Scenic dorset tour

We arrive in Portland Port (Dorset, UK) on September 2, 2014 (Brilliance of the Seas). Is anyone aware of a scenic Dorset tour, other than the ships excursions, which leave from the cruise terminal? We are interested in the Dorset countryside, the Jurassic coast and perhaps Corfu Castle.

If you google Jurassic coast tours you should come up with some options

We did a private tour to the Swannery & other areas but I did see other tours for what you are looking for

We used Extra mile

I found others on our roll call to share the mini coach

we had 12 which was comfortable ..I would not do more in the coach ;)

They will work with you do do a custom tour

lyn

Edited by LHT28

We used Extra mile

I found others on our roll call to share the mini coach

we had 12 which was comfortable ..I would not do more in the coach ;)

They will work with you do do a custom tour

lyn

We are on the same TA cruise as the OP. We found all of the roll call tours were full. So I started one to Stonehenge from Portland. [sorry it is full, too] I found that Dorset tours had used all of their smaller vehicles. We had to take a 27 passenger minibus.

If there are still vehicles available-- there are likely additional passengers on our cruise looking for tours. [if you are willing to organize it]

We are on the same TA cruise as the OP. We found all of the roll call tours were full. So I started one to Stonehenge from Portland. [sorry it is full, too] I found that Dorset tours had used all of their smaller vehicles. We had to take a 27 passenger minibus.

If there are still vehicles available-- there are likely additional passengers on our cruise looking for tours. [if you are willing to organize it]

Hope you can find others to share the tour

Did you check with Extra Mile tours to see if they were available they have a smaller coach

http://www.extramileuk.co.uk/special-occasions/jurassic-coast-tours/

we are also interested scenic Dorset. We have booked the ships excursion to Corfe Castle just to be on the safe side, but are still exploring other options.

If you want to DIY to Corfe Castle, take the ship's shuttle to Weymouth, then the half-hourly train to Wareham (journey time about 30 mins, cost £10.20 p/p day-return) then a 10 minute taxi ride (£10 to £12) to Corfe Castle. There's a taxi rank at Wareham station - but not at Corfe Castle, so arrange for the driver to return for you at an agreed time

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/corfe-castle/

JB :)

• 3 months later...
If you want to DIY to Corfe Castle, take the ship's shuttle to Weymouth, then the half-hourly train to Wareham (journey time about 30 mins, cost £10.20 p/p day-return) then a 10 minute taxi ride (£10 to £12) to Corfe Castle. There's a taxi rank at Wareham station - but not at Corfe Castle, so arrange for the driver to return for you at an agreed time

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/corfe-castle/

JB :)

Hmmm JB,

This is home territory for me, but I don't think I would be comfortable trying to do a DIY from Weymouth to Corfe Castle. Maybe in a few years time when the Swanage Railway gets it's permanent connection to the Main line at Wareham, but until then I would be inclined to take the ship's tour or do as Tank did and arrange a private tour.

For anyone following that lead, and who has the opportunity to influence the itinerary, get the driver to go 'across the ranges' from Lulworth to Corfe Castle and then, except in high season, when the queues at the junction beneath the castle are horrendous as folks leave the beach, take the road across the top of the Purbecks, past the Isle of Purbeck Golf Club ( fabulous views of Poole harbour and across the bay to the Needles) to Studland where you can stop for lunch at the Bankes Arms Studland (not to be confused with the Bankes Arms Corfe Castle), and then return via Swanage before taking the Langton Matravers detour on the way back to Corfe Castle in order to get the most spectacular views looking down on the castle, then returning through Corfe Castle village then taking the main roads back to Portland.

Alternatively go the other way to Lyme Regis (the 'Cobb' harbour wall was made famous by the film 'The French Lieutenant's Woman') see the highest cliff in England (Golden Cap) and the Jurassic coast and then return via Abbotsbury and Chesil Beach not forgetting Portland Bill.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

• 4 months later...
We arrive in Portland Port (Dorset, UK) on September 2, 2014 (Brilliance of the Seas). Is anyone aware of a scenic Dorset tour, other than the ships excursions, which leave from the cruise terminal? We are interested in the Dorset countryside, the Jurassic coast and perhaps Corfu Castle.

Don't know if you have found a tour by now but we are planning on doing the Jurassic Jaunts Tour with Andy. Thought another couple was interested but they aren't so have room for two more. You can email me at carolny45@aol.com if your interested, hard to keep up with all the posts on the board

Carol

• 2 months later...

My husband and I joined a small cruise critic group on a tour departing from the Portland dock. The tour organizer (Pete) arranged for Jurassic Cabs to provide a driver and a van for the day. Having a van allowed us to use smaller local roads that a bigger bus would not be able to travel.

We drove to Salisbury and took in the cathedral, saw the Magna Carta, and wandered the market. We moved on to Corfe and visited the castle dating back to the 11th century. We were lucky to find a group of Viking reenactors at the castle gates. Later, the group visited either a pub or a tea room for refreshments.

Luke, our terrific driver, was cheerful and prompt in picking us up at each location. Luke also works at the firing range, and brought us back from Corfe on a local road going through the range that is only open on the weekends, sharing information about the range and its targets.

We had a great experience and would definitely use Jurassic Cabs again. jurassic-cabs dot com

Edited by SproutTrout