. Is there a key to start the scooter (I'm guessing not)? How does everyone else deal with this?

I feel really dumb asking these things, I know they're probably common sense, but I'm just really at a loss here. It's a whole new world for us.

I guess my main question is - what are some dos and don'ts of scooter use (particularly for a Travelscoot)? What are typical scooter issues that a first time user might not expect? Anything else a newbie needs to know?

Thanks to all the great advice I have received on here, we will be leaving on our first Med cruise with a scooter in a few weeks. Our scooter is a rental Travelscoot, not our own, so we're very new to this whole process. It will mainly be used for distance walking (issues due to knee problems). Thankfully we will have a few days to practice with it before we leave on our flight, so that should help.

I thought I knew everything about scooters from all my research. But now, the more that I think of it, I have some very stupid questions about scooter use. What do you do with the scooter if you want to go into a store?

The scooter can be driven into the store. Provided that there are no steps and the aisles are wide enough. Since you rented a TravelScoot it's light enough that it can be lifted over the stairs. Since it's light enough to be carried off and you have rented it do not leave it unattended when off the ship. Never leave it unattended when off the ship.

Or if you're having dinner or lunch in a restaurant?

You can drive it to your table and than the assistant waiter will park it for you. Or if you are able to walk short distances you can park it right inside the MDR entry. You need to have the scooter clearly marked with you Name and cabin number on it. I usually tak my extra cruiseline luggage tags and attach it in serveral places on the scooter.

I know Europe isn't anywhere near as accessible for the disabled, so am expecting stores/restaurants/sites to be narrow and not have much space to maneuver. Walking around inside a restaurant or store is doable (getting there is the problem!) so we won't have much use for the scooter inside places (unless it's a large museum or something like that). But, now I am nervous about how we will deal with the scooter itself - driving on cobblestones, using it on inclines, entering buildings, etc.

Just as here in the states stores and restaurants vary in Europe. The important thing is to never leave the scooter out of your sight . Otherwise you'll have to pay the rental company full cost replacement which is around $1,400. For restaurants I tend to go to ones that have outside seating.

The travelscoot has a very low clearance. You need to drive slowly over cobblestones. Since inclines can vary in degree you may at times have to get off the scooter and walk up the incline . Having someone else push/carry the travelscoot to flatter ground. Make certain if you normally use a cane that you bring it with you when using the Travelscoot. The travelscoot has 2 little cups at the base of the tiller to insert a can. You should bring a piece of string/ribbon to tie it to the top of the tiller to prevent it from falling.

Finally, my other concern is for aboard the ship itself. I'm pretty sure we can use the scooter to get to the dining room and then park it near the entrance (or wherever the staff says is suitable). I'm really worried that someone might steal it if we do leave it there. Is there a key to start the scooter (I'm guessing not)? How does everyone else deal with this?

The Travelscoot has no key. Therfore the drive gear can not be locked. Generally speaking I've never heard of a scooter being stolen while on the ship but there is always a first time. When the scooter arrives you'll see that the handles have to be inserted into the tiller. Though I do not have Travelscoot ( have a Go GO instead) I have suggested to others to disconnect the battery wires and/or pull out the handles and let them hang. This method isn't fool proof but most people will just think it's broken than take the time to fiqure out how it works. People on board ship are going to be more curious than not. Others on this forum have puchased a bike lock. Hopefully someone will join in an tell you how it worked out for them

I feel really dumb asking these things, I know they're probably common sense, but I'm just really at a loss here. It's a whole new world for us.

I guess my main question is - what are some dos and don'ts of scooter use (particularly for a Travelscoot)? What are typical scooter issues that a first time user might not expect? Anything else a newbie needs to know?

• Do not make fast turns. The Travelscoot has only three wheels and can easily tip if turning fast or if you shifted your weight while turning.
  • If the rental company ships you extra drive bands and simple tools. Do make certain you carry them with you at all times.
  • Do make certain you charge the battery everynight as instructed.
  • Remember that the Travelscoot does not have an automatic reverse gear. Reverse is your own foot power. So if you are unable to push backwords than you need to get off the scooter and manaully turn it around .
  • The tour buses generally do not have lifts. But the nice thing about the travelscoot you should be able to break it down and take it on board. If there's a luggage area under the bus you should be able to stow it there.
  • Make certain both feet are firmly on the ground before getting off the scooter before you use the handles as support in standing up. If not you can again tip over. Remember this is a very light scooter .
  • Reveiw the Travelscoot website to become familiar with how it assembles, the battery is connected and to see how that handles can be pulled out. http://www.travelscoot.com/demonstration.htm

Hope this info helps you.

I just returned from an Alaska cruise on which I took my Pride Sonic. The only problem I had was too much help. I've had it a long time and know what I can and cannot handle with it. Each time I came back to the ship I was rushed by at least 3 "helpers" each of whom wanted to do something different. I even took it on a tendered shore trip. HAL has at least 2 tenders that are capable of taking wheelchairs and scooters of smaller sizes. It does have a key which I always take with me and I left the scooter on a public dock while on a 4-hour whale watching tour. My Sonic has taken cobblestones in Boston and St. Louis like a champ and I have even taken a full tour of some caves in Missouri but it is slightly larger than the Travelscoot I think.

I really don't think there is a lot of danger of having a scooter stolen.

Happy sailing!

I own a TravelScoot and use it almost every day. My advice is specifically geared to TravelScoot use, not scooter use in general.

1. The TravelScoot is fun to drive. Take some time to get familiar with it before your trip. Get enough experience that you're not driving it tentatively. My favorite place to send first-time users is Target. The aisles are wide and there's lots of room to practice. Spend time there if you can.

2. Is the battery you're getting the SLA (20 lb) or the lithium ion (4 lb)? If it's the li-on, you could alway remove the battery and carry it with you to your table in the dining room. I didn't have to do that because my scoot was always in my sight. I wouldn't let the scoot out of my sight anywhere other than the dining room, and not even there if possible. Either on or off the ship, the scoot can go wherever you go. I take mine in restaurants and shops all the time. The size is a prime advantage of the TravelScoot over traditional scooters. At restaurants I am usually able to park it right by the table. If not, there's usually a space nearby for baby strollers and I can put it there. It takes up the space of one chair at a table, so plan for seating accordingly. (I never sit on mine to dine.) The only place on the ship I wasn't able to take mine was up stairs, and I could have done that if I would have carried it.

3. Inclines: How well the scoot will do depends on your size, which battery you're using, the height of the incline, and how you approach it. Approach the incline head on and give yourself as much of a running start as you can. Lean your body in slightly toward the handlebars to change your center of gravity. You'll know if you're having problems and can grab the staircase handle to help propel you and/or put your feet down to help a little. If the incline is simply too steep, get off and walk beside the scoot. Most inclines will work just fine. Do not stop and start in the middle of the incline. If you stop, you may need to go to the beginning and start over again.

4. The only time I've seen a TravelScoot get tippy was when someone was going too fast and turning at the same time. It's so easy to put your feet down to stop it from tipping, sort of like you would on a bicycle, except you're closer to the ground.

5. Carry the extra belt (if you have one) and the tools with you. You probably won't need them. In the 16 months I've had mine I've never changed a belt. Print out instructions on changing the belt here: http://sizepositive.com/changingtravelscootbelt.htm

6. If you're traveling by plane you might also want to print out these instructions:

http://mytravelscoot.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-and-easier-way-of-airline-travel.html

http://safetravel.dot.gov/larger_batt.html

Happy scooting!

Here are a couple of hints from a long time scooter user:

1. Watch out for toes and small children, especially when backing up.

2. Don't be surprised if someone walks into you. People on scooters are apparently invisible!!!!!

3. Be aggressive about the elevators if you actually want to get on. (see #2)

4. There are many very nice, helpful people out there in spite of #2 and 3.

5. Enjoy!!!!!!

Did you get a handicapped cabin-- the scooter might not fit in the cabin door.

Make sure it gets charged each night- would hate to see you somewhere when the battery runs low.

Did you get a handicapped cabin-- the scooter might not fit in the cabin door.

Make sure it gets charged each night- would hate to see you somewhere when the battery runs low.

The TravelScoot is not the typical travel scooter. It folds up to less than the size of a baby stoller. The OP has already stated it's needed mainly for off the boat. So getting it through a standard cabin won't be an issue.

If you're not familiar with a the TravelScoot check out the website. http://www.travelscoot.com/

Thanks XXOO. Isn't that the scooter that cannot move backwards and you have to use your legs if you want to back up????

They sure are wacky expensive, when compared to the regular scooters, and considering there's not a lot to the machine, that makes no sense to me, except for the portability factor.

Thanks XXOO. Isn't that the scooter that cannot move backwards and you have to use your legs if you want to back up????

They sure are wacky expensive, when compared to the regular scooters, and considering there's not a lot to the machine, that makes no sense to me, except for the portability factor.

Hi Darci

Yes it's the scooter that only moves backed by foot/leg power . Sometiimes referred to as "Flinstone Power"

Agree price is very expensive. Think it's because it's american made with aircraft strength aluminun. Also that it's not mass produced . Good item just very expensive.

While the Travelscoot does not have a reverse gear it will turn a perfect circle on its own axis so in most cases you do not need to push yourself backwards.

When you enter an elevator always go to the left rear. The drive wheel is on the left rear so when it comes time to get off you can circle on your own 'footprint' and drive off forward. You will need to tell people as you get on the elevator that you need the back left corner as more often than not they head to the left side.

On a small elevator head straight in so you have the shortest push backwards.

Practice turning right circles with the Travelscoot when you get it. You can turn the wheel almost 90 degrees right and start your circle.

Because the drive wheel is on the left you will have some trouble turning hard left especially on slippery floors. The front end will want to 'push' as they say in Nascar.

When you enter a tighter space try to always position yourself to leave your exit so you're turning right.

Some safety issues:

1. Always turn your scooter off before getting off it. The accelerator is on the grip and its possible, if you need the handlebars for support as you get off, to accidently twist the grip.

2. When you first get the scooter make sure you're on a level surface and twist the throttle very slowly. It is possible if you crank the throttle to tip over backwards. There are no wheelie wheels.

The travelscoot is the best, lightest (31 to 50 lbs) scooter for travel. It folds easily and takes up the least room in restaurants etc.

Please feel free to send me an email with any questions you have.

I also own a travelscoot which I love using. We bought a bike lock and chain which we have used successfully to secure the scooter when out of our sight. Most recently we used this in Cozumel when we went snorkeling. We locked the scooter to a bike rack like area there and to a post in Grand Cayman. I was nervous about doing that but also really wanted to snorkel.

I also am looking to rent a Travelscoot for Israel and Europe. I take the charge cord with me when I use the scooter I own but, of course, it is 120 V for Canada. What do people do for charging the battery in Europe if you want to be gone for a day? If I was at a restaurant, I would want to charge it while I was not using it. I know there is a limit for the life of the battery and that limit can depend on many factors.

Please let me know your experiences.

I also am looking to rent a Travelscoot for Israel and Europe. I take the charge cord with me when I use the scooter I own but, of course, it is 120 V for Canada. What do people do for charging the battery in Europe if you want to be gone for a day? If I was at a restaurant, I would want to charge it while I was not using it. I know there is a limit for the life of the battery and that limit can depend on many factors.

Please let me know your experiences.

If it comes rented with the standard battery you should get on average around 6-8 miles to a charge. If it comes with the Lithium battery should should get on average 10-12 miles a charge. You need to first ask yourself the question how many miles per port do you anticipate driving it ? If more than think that you need to bring both a power converter and plug adaptor. Note you might need multiple pluig adapters as they can vary between countries.

Would also suggest you ask the rental company as you don't want to do some thing that might damage the battery.

For what it's worth . Though I use a Pride Go Go that averages 10 miles, I've been out all day and never had to recharge it until I got home.

The lithium batteries that I bought with my travelscoot are dual voltage. Therefore I have been able to successfully charge them with just the plug adaptor. I don't know about the SLA battery. On cruise ships I just use the regular plug by the desk. I bought two batteries but have been out all day on tours and only used one

Hi Katisdale

I own a Lynx3 and have been quite happy with it until our recent cruise. The battery did not seem to hold the charge very long. We had a cabin at the front of the ship and I was on long halls with carpet. I know that puts a drag on the battery but I didn't think it should make that much of an impact. In Costa Maya, I drove the length of the ship, the length of the pier, around the little shopping area by the pier and was concerned about making it back to our cabin. I will go and see my scooter man shortly but based on that experience, you can see why I am concerned.

I would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have based on their experience. FYI the scooter is only 18 months old and I only use it for cruises, conventions, airports and shopping extravaganzas. I am able to manage my day to day activities including work without it.

Thank you as always

Joy

Hi Katisdale

I would appreciate any thoughts anyone might have based on their experience. FYI the scooter is only 18 months old and I only use it for cruises, conventions, airports and shopping extravaganzas. I am able to manage my day to day activities including work without it.

Thank you as always

Joy

Since the scooter is not being used regularly are you at least charging the battery once a week for 8-12 hours as recommended by most manufacturers ? Even if you haven't used the scooter that week it still needs to be charged otherwise you lessen the life of the battery.

What type of a battery do you have? I know that batteries tend to hold less of a charge the older they get. I've certainly found that to be true of my rechargeable camera batteries but as yet have not noticed any problem with my scooter batteries.

I was instructed to keep the battery plugged in and charging at all times. I am told I cannot overcharge this battery.

Most manufacturers instruction manuals state to next exceed charging for a specific period of time. Though you've been told that your battery cannot be overcharged, whoever told you that failed to tell you that leaving the battery plugged in indefinitely can cause damage to the connecting wires. The wires can overheat, fuse together and or even burn out. Resulting in the battery not getting the proper power connection , thus leading batteries inabilty to hold a charge. As a general rule most batteries only last 2 years depending on use. Suggust you have the battery charge tested and wire connections checked out.

For what it's worth - According to the Owner's manual on Invacare's websites, it specifically states to unplug the batteries once the charger light turns green. So it appears that the manufacturer does not recommend leaving it plugged in after the battery is full charged.

I’ve been using my Travelscoot for nearly a year now. I purchased it for pretty much the same reasons you are renting one, Osteoarthritis in most of my major joints, back and feet. I need it to be able to walk distances….after walking a block I need to sit and rest a bit. On a daily basis that isn’t a problem but if I want to go shopping for any length of time, the zoo, museums or on a cruise/facation I really need the extra help in getting around.

Last year we booked a Med/Transatlantic cruise out of Rome and the Travelscoot was a Godsend. I was able to get all around Rome and our ports of call...Barcelona; Malaga; Palma de Mallorca; Las Palmas and Bermuda. The Travelscoot did well on the narrow cobblestone streets. We booked a tour in Rome and the Scoot fit nicely in the back of the van without breaking it down and the same for all the motor coach tours….I just had to drop the handlebars to the lowest level and they sat the Scoot right in the luggage area of the busses without completely folding it up. It was great in areas without cut-out curbs as you can easily lift the scoot over the curb.

This scooter is best for those with some mobility. I highly recommend reading Elizabeth Fisher’s blog on the Travelscoot as she has compiled a lot of good information from other user’s experiences, as she has added some here. On my two cruise experiences I did NOT have a handicapped room and though I could not “drive” the scoot into the cabin, it was easy to get in with just a light tip of the back end (me holding the front and hubby at the back doing the tipping) and I was able to do it myself if needed. It took up little room in the cabin. On a Caribbean cruise my sister traveled with us as the third in the cabin and we still got around the cabin fine. I found that I only needed to recharge every other day (regular sized Li-ion). I purchased a small retractable bike lock from Megallens.com http://www.magellans.com/store/Safety___Security___Luggage_Locks___TagsSL104?Args=

The Travelscoot was wonderful for getting around airports. Following Elizabeth’s hints I had no problems getting up ramps and I am a full figured gal.

Here is a link to a few photos

http://picasaweb.google.com/nieciez/TravelScoot#

DSC00914.JPG

DSC00042.JPG

DSC00098.JPG

Archived