Where is the best Bouillabaisse to be found in Marseille?

lives to cruise

Oh I wish I had noted the restaurant where we had a terrific Bouillabaise. It was to die for. I do know it was on the west side of Vieux Port where there is row of restaurants. The fish market is close by. Hopefully someone else will have a name

One thing to watch for is who is eating at the restaurant. There are a lot of them at the old port but only a few seem to attract what looks like a local crowd. No locals no to eating there, but be sure that the "locals" are actually eating and not shillls.

I can agree with the recommendations for Chez Fonfon. The food was spectacular and the service impeccable. Their signature dish is the bouillabaisse and they serve it as if it was the "only" thing on their menu. All the fish brought to your table and then assembled in your plate. A great meal and a fabulous memory. It is a small place and if you can get a window table it will be that more special.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
I can agree with the recommendations for Chez Fonfon. The food was spectacular and the service impeccable. Their signature dish is the bouillabaisse and they serve it as if it was the "only" thing on their menu. All the fish brought to your table and then assembled in your plate. A great meal and a fabulous memory. It is a small place and if you can get a window table it will be that more special.

Hi Pete,

Hi Pete,

Have a question about Chez Fonfon - do you know if one person from the group orders bouilabaisse, all the others have to order it? Given the price per dish per person (50 euros now), I'm wondering if it's like a buffet style .... If it is, then the restaurant probably won't allow for just one order?

Or this is not the case. You can very well just order one bouilabaisse and have the other people order something different?

Many thanks!

I think that price sounds about right. Some restaurants might actually charge more than E50 for authentic Bouillabaisse and at that price you want to make sure you are getting the true dish.

Because so many restaurants in the city and surrounding area advertise "authentic" Bouillabaisse (which isn't) and were considered to be tourist traps charging high prices for mediocre food and giving an underwhelming "Bouillabaisse experience", those restauranteurs who did actually serve authentic quality Bouillabaisse got together a number of years ago and created a "Bouillabaisse Charter". Only those who serve traditional quality Bouillabaisse are permitted to be members and should display their membership. If you search on the net for Bouillabaisse Charter Restaurant Members Marseille, you should find the website easily. It lists all members. You can then compare reviews, prices etc and decide which you might prefer.

Chez Fonfon is one of the most famous restaurants in Marseille and sits in an charming little mini port where you would least expect to find it, but there are others too.

Whichever you choose, do reserve ahead as they can be busy with tourists and locals alike. Local people will go to celebrate a special occasion such as a birthday or anniversary.

It is not inexpensive to make and a lot of work goes into it.

It is a meal in itself, usually the soup comes first then the fish. You should definitely not order a starter, but could go for dessert if you still have a corner to fill.