Solo at the beach?

readruntravel

I'm taking my first solo cruise one month from today. I'm open to meeting new people, but also just as happy spending time alone. I go to restaurants, movies, theme parks, etc by myself, but the one thing I realized I've never done solo is go to the beach.

How do you manage solo at the beach? Are there typically lockers to store things if I want to swim or snorkel? Is it okay to leave non-valuables (towel, book, sunscreen) unattended?

The ports I'll be at are Nassau, St. Thomas and Tortola in case anyone has specific information on these ports. Thanks!

I know this has been discussed multiple times on this forum so if the search feature is working (and I guess that's a big "if" although I have not had problems with it when I tried) you could try searching for them.

I have a little waterproof case that goes around my neck where keep a credit card, ship card, a little cash, etc. It has stayed dry but I am not brave enough to put my phone in there although it would fit! Other than that I don't bring anything valuable.

I try to befriend some fellow cruisers and ask them to keep an eye on my shoes and towel when I go in the water.

Others may have different experiences, but I haven't had any problems. I am afraid of taking a cab alone to/from the beach though, so try to make sure I am not alone for those.

I'm taking my first solo cruise one month from today. I'm open to meeting new people, but also just as happy spending time alone. I go to restaurants, movies, theme parks, etc by myself, but the one thing I realized I've never done solo is go to the beach.

How do you manage solo at the beach? Are there typically lockers to store things if I want to swim or snorkel? Is it okay to leave non-valuables (towel, book, sunscreen) unattended?

The ports I'll be at are Nassau, St. Thomas and Tortola in case anyone has specific information on these ports. Thanks!

When I went snorkeling alone at a beach in Aruba, I put valuables (ship key card, photo id, phone, credit card, cash) in a waterproof pouch and tethered it to my neck. Towel, shoes, tshirt, etc were left fine on the beach.

I would Google the beach you're interested in and see if lockers are available. Maybe there's a resort you can pay a day use fee.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Hi, have you seen if there is a roll call started for your cruise? That is

a nice way to meet other folks and you can see if anyone also wants

to go to the beach...:)

I always sail solo and over the years (I can't think of every cruise)

but it seems to me, I have found folks 1) going to the same beach

or 2) finding folks at the beach....people on cruises are usually very

friendly:D

I am cruising next month (solo of course)....I have 1 ship tour booked,

1 independent tour booked and trying to figure out if I just want to

go to the beach in Antigua or take a tour:)

Oh, you asked about lockers? Every beach is different.......depends

on where you are going. I bring a tote bag with sunscreen, a book,

towel and a small crossbody bag..........s&s card, credit card and

some cash.,,,,I wear a cover up over my bathing suit.

Edited by Lois R

Most beaches in the Caribbean do not have lockers. I always travel solo, and have a tried and true technique. I bring my towel/ sunscreen/ phone/ ect in a plastic bag from the grocery store or Target, nothing fancy. I usually try to find some reasonably honest looking people (think grandparents there with their grandchildren) and ask if they would mind looking after my stuff... Otherwise, I just plop the bag down in the shade somewhere and try to keep an eye on it while I swim. So far, never had an issue...